Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The situation looks hopeless for our Viking hero. Should I just end the game the next turn?

Yes
- 1 (20%)
No
- 4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 15, 2019, 01:31:48 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38

Author Topic: A Viking's Tale (SG)  (Read 49852 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Viking's Tale (SG)
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2019, 07:36:27 pm »

Get out and sail back to Corsica to present them the noble.

Also, take inventory of our captives. I'm guessing it is likely we might have scooped up some noble women and children or other people whose skills make them too valuable to sacrifice at the temples back home.

+1
+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2019, 12:55:22 pm »

"(4) Before presenting the Sardinian noble to Corsicans, Tod quickly checks if any of the average prisoners have any notable skills. They find a maid who worked as a cook for the local mayor, so Tod decides to keep her as the primary cook for the naval travel."

When arriving at Corsica, the captain of the guard takes the noble prisoner and gives out a detailed map of Sardinia. 'Put it to good use', said the captain."

Acquired Cook (Adequate)! -2 to food consumption during naval movement. Maps/charts updated.

Spoiler: Current assets (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2019, 01:52:30 pm »

Thank the captain of the guard. Ask him if we can be permitted peaceful entry to a major Corsican city (perhaps only a few vikings at a time, if that makes them feel safer) so that we may spend some of the spoils of our raid and enrich the local economy.

If we gain entrance, spend some money endearing ourselves to the locals. Buy some rounds at the local inn. Buy food for the poor. Spread the word that although we are returning to Scandinavia shortly to gather more men, we will soon be back to harass Sardinia. We would be willing to take on some brave who men seek wealth and adventure, and know the Sardinain countryside.

In addition to volunteers, see if we can hire somebody to travel with us and teach us and our men to read and write Italian. (This would likely be a priest or monk.)

Lastly, if we have any men who already speak Italian. Purchase them some nice clothes, leave them some money, and tell them to remain in Corsica while we return home. They can build connections for us while we are away.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:05:25 pm by Weirdsound »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2019, 02:26:34 pm »

Thank the captain of the guard. Ask him if we can be permitted peaceful entry to a major Corsican city (perhaps only a few vikings at a time, if that makes them feel safer) so that we may spend some of the spoils of our raid and enrich the local economy.

If we gain entrance, spend some money endearing ourselves to the locals. Buy some rounds at the local inn. Buy food for the poor. Spread the word that although we are returning to Scandinavia shortly to gather more men, we will soon be back to harass Sardinia. We would be willing to take on some brave who men seek wealth and adventure, and know the Sardinain countryside.

In addition to volunteers, see if we can hire somebody to travel with us and teach us and our men to read and write Italian. (This would likely be a priest or monk.)

Lastly, if we have any men who already speak Italian. Purchase them some nice clothes, leave them some money, and tell them to remain in Corsica while we return home. They can build connections for us while we are away.

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 13, 2019, 02:21:18 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 13, 2019, 04:40:45 pm »

+1
+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 14, 2019, 01:14:33 pm »

"The captain allows the Norsemen to enter the city, and so they spend a quarter of their looted money on cheap booze for everyone, (2) but the average folk aren't particularly impressed. Then they spent another quarter of the forcefully obtained money to help the poor, (2+1) which does inspires a few of them to join as skirmishers. (2) Overall, the Corsicans aren't willing to seek to fight under the banner of Northmen, but Tod announces that he'll return to Scandinavia to bring the invasion force. However, some fairly rich Corsican has decided to travel with the Vikings and teach them Italian; He'll prove himself as a great teacher, eventually."

"Finally, Tod and his warband sail off back to Scandinavia, to the shores of Denmark..."

-150 gold, +5 skirmishers, -1 special prisoner, acquired Translator (Italian)! Allows interrogation of low-rank prisoners that speak Italian! -120 food (30 food units saved by your cook).

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2019, 02:42:16 pm »

Hand in our prisoners to the temple. Catch up on the news in Scandinavia.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2019, 02:49:15 pm »

+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 15, 2019, 03:02:44 am »

+1
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2019, 03:08:11 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 16, 2019, 12:57:36 pm »

I'll delay the update till tomorrow, because I'm sleepy right now.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2019, 11:45:27 am »

"(Auto 5 for the sheer prisoner amount) You're greeted by holy men, who are absolutely stunned by the amount of prisoners Tod has brought for sacrifice. It draws many fanatics to Tod's banner, to the point where Fylkir Jedvard ordered to gift out some ships to Tod."

"There's nothing particularly new in Scandinavia, outside a very small rebellion from a couple of lowly lords, who have refused to give up their holdings. They were quickly defeated and branded traitors, then got quartered and decapitated."

+3 ships, +125 heavy axemen, +64 atgeir wielders, +5 housecarls.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2019, 03:09:47 pm »

Lets see if we can squeeze some more troops out of this before we go South.

Send word to the high houses of Denmark. We have maps of Sardinia, and an understanding with Corsica. We are at least planning on conducting massive raids of Sardinia, and if things go particularly well, we may seize some land. It may be to a viking lord's benefit to send us some of their non-inheriting sons (and perhaps some extra men) in case we need people to administer said conquered land.

We will likely have to improvise and adapt when we get back to Italy, but in an ideal world we take some coastal cities/castles, put them under control of another viking, and make said viking swear fealty to Corsica. This way, Corsica will help them defend against the Sardinian counter attack. Also, if we turn this into a war between Sardinia and Corsica as opposed to Sardinia vs. The Vikings, their mutual overlord in mainland Italy is less likely to get involved. Once the war is over, we can use our Viking friend's Corsican lands as a base from which to raid other targets in the Mediterranean, without having to swear fealty to Corsica ourselves.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2019, 03:20:40 pm »

Lets see if we can squeeze some more troops out of this before we go South.

Send word to the high houses of Denmark. We have maps of Sardinia, and an understanding with Corsica. We are at least planning on conducting massive raids of Sardinia, and if things go particularly well, we may seize some land. It may be to a viking lord's benefit to send us some of their non-inheriting sons (and perhaps some extra men) in case we need people to administer said conquered land.

We will likely have to improvise and adapt when we get back to Italy, but in an ideal world we take some coastal cities/castles, put them under control of another viking, and make said viking swear fealty to Corsica. This way, Corsica will help them defend against the Sardinian counter attack. Also, if we turn this into a war between Sardinia and Corsica as opposed to Sardinia vs. The Vikings, their mutual overlord in mainland Italy is less likely to get involved. Once the war is over, we can use our Viking friend's Corsican lands as a base from which to raid other targets in the Mediterranean, without having to swear fealty to Corsica ourselves.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38