Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There is something in the woods  (Read 1923 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
There is something in the woods
« on: October 22, 2019, 02:58:08 am »

There is something in the woods...

It's an old woods, that surrounds the town. Pines and dogwoods on the mountain side, undercut by little streams here and there. Ferns in red dirt litter the floor, and bird calls seem to echo through the trees. Bear country, they say, though you have never seen one.
The town it'self is small, but larger than it could be. It used to base a lumber camp, but now days it's mostly the mine and the inertia of those who've lived here all their lives that keep it on the map. You find it boring, but it's 40 miles to the next over, and your little truck eats gas like it has no business doing.

Who are you, by the way?

A. A young boy, with quick hands and no concept of empathy.
B. A teenage girl, with a misanthropy too strong for your age.
C. Someone else...

Your house was on the edge of town, and you used to wonder out into the woods on your own where the mountain ends and the hills were shallow enough to travel without too much effort. You never thought much of it; just a place to go where you can be alone with your thoughts, where you can drop the mask for just a little. Today though, you found something. Further out than you usually go, though not the farthest you've been. There it was. A few miles into the pines and seemingly untouched, covered in dust.

It was...

A. An alter of some sort. Covered in red wax, with strange symbols scratched into the wood underneath.
B. An old shack, (cottage?) with the window frames empty and the door broken down by the elements.
C. A stash in a hollowed out tree. A long gun, a knife, and an old booklet wrapped in leather.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:59:50 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is something in the woods
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:57:44 am »

C: A grumpy old man, that lives alone.
C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 05:03:42 am »

C
+1
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:59 am »

B, C.

Edit: also, don't take this the wrong way, but "wander" might be the word you're thinking of: to travel aimlessly or explore. "Wonder" means to think about something.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:31:29 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 05:50:16 am »

B, A
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:30:21 pm »

C

You are a salted old man with a slowly graying beard. You were a woodsman all your life, and made your living at the lumber camps in your youth, but you resented the move to electric saws and corporate management and when the camps finally closed years later you saw it with some bitter satisfaction. When so much of the town disappeared with the camps you managed to buy up an old house on the edge of the woods. You pay your bills off a meager retirement you set up years ago, but you don't need much money.

A stash of treasures...

The stash you found has peaked your interest. You gather up the items and bring them back to your shack to look at. The gun is custom make by look of it. A bolt action breech with a long rifled barrel. The stock is dark wood of a kind you don't recognize, and patterns and tally-marks are scratched into it's surface. A leather pouch tied onto the fore-stock produces a pile of bullets. These are obviously home made, and seem to be comprised of an iridescent black metal. Taking one apart reveals the powder inside is dry and usable, and you assume they would still fire if you wanted. The rounds measure at .333, but don't match anything you could buy in town. You take it apart piece by piece, cleaning the dust and noting the engravings even behind the rifling in the barrel. This gun has been well used.

Next you take a look at the knife. It's a strange thing, seemingly made of two separate metals foraged together. Most of the blade is made of silver, but the top edge and tip is something else entirely. It almost looks like gold, but it's too solid, and dosent bend or fold under weight. The handle is carved from bone and engraved with lines in many different languages. You recognize the line in English as scripture, though you can't remember where you have heard it before. It's a fixed blade of 5 inches, curved ever so slightly with a single edge.   

Last of all is the leather wrapped booklet, and you open it eagerly, hoping for some answers. The pages are yellowed and brittle, and some are clearly ruined with water damage. You pick through the pages with the utmost care, like a surgeon in a dying man. Useless, you think to yourself. All useless. It's in some other language, Finnish maybe? and these later parts are not even in that, looking more like runes than regular letters. Frustrated and almost ready to toss the book aside, find a single page in English, burned into the leather of the back cover.

It reads as such: "If you find this journal, I am likely dead. Take my things if you must, but bury my body if it is still nearby. Burn it, if you can. My name is Algot Jukanpoika. Across the sea, we would hunt the old things for life, but they are few and our souls went hungry. I have heard that this is a land of darkness, and old things grow in such lands. I came here with many others to hunt, but we could not hunt them here. There are few of us left. We will find life, or we will die in this land. I hope yet to find the former."

Such is the story you think to yourself. So many people came here to build a life. Not all survived. You flip back through the other pages, admiring the sketches and landscapes here and there. You could probably translate some of the other pages, if you wanted. Maybe find out where he was living. There might be more things there for you, or records in better condition than this book.

You decide to translate;

A The first page of the journal. A story starts at the beginning after all.
B A page with a drawing of a landscape. Maybe this will give you a location to search?
C A damaged page with stains upon it. Probably more difficult. Probably less useful.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 02:49:32 pm »

A

Let's start from the beginning.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 04:00:34 pm »

B
Perhaps it would be better to understand what the end means before delving in.

Avanti!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 04:44:29 pm »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile