Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The situation looks hopeless for our Viking hero. Should I just end the game the next turn?

Yes
- 1 (20%)
No
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 15, 2019, 01:31:48 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: A Viking's Tale (SG)  (Read 49825 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: A Viking's Tale (SG)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 04:02:03 am »

Hold in the village for now. Enjoy the fruits of your conquest for a few days while you send scouts out to find your next target.
While it's not very Viking, it would be nice to have a base for now. +1

Partying to celebrate a conquest sounds vaguely viking to me.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 04:24:02 am »

Hold in the village for now. Enjoy the fruits of your conquest for a few days while you send scouts out to find your next target.
While it's not very Viking, it would be nice to have a base for now. +1

Partying to celebrate a conquest sounds vaguely viking to me.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:03 am »

The Viking warriors celebrate their victory by stealing (3,4) the remaining valuables and burning the village. 2 days later, Tod The Berserker sends his scouts for a target suitable for a night raid. (3) They find another village, this time having a small militia patrolling it with torches in their hands. (4+1) Scouts return to the Tod's raiding band, leaving no suspicion among the militia. They and the entire warband awaits further orders.

+30 ducats, no food expenses due to the village being ravaged.

Tip of the day: Prisoners can be either ransomed or "donated" for sacrifice to the priests. Ransom gives you ducats, while donation can give you new troops and officers. Sufficiently large amount of prisoners donated as sacrifice can even give you an additional ship.

Spoiler: Current assets (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 01:18:12 pm »

Have the scouts watch the militia for a day or so, to learn their patrol route. Rush the village while the militia are as far away as possible, and try to quickly grab hostages and a defensible position with archers on roofs before they arrive.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 10:00:44 am »

Have the scouts watch the militia for a day or so, to learn their patrol route. Rush the village while the militia are as far away as possible, and try to quickly grab hostages and a defensible position with archers on roofs before they arrive.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 12:09:06 pm »

Unless you rush into the fray of the battle by yourself, you can beat them by simply blitzing and overwhelming them: They aren't Duke's levies, they're simply a bunch of Anglo-Saxon yokels whose entire combat experience involved spooking off bandits at best, or beating up training dummies at worst.

So yeah, if you wait a day, the Duke will probably receive a word about the Viking raiders and retaliates. It's still up to you, though: I'm not gonna railroad anything.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 12:15:35 pm »

Then yeah. Blitz em. Lead with the archers and skirmishers, in hopes these yokels can be defeated before they get in range to do us any actual damage.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:41 am »

Then yeah. Blitz em. Lead with the archers and skirmishers, in hopes these yokels can be defeated before they get in range to do us any actual damage.
+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »

+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 03:26:56 pm »

On Tod's command, the raiders gather together and march at the village, hoping to quickly take and loot the village via element of surprise, limited vision, and sheer quickness. (5) (5+2 VS 5) The Viking archers unleash two barrages: One with the standard arrows and against the militia, and the other with fire arrows and targeted at peasantry's homes. The arrows pierce through the leather armor of the village militia, causing severe casualties, then the next fiery barrage sets multiple houses at fire! Skirmishers move forward and throw axes at the militia, causing even more casualties. Militia charges at the skirmishers in panic, managing to wound some of them, but ultimately get routed into the forest, along with the peasants. The sagas will surely be written about this day!

(5)(5) The village had a lot of provision, and the Vikings have captured a lot of prisoners. 

+50 to Food, +50 Prisoners. Also, holy Odin: That's a lot of fives! I'm not cheating, I swear, I'm amazed myself!

Tip of the day: Housecarls are your bodyguards and the elite unit of Scandinavia: They throw axes before engaging, they wear heavy chain mail armor, they've extremely high morale, defensive and offensive capabilities, and they've the highest upkeep among Scandinavian units. 

Spoiler: Current assets (click to show/hide)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 06:50:15 am »

Bump.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 07:16:19 am »

Lets scout out another village to raid.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »

Lets scout out another village to raid.

+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 10:03:07 pm »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 03:47:00 am »

(3) The raiders pillage the village for overall modest valuables, then they send another scouting party. (5)(5) The scouts return at the dawn, reporting that they've found a village with an ongoing fair/carnival. "There'll be loadsa good loot from that one!" - Cheerily said Tod's advisor, Sigurd.

+30 ducats, no food expenses due to ravaged village.

Tip of the day: Once you're well-known enough to the world, your warband may start getting contracts from the rulers of the world. Those kinds of missions can be rather tough, but you gain a lot of money, and eventually, you can hire foreign units.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38