Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about reading legends.  (Read 1117 times)

tedward1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about reading legends.
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:51 am »

Hey all. After starting and generating a young world about four years old at embark, I struck out in the name of The New Walls a civilization of Dwarfs. After arriving with my party of 7 to The Mire of Liberating, a wetland surrounding an active Volcano. After a while of setting up farms and designations I started to use the export legends options with the DFhack utility, and then followed up by loading it into Legends Viewer. According to the legends XML the civ I chose had sent an army of 150 dwarves to attack a goblin spire; upon arrival they attacked and lost one member in the army. The battle ended after this one loss, and the Goblin army was considered victorious. Is this considered normal behaviour? The civilization screen shows the Dwarves as only having 15 population between two locations. Is this related to entities that have recognized or something else entirely?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Questions about reading legends.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:30:34 am »

world sim attacks tend to be decided by checking the military tactics skill of both generals. If the Dwarven army failed that check, they failed the siege.

As for the populations. I know it only checks for sentient creatures, as with the issue of goblin pits being stuffed with trolls means they have way bigger pop than the screen says, I am not sure if it also limits this check to the main race of the entity or something.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:13 am »

In my current world there were years of war between a dwarf civ and an elf civ.  The dwarves consistently had the tactical upper hand and killed elves by the dozens each battle without taking any losses.  Yet each battle listed the elves as the victor.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:46:01 am »

In my current world there were years of war between a dwarf civ and an elf civ.  The dwarves consistently had the tactical upper hand and killed elves by the dozens each battle without taking any losses.  Yet each battle listed the elves as the victor.
You should report that as a bug (so long as you're seeing that in Legends Mode and not a util like Legends Viewer). Losing the leader of the battle can result in a loss, despite an otherwise victorious seeming result. No losses but being recorded as the loser shouldn't happen at all.

Now, I've known the leader of a battle to be a horse or a dog at times, which is pretty amusing...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51:24 am »

The civilization screen shows the Dwarves as only having 15 population between two locations. Is this related to entities that have recognized or something else entirely?
The 149 remaining dwarfs, are they still traveling home?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

tedward1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:50:48 pm »

The civilization screen shows the Dwarves as only having 15 population between two locations. Is this related to entities that have recognized or something else entirely?

There has been no information regarding these 149. They seem to have just disappeared!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:52:42 pm »

There has been no information regarding these 149. They seem to have just disappeared!

If they're all fisherdwarves and soapmakers, they just showed up as the second migrant wave at someone's fort.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:24:05 pm »

You should report that as a bug (so long as you're seeing that in Legends Mode and not a util like Legends Viewer). Losing the leader of the battle can result in a loss, despite an otherwise victorious seeming result. No losses but being recorded as the loser shouldn't happen at all.

Now, I've known the leader of a battle to be a horse or a dog at times, which is pretty amusing...

I don't necessarily agree. It seems perfectly acceptable that an army might shoot some enemies, and then decide to surrender or flee. Could be explained by the elves pushing past static defenses or using some kind of intimidation.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste