Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer just... leaves?  (Read 1080 times)

M00S12

• Bay Watcher
  • :)))))
    • View Profile
Necromancer just... leaves?
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:53 pm »

So I'm fairly knew to the game and I just recently started a new fort. I decided the take the route of having a bridge block off siegers until they give up. I hadn't gotten a lever hooked up to the bridge yet so when a necromancer showed up I started freaking out. Game is paused from the announcement, order the building of a lever, hope for good luck. I unpause, look at the units list and... it's not there? Did I just get lucky? The whole siege lasted about three seconds of unpaused time.

Also my dwarves started trying to fetch water for some reason but that probably has nothing to do with the necromancer.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Necromancer just... leaves?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:18:03 am »

I've had the same thing. I assumed it was because of the new moving armies meaning that maybe a necromancer army may just pass over your map but not actually have your fort in mind.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:18:53 am »

No, hello/goodbye sieges are caused by a bug, but nobody has been able to produce a save that can reproduce them reliably, so Toady hasn't got any data to work on. The cases I've tried to investigate (after I've found that they left immediately) have shown the sieges to actually have been sent to my fortress rather than somewhere else.

Note that an ideal reproducing save would be from before the beginning of the month, as the decision to perform a siege is made at the season ticks over, with the time from then up until the siege arrived is traveling time.

The hello/goodbye sieges started appearing late in the 0.40.X arc, I believe.

M00S12

• Bay Watcher
  • :)))))
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:35:54 am »

Huh, interesting.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:07:17 am »

It happened a lot more during .44/.43 though. Nowadays it seems to be almost always necromancers.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:43:59 am »

About the sudden rush to fetch water. If you burrowed the dwarfs when the necromancer arrived, your booze might not have been within the burrow.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:23 am »

Next time save the game the necromancer is still there, or better when the siege is just announced, someone will look at the save.

There are two kinds of necromancers, even from the same tower - one is associated with sieges, the other (sneaking about) is formally not. These two kinds can come at the same time. Since changing siege ID of besieging unit to ID of former sieges forces it to abandon the siege, and necromancers are already known to have wonky siege IDs it is possible that the game assigns ID wrongly, which forces the unit to break siege and flee immediately after showing up. If the breaking unit is a leader of some other units (like often a troll leads several other trolls, or a gobbo officer leads a pack of other gobbos), then all these units also break the siege. In a small siege it is possible that only one leader is there, and he can break the whole siege on himself.

So it would be interesting to see if the problem is with the siege proper, or with the units and their siege ID, or something else.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:23:42 am »

Another possibility for the burrow causing mass water hauls is that the bedroom area was not included. Dwarves going to sleep just dropped where they were, and if they were thirsty, it treats them as injured.