Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help making a tower design  (Read 882 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
Need help making a tower design
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:18:52 pm »

So I've finally got the motivation to do a big ol megaproject, and it'll be a tower rising from a volcano. However, I'm terrible at designing buildings in this game and  was wondering if you guys had any ideas for a repeatable pattern I can use for a few hundred z levels.

I was thinking of this one
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but I wanted to know what you guys do for this kind of thing.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Need help making a tower design
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »

That's pretty reasonable, though I'd get lazy and replace the single window at the end of the center hallway with two windows, because it'll be easier to build those corners :)

I am also not sure why you need that many trade depots? Isn't a statue garden or a well much more practical?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 04:00:25 pm »

That's pretty reasonable, though I'd get lazy and replace the single window at the end of the center hallway with two windows, because it'll be easier to build those corners :)

I am also not sure why you need that many trade depots? Isn't a statue garden or a well much more practical?

It's just an image I found online, I'll be replacing those with temples/worksphops/etc

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 04:48:42 pm »

I spent a lot of time using marker designations to plan out floor plans. Doing that will help you with the design layout. Everyone gets better at building designs after they spend some time fooling around with it (making a list of the things you want and then marking out the designations to meet those objectives). I found that when I made the design, I enjoyed the construction process more.

I'd suggest using a renewable construction material like the green glass in the image and do not forget to increase your world-gen setting for the "sky ceiling" so you can build as high as you like.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:12:06 pm »

I spent a lot of time using marker designations to plan out floor plans. Doing that will help you with the design layout. Everyone gets better at building designs after they spend some time fooling around with it (making a list of the things you want and then marking out the designations to meet those objectives). I found that when I made the design, I enjoyed the construction process more.

I'd suggest using a renewable construction material like the green glass in the image and do not forget to increase your world-gen setting for the "sky ceiling" so you can build as high as you like.

Sadly, I'm not making it easy on myself by using a renewable material, and the fort is five years old, so world's already gen'd haha

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:56:02 pm »

Pretty much the top.

For some reason, he/she seems to have shops. Not trade depots, shops. They have that distinctive "X" pattern, which means it's from a very old version of the game (before DF2010). The economy doesn't activate these days.
See: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Shop

It is kind of immersion-breaking, but I believe FPS is saved if you use a single-tile stairwell. I also believe dwarves don't have so many problems getting past one another in the latest versions, so one-tile stairwells are A-OK.

It's a good idea to use green glass as a building material (structural integrity is not in the game yet), but you can also use clay or fire clay to make bricks.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:59:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.