Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autospy labor  (Read 6933 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Autospy labor
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:07:39 pm »

Ever wonder exactly how a dwarf died? Do you actually trust that doctor with absolutely zero medical skill?

well with a M.D labour of autopsy you can see exactly how a fellow member of your dwarven bretherin met their tradgic end.
The better you are at analyzing all the bite marks, scratches, burns, or other method of maiming, the better you are at telling a fallen dwarfs tradgic or heroic fate.

Using the stock pile "corpses" in a 'location' labeled as a morgue a dwarf specilist will perform an anatomical once over (observation) and assess damage. Medical knowledge of the dwarf anatomy and issues observed will give a morgue specilist huge boosts in their detailed analysis.
the morgue specilist will then report his findings to a medical cheif designated as a nobel.

would be an awesome little bloat feature to the otherwise mundane reality that is the medical system now. let me know what you think.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autospy labor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:11:02 pm »

At least let me practice medicine on corpses. Why is Urist McNewbie learning surgery on someone bleeding out when he doesn't know which end of the knife to hold?

Also, if you're playing right, the cause of death is obvious: magma, gravity, starvation because I got tired of them and locked them in a room, or gobbo.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:16:00 pm »

Yeah, you as a player know what happened to the dwarf by your divine nature. But not all dwarfs were actually present at the time of a dwarfs death.
If an autopsy was done by dwarfs in the game it can significantly improve historical knowledge written in books and other over worldly applications.
It's not just about you as a player.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:29 am »

It could train up Diagnostician.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »

could put cause of death deducted on tombstones and coffins etc. maybe you get a confused type ghost that can be put to rest by assigning a cause of death + date and time and place to place of burial.
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

nik the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 03:20:13 am »

Oh, you mean autopsy. I was thinking, "what does the doctor have to do with auto-spying?"

Yeah, sometimes "Thikot has been found dead" and I check the location. There's a sign of combat so I check the reports. And occasionally the combat report does not even mention the dwarf's death. I have to do my own investigation and look for other hints like "The speardwarf dodges...has collided...neck takes the full force of the impact..."

Let an appointed medical dwarf provide detailed reports on births and deaths and other fortress health metrics.

Does the game keep track of a unit's health record even after the unit dies? If the info exists, then it could be investigated through forensics or divination. Modern medicine is usually quite good at that, but ye olden physicians weren't so accurate about deaths from disease. Trauma casualties should be much easier to determine.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 05:01:16 am »

It shouldn't be too progressive for the era, but the autopsy should update the life-status of the corpse open to non-citizens too and give some prequisites.

• Confirmation of death.
  • Readout of the general injuries // Anatomical insight into health failure such as bleeding to death or asphyxiation.
  • Determinable game solution to render whether this was murder and start profiling suspects after being reported.
Requires & trains observation skill and discipline to tolerate the stench of the corpse and would be a good tool to oust vampires by repeatedly analysing and putting a observant dwarf to task finding the vampiric bite holes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 01:05:30 am »

Does the game keep track of a unit's health record even after the unit dies?
It does, but unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf, which doesn't leave much useful information. Syndromes might remain, so you can probably tell if the dwarf died sober.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:09:24 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

Autopsy would be useful in this system of doctors/hospital. Read "common technologies" example.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172766.0