Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Points Glitch  (Read 1542 times)

GoatusMax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Embark Points Glitch
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:43:02 pm »

I have found a glitch that makes it so that when I spend my dwarf skill points on start up, it also spends my embark points for buying supplies. Is this something new in Master Work I was unaware of or is this a glitch? Its really frustrating to not be able to spend my skill points that normally would be separate from my equipment points. How do I fix this?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Points Glitch
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:01 pm »

I am pretty sure this is how Dwarf Fortress normally works.  Skill points and supplies buy from the same pool.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

GoatusMax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:13:47 am »

No they don't. They never have for me in the past. The dwarves themselves each have ten points to spend. That has never taken points out of my regular point pool when I spend the dwarves personal points. It makes it so I am unable to spend all of their points. I can't even spend one dwarfs full points because of this. This is not normal.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:42 am »

I'm with thefriendlyhacker on this, either you're playing a parallel universe version of the game or you've never noticed it before.

FWIW, the number of embark points is a world-gen setting, though Masterwork may use scripts to change it for different civs; there's a simple DFHack command for that.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:26:07 am »

I loaded up both a 44.12 vanilla install and an old .30c install.  In both, points were shared between skills and items.

I suspect I know what is causing the confusion, though.  The way vanilla works is that the default embark loadout is set up so that there are normally 200 or so points spare after accounting for all items.  That point pool is shared between both skills and embark items.  The numbers to the right of the skills (that start at 5, and go 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 as you increase skill proficiency) are the costs that are taken out of that pool.  In addition, each starting dwarf gets 10 skill points, and each skill increase costs 1 point.  When increasing a skill, you must have a point available from the dwarf and the 5-9 points available from the shared pool.  However, unless you are handing out more than about 5 skill points per dwarf, you will never hit the 200 shared pool limit before allocating all the points you want to allocate.

If you are not playing vanilla, then the changed prices from modded items may affect how many points you have spare after accounting for a standard loadout.  You may have less, you may have more, in some extreme cases you may have no points left (and you can get free points selling back all the expensive modded items that inflated your point pool).  In any case, your problem is probably that Masterwork's changed pricing is reducing the amount of points you have available after buying a default loadout.  Of course, the solution is quite simple.  Sell some of the default loadout to make room for skills.  This shouldn't be hard since the default loadout has a lot of unnecessary metaphorical fat that can be cut.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

GoatusMax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:55:30 pm »

Ok, I guess that makes sense. I've been playing on lazy newb pack, and it separates the points as far as I can tell. I guess that's just something I'm going to have to get used to in materwork... lame sauce.