Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Set Fort Pop Cap during play.  (Read 927 times)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Set Fort Pop Cap during play.
« on: November 19, 2018, 02:40:44 am »

Currently we have to edit the init file to set our population cap. I suggest there be an option to set it during play so I can spend less time playing with options outside of the game to suit my fancy in the game.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Set Fort Pop Cap during play.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:49:36 am »

While needed right now for fps saving and general management in worlds where huge migrant waves are the norm, it's awfully gamey to have total control over your migrant wave numbers to be an official feature.

Would much rather see in-world features like migrant control requests and sending people away once the migrant system revamp is finally introduced.

This way it wouldn't be absolute control, there's still be a chance of refugees fleeing from an invasion for example to turn up on your doorstep (or even encamped just off map, sending pitiful messengers appealing to your better nature to let them in).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:57:45 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:35:24 am »

I would settle for a migrant wave size limit in the .ini, like there is for invasions. I could easily manage ~15 migrants per wave.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:37:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:52 am »

I would settle for a migrant wave size limit in the .ini, like there is for invasions. I could easily manage ~15 migrants per wave.
Yeah, that would be nice. But there again, Probably wouldn't fit with future plans whereby a hundred fleeing refugees should suddenly be able to surprise you by turning up (if your total pop allows it), even though the mountain home is only sending you 10 at a time.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 02:19:40 am »

How long are your play sessions that you would need to change the population limit more than once?

Typically I'm like: play for a few hours, save, come back later, change cap, play for a few hours.

If you're messing with the cap every season or every year you're doing something weird.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 03:46:38 am »

How long are your play sessions that you would need to change the population limit more than once?

Typically I'm like: play for a few hours, save, come back later, change cap, play for a few hours.

If you're messing with the cap every season or every year you're doing something weird.
Some people like to micromanage their migrant waves. Since, as Bumber mentioned, there's no "max migrant wave size" option, you can fake it by constantly setting your pop cap to "10+current pop" to ensure no more than 10 migrants arrive at a time.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 07:07:27 am »

Migrants create work for the player to do.  It seems fine enough that players opting our of the migrant-work should have to do file-work instead to compensate.   ;) ;)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 01:19:49 pm »

I usually play for 5-10 hours at a time. I go up to a max population of 250 dwarves.

If leave the cap at 250 from the start, migrant waves tend to end up in sizes like: 10, 20, 40, 40, 50, 60, 30 (cap)
It's going to be a lot more waves if I limit them.

To increment in 15's, I'd need to mess with the cap around 16 times. Starting out with a reasonable FPS, that's a lot of times per sitting near the beginning while I'm trying to build the fort.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:25:37 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?