Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Foxhole - Update 0.20 out! 5-Crew battle tanks, V2-rockets, revamped towns  (Read 3695 times)

Brouzouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello Bay12, I'm giving away three free copies of Foxhole. Post that you want a copy, I'll randomly select and PM the winners. I'll edit the OP when they're gone. Full price is 20$ which is a steal for how many hours I've gotten out of it.

Foxhole is an RTS/MMO hybrid of sorts with an Alternative-WWII theme. It's built like real-time strategy games but every soldier is an individual player with a top-down perspective. You must all coordinate to win. Resources are gathered, processed, turned into equipment, and delivered by players. Defensive structures are all player built, and vehicles require crews to operate. Towns are captured and held for victory across 11 (more coming) maps with a 3x3 grid mainland. Traveling across map borders will put you on the respective border of the next map, and this includes water passage to and from island maps.

Now with 300% more trucks where they probably shouldn't be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some combat footage. Curbing enthusiasm.

You can hop in and just use voice chat to ask around. Most people are pretty friendly. Just don't steal any trucks unless you're absolutely certain nobody is still using it, trucks and motorcycles are easier to just make.

Quick guide:
  • Everything was player built, so don't take more than you need. Ammo is manufactured at 2 clips per gun, and don't take a combat vehicle unless you've watched them in action.
  • If a resource node is being mined by someone else, just find another one. Trucks can cover the map fairly quickly
  • If you drop all your items and sprint on the road, you're nearly as fast as a truck. So if you need a ride to the frontline, don't wait too long. There will be equipment when you get there.
  • If something is needed, ask for it! Give location in world-chat. If nobody is delivering, go to the production regions to make and deliver it!
  • A truck only takes a minute or two to build, so when in doubt on joining just build a new one rather than take somebody else's.
  • Never abandon a combat vehicle for the enemy to steal & repair, and keep them locked.
  • Artillery is OP, Mortars are fun, and Howitzers are funner, but Field-artillery wins wars.
  • Defenses are weaker than you think. Early defenses (Foxholes, wooden pillboxes, walls) can be taken down with the starting rifle.
  • Defenses can be suppressed by shooting them, or blinded with smoke grenades.
  • Don't be scared of Armored Cars. Be terrified of Halftacks. Tanks are more scared of you than you are of them. Motorcycles are for running people over, jeeps are for clans, and FMGs are for masochists, and barges are for shenanigans. All vehicles are built in the home regions of the top three and bottom three maps, and driven from there.
  • Trucks assemble items from stockpiles faster than doing it on-foot. Right clicking does three at a time
  • Weapon accuracy is determined by movement and recoil. All weapons are viable at all stages of the game.
  • All buildings can be destroyed with enough bullets, but if it's concrete then explosives are better
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:08:20 pm by Brouzouf »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Foxhole - RTS/MMO Hybid aka RWR+Planetside - Giving away free copies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:57 am »

I'd be interested in a copy.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Ranged66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 06:43:20 am »

Oh wow, I'd enjoy a copy, thanks!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 07:33:58 am »

I'm interested in a copy too!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 08:13:45 am »

im most def interested in a copy, looks interesting.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 01:23:29 pm »

Oh I was interested in this, sign me up.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 01:47:28 pm »

I am also interested in a copy.

Brouzouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »

Forgot to put an end-time for the giveaway, end of today.

It will still be on sale for 13$ until the 27th.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:45:55 pm »

Very cool looking game. Would definitely love a copy of it to try out.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

I've been kinda interested, but I don't do voice chat and I haven't gotten all that much out of RWR beyond the first couple times I tried it way back in it's beta.

I should probably actually watch those 2 videos before I ask how lethal it is, because I remember RWR killing me super hard constantly, so if it's that, but you also have to re-build kit and walk back up the supply line...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 07:14:20 pm »

Avid player of RWR here, I've also played Foxhole back when it was free and for comparison:

RWR is definitely easier to get into, and there's practically no communication required, just head to the place where all the other players are. The only exception are stealth maps, of which there is exactly one. It's practically impossible for a newbie to screw up anything because it's mostly a concerted effort of individual players as opposed to actual teamwork.

In Foxhole, there is a big focus on communication, with small squads communicating with their commander and the commander communicating with other commanders and the general. If you don't have voice chat you may want to relegate yourself to maintaining the economy, which can be done with text chat. I personally don't like the mining mechanics, but I hear there are plenty of players that enjoy it.

In combat, RWR is FAR more deadly, every bullet has a kill % chance that decreases with range, and on official servers the bots are set to 98% accuracy. Of course, this works both ways; so you might mag dump into a bot only for it to survive and blow you away with a shotgun from across the screen. The combat here is extremely fast paced, with players either bruteforcing the front lines with special weapons or suppressing and maneuvering. Combat is exceptionally brutal in the Pacific DLC, with bolt-action weapons having 80-100% kill chance and exceptional range and accuracy.

In Foxhole, combat is a combination of both extremes, with the slow, attritional creeping forwards on frontlines and the quick brutal combat when taking a location. Such as when defensive emplacements have to be battered down with mortar before players force their way in. There IS an actual HP system, so when fighting at long range you can still limp back after taking a few hits. The kicker here is that death is a fairly big setback, unlike RWR where it's a slap on the wrist.

As for an individual player's roles, RWR lacks specific roles, but offers a fairly wide range of weaponry and equipment. Support roles are kinda blended in together with secondary consumables with no particular changes in play style.

In Foxhole, player roles are more specialized in more ways than just economy and combat. Medics, Riflemen, Machine Gunners, and other such roles all play entirely differently.

Finally, the AI in RWR is sublime on an individual basis but utterly lacking on the strategic level. The AI is only capable of sending more and more soldiers into the fray in an attempt to overwhelm players with brute force, and is incapable of flanking points that players leave undefended. It's a bit less visible in the Pacific DLC where the maps are more sprawling with capture points often surrounded by multiple capture points instead of the more linear front of Vanilla.

Of course, players in Foxhole are infinitely more crafty than an AI, with enemy squads often sneaking around the front to ambush resource convoys or opening multiple fronts.

Also, don't buy RWR if you want PVP, it's practically non-existant.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:38:48 pm by Blaze »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 07:49:36 pm »

If its not too late i would like one too.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Brouzouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 09:30:35 pm »

PM's sent to winners.

You'll be jumping in late in World Conquest #18, the meta shifts during the game as new stuff is unlocked. So be sure to check out some guides and tutorials, and mostly just follow more experienced players until you get the hang of things. Highly recommend having a microphone.

Edit: Only one person has claimed their copy so far, don't forget to check your PMs
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:21:48 pm by Brouzouf »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 03:11:59 am »

If you are still looking to hand some freebies out...my body is ready to recieve your generosity

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 08:13:22 am »

If keys are left, I'm also interested.
Pages: [1] 2