Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doctor Loop  (Read 904 times)

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doctor Loop
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

I have a functional hospital for the first time ever in my DF career.  I am so proud!

Several dwarves have already cycled through and seem to be doing ok, but two cases concern me:

one is a Dwarf who is in a traction bench and has been there for some time while others have come and gone.  Meanwhile, the doctor keeps going to him, leaving, then immediately looping back.  his job seems to be stuck at "diagnosing patient."  Is he stuck between two tasks or something?  Interestingly, I think the patient himself is a medical dwarf.

Also, there is another dwarf who is flashing unhealthy (red cross) and according to his medical report he is having trouble breathing.  He is not taking himself to the hospital though.  Is he going to die?  :(

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Loop
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »

In the first case it should be OK - or at least such loops are sometimes seen, and they are resolved without problems, but after some time. I had dwarves with pages after pages of diagnosis history. It seems than one diagnose may lead to another. However, take note if he doesn't have a long list of diagnoses already ordered.

In the second case, it depends on what is causing the trouble. It may be intoxication, or damage to the chests or lungs, or to the nervous system, or a syndrome other than intoxication. The first three are usually (heh) not deadly and they should pass, while the other two may pass or not, and can be lethal.

Small damage to the lungs can cause intermittent breathing trouble, which will actually train the dwarf a bit in toughness and endurance.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 05:28:14 pm »

Yeah, i have had a few of those loops, not sure what the "bug" is there, but it sorts itself out. of course, if you need the doctor for another task, consider swiching diagnoser off.

And thanks for reminding me that i need a hospital. No matter how much my fort is focused on warfare, I always forget i need one until i need one...  :P
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »

Yes, the guy in  traction bench had a list of diagnoses a mile long.  I suspect insurance fraud.

The good news is he's out of the hospital.  I didn't get a found dead notice either so that's good.  The other guy is still huffing and puffing. 

Thanks, experts!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:07:18 am »

I just got one of these diagnosis loops. The patient healed in a few weeks, and the Chief Medical Dwarf got lots of diagnosis XP.