Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armok after procedural generated myth?  (Read 2173 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
Armok after procedural generated myth?
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:15:52 pm »

I'm just curious where 'Armok' will figure in procedural generated creation myths etc. Will the game mention the name and will that name be a constant in all generated worlds?
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Armok after procedural generated myth?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:27:45 pm »

It won't, Armok is just a name for a god in the original game, and the reference in the title is just that, a reference.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:21 pm »

It wouldn't be the first game where the "ultimate god" is never mentioned in-context
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:24:44 pm »

Completely disregarded.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:41:28 am »

Toady has never stated anything specific regarding "Armok."  It is basically just a legacy fixture of the title.

Many in the community have come to consider the player to be Armok in the role of a meta-diety who creates and destroys worlds.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:39:55 am »

Hope it stays that way too.
Nothing more pointless than creating a generator to produce completely unique fantasy worlds of any type, oh but, every single one is ruled by a slavemaster blood god and the not at all unique baggage that brings with it.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:55:23 pm »

Toady has never stated anything specific regarding "Armok."  It is basically just a legacy fixture of the title.

Many in the community have come to consider the player to be Armok in the role of a meta-diety who creates and destroys worlds.

My god, I've never thought of it this way. And I've destroyed so many...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 05:00:11 am »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »

I'm ok with the "Armok" concept as an interpretation of the player (at least those who prefer play the game a certain way), but I'm thankful that it's exclusively fanon beyond the reference in the title. Making it an official feature would essentially railroad the generator into creating exclusively dark and gritty worlds if taken to its logical conclusion, and who wants that in a game that advertises itself as a totally open-ended mythology generator?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:07:34 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:21 pm »

I'm ok with the "Armok" concept as an interpretation of the player (at least those who prefer play the game a certain way), but I'm thankful that it's exclusively fanon beyond the reference in the title. Making it an official feature would essentially railroad the generator into creating exclusively dark and gritty worlds if taken to its logical conclusion, and who wants that in a game that advertises itself as a totally open-ended mythology generator?
It might make a good April Fool's mod to have a world generator mod that just makes everything blood. Blood people forming blood civilizations and blood religions, crafting blood weapons to pierce blood armour to make blood opponents bleed to death from their blood walls. Have blood Dwarves dig with blood picks through blood arteries too deep, spilling blood everywhere

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 05:16:29 pm »

It might make a good April Fool's mod to have a world generator mod that just makes everything blood. Blood people forming blood civilizations and blood religions, crafting blood weapons to pierce blood armour to make blood opponents bleed to death from their blood walls. Have blood Dwarves dig with blood picks through blood arteries too deep, spilling blood everywhere

This belongs in the terrible suggestion thread.