Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: titan/forgotten beast variation "old ones"  (Read 551 times)

kekkres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
titan/forgotten beast variation "old ones"
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:42:31 pm »

so between the post about the new branch manager forgotten beast, and an older one about a three tailed scorpion pretending to be an elf in worldgen I figured it might be cool if some of these randomly generated beings where not simply mindless beings and could think or even speak to some extent. Im not sure what, if any ramifications this might have but the ageless creatures from before time occasionally being cunning anchent intelegances rather than just primordial beasts appeals to me. I had considered the idea of implementing it in terms of a weapon such as "beware its maddening wispers/word" or something like that that spikes stress but that honestly just sounds annoying.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: titan/forgotten beast variation "old ones"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:32:46 pm »

Yeah, their current forms are obviously rather placeholder--I can't believe Toady would ever seriously consider primordial beings made of vomit. I agree that sentience, for some Titans & FBs at least, is highly desirable. I admit I don't keep up with the FotF talks and whatnot, but I imagine that Titans et al will get a major revamp as part of the Mythgen release--assumedly, their sentience (and even existence) will be procedurally determined in each newly-generated world.

Ideally, I'd like to see them aligned (or at least associated) with one or more spheres, and/or landforms, and/or races, and/or civilizations. It'd be cool as hell to see sites that had their own Titan protector. Dwarf Fortress is basically D&D + SimCity + The Sims + Dig Dug + Lemmings, might as well get some Black & White in there too.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.