Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The situation looks hopeless for our Viking hero. Should I just end the game the next turn?

Yes
- 1 (20%)
No
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 15, 2019, 01:31:48 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: A Viking's Tale (SG)  (Read 48952 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
A Viking's Tale (SG)
« on: November 16, 2018, 06:22:05 am »

The year is 908, two years after the unsuccessful First Crusade for the reconquest of Eastern Aquitaine from Paganic Germany. Pope Callistus II led the mighty armies of Christendom to drive the Germanic pagans from the place, only to be countered by the mightier army of Scandinavian Empire, which ruler, Fylkir Jedvard af Munso, willingly helped Paganic Germany. Fylkir is a religious leader of the entire Germanic Pagan world, meaning that it was his duty to help the fellow Germanic pagan. The Christian Army was quickly countered with a quick siege of Rome and fighting in the Eastern Aquitane against the crusaders, resulting in the Pope to cancel the Crusade. There are rumors that Fylkir Jedvard plans to invade England, and they're very likely true, but for now, we're going to focus on the present day.

You're a Viking mercenary band leader, who lives off the plundering and fighting for money on the side of the rulers of the world, be they Muslim, Pagan, or even Orthodox Christian. You're an illegitimate child of a Norse noblewoman, meaning the nobles do consider you more than a simple lowborn, though you're still not considered "truly and fully" noble. You haven't became a mercenary band leader because you wanted to confirm your nobility status, but because you were always fascinated with the thrill of the combat. Even your tutor, a friend of your mother, educated you about warfare and tactics. Right now, you're standing near the Gulf of Heligoland, on the western shores of Denmark. You look at your small fleet, realizing that you'll never go back to the peaceful life, because you know that you're on the way to wealth, combat mastery, renown, and respect. It is your tale; a Viking's tale.

Welcome to my very first Suggestion game! In this game, you're a Viking mercenary band leader, living in an alternative history world inspired by my Crusader Kings 2 Norse campaign. The Norse faith got reformed to stand up against the rush of Christian missionaries, with Scandinavia eventually getting united under one Fylkir: A spiritual and a secular ruler of all Norsemen/Germanic Pagans! I plan on using primarily 6d; I could use 20d in some rolls, but it might be not needed, we'll see. The game's goal is to, well, live like a Viking warlord, which means a lot of plundering and blood eagle carving. Remember one thing, though: The game is permadeath, meaning you'll have to somehow balance your bravery and wits, less you die dueling a powerful Andalusian duelist, or be seen as a cowardly sissy who commands the men from behind, but never participates in battles by himself.

Sheet and Equipment Choice:
Name (Only the first name is required, since you're kinda lowborn. Needless to say, it must sound Scandinavian/Norse.
Starting Equipment:
A. A mail shirt, and a shield plus a short sword (can do both piercing and slashing damage, but not as specialized as a polearm or an axe, good at parrying, good armor penetration with the stabbing attacks)
B. A mail shirt, and a shield plus an axe (good at chopping limbs off, somewhat decent armor penetration, bad at parrying)
C. A mail shirt, and a shield plus a mace (good at incapacitating enemies and smashing armor, bad at parrying)
D. A studded leather armor, and a shortbow plus a spear (The first is, as you have guessed, is a ranged option with okay-ish armor penetration. The second is the best for penetrating armor and killing enemies with vital organ damage, but gets stuck easily, and you can't parry at all with it)

Spoiler: You start with... (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: A Viking's Tale (SG)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:31:19 am »

Tód the Berserker, B

the level of historical inaccuracy I'm expecting is staggering

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:30:46 am »

Tód the Berserker, B

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:28:08 am »

Tód the Berserker, B

+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:07:04 am »

((Well, that's CK2 for ya. As a note, I have to say that the Eastern Aquitaine is an exclave of Germany.))

You're known as Tod The Berserker; a ruthless warrior known for his sheer raw strength supplied by anger. You enter the board of your personal long ship, with the warrior awaiting your course. A tall man with black hair and braided beard approaches you, bowing to you without falling on the knees.

"Greetings, Captain! I'm Sigurd, Your navigator and advisor, and I already can suggest a course for You." - The man pauses briefly before continuing the talking with excitement in his medium-pitched voice. "The most obvious target for our plunderin' would be an Independent Duchy of York. The Duke has managed to maintain independence for almost a decade, thanks to the marriage and alliance policy with Scottish king. Yorkish army is relatively small, being composed of cheap Scottish mercs and Anglo-Saxon peasant levy. As an another suggestion, I'd like to mention Brittany: The trip will be longer, but it's somewhat richer and better defended. The Bretons are capable of assembling a force sizable enough to fight back, meaning that fighting them in the open can be dangerous for us. We, of course, can also attack Burgundy or England, but they can assemble a VERY big army. Ultimately, the sailing course is up to You to decide, and I'm just offering some suggestions." You follow Sigurd to the rudder, with the men striking their axes and maces against their shields, creating a cacophony of clanking iron. The people are ready to set sail as soon as you say.

With the current amount of food, you can move up Western coast of the real world France/Southern coast of Iberian peninsula.

Spoiler: Current assets (click to show/hide)

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 06:38:52 pm »

Lets head to York, up the river Ouse but beware the Aegir.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 04:50:24 am »

Lets head to York, up the river Ouse but beware the Aegir.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:39:11 pm »

Tod The Berserker agrees with the suggestion of raiding Independent Duchy of York. "Nothing like a good ol' warm-up" - He commented. By his command, the sails and the course were set at the Duchy. 3 days later, the fleet arrives at the eastern coast of British Isles, then goes along the river Ouse, landing in the territory of The Duchy of York. The scouts have reported a village ahead, but to reach it, you must go through the forest.

-33 food. Would you like to split up the troops into smaller squads/regiments?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 04:42:14 am »

Split them up in to smaller regiments and go in for the kill.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 01:52:05 pm »

+1 surround the village first.
(captives can be sold in Dublin)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 03:49:59 pm »

Bypass the village in search of a more difficult target. We should go after something high value while we are still fresh and have the element of surprise.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 03:23:43 am »

+1 surround the village first.
(captives can be sold in Dublin)
Actually, Ireland stayed Catholic Christian in my CK2 game (I used 769 starting date), so I don't think you can sell them in Dublin, but you definitely can sell captives in Denmark/Scandinavian Empire.

On the command of Tod, the Norse warriors spread themselves into smaller squads, forming a wide front. First rank had axe throwers, second rank had Tod The Berseker and Sigurd with their housecarl bodyguards, followed by atgeir wielders and heavy axemen, and the last rank had archers. They march through the forest, eventually ending up at the village's wheat fields. (6) The villagers seem to be completely unprepared, so the sight of panicking Anglo-Saxons makes the Norse raiders break their formations and start to loot and plunder immediately. (1) The village's food supplies are rather sparse, (2+1 for light infantry being the first in the ranks/first to act) however, they got a decent amount of captives. (6) The villagers are completely dominated by fear, causing them to flee in every directions: some even fled right into the rampaging Norse, getting themselves killed.

+10 to food, 30 prisoners.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 03:32:27 am »

BUMP!

I need at least two players to move the story forward.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 03:43:12 am »

Hold in the village for now. Enjoy the fruits of your conquest for a few days while you send scouts out to find your next target.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 03:47:17 am »

Hold in the village for now. Enjoy the fruits of your conquest for a few days while you send scouts out to find your next target.
While it's not very Viking, it would be nice to have a base for now. +1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38