Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod! (v0.4 released)  (Read 13657 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod! (v0.4 released)
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:50 pm »

Current version -- v0.4

This is a mod that implements moving fortress parts in Dwarf Fortress. The tar file for download (and installation instructions) can be found here, and the github repository can be found here. The former contains both the source file and a 64-bit Linux binary, so you'll have to compile the mod yourself if the binary doesn't work for you.

Using the mod is (fairly) simple -- build a bunch of floors to be the platform for your moving machine, designate them as such by opening the designation menu and pressing 'P' to select Platform mode, build whatever buildings you want on the platform, then build wheels (in workshop menu) off the side of your moving machine (or in the middle in a gap), and then attach them to windmills via any conduit you desire and watch it run! (Make sure to build the wheels *before* whatever machine components you're attaching to them directly, though, otherwise they won't link.)

This mod is still in somewhat rough condition, because currently there is no handling of units on the moving machines, moving machines can only run down hills, not up them, and no rotation. Everything but the last shouldn't be extremely difficult to implement, though.

The mod is now functional and (somewhat) stable!

Please report any bugs in this thread, and try to upload the 'moving-machines-log.txt' file in the DF folder to pastebin or elsewhere so that I could see precisely where it is going wrong!

Planned changes, roughly in order:
  • Fix platform designation menu. So far there is no green '+' to show the first selected corner, and you cannot change back to another designation mode unless you exit the designation menu first. DONE, released! (v0.2)
  • Add unit handling. DONE, released! (v0.2)
  • Add support for multilevel moving machines. DONE, released! (v0.3)
  • Distinguish moving machine platforms from normal constructions in some way, perhaps by using reverse video? POSTPONED, no obvious way to do this.
  • Add ability to drive up hills as well. DONE, released! (v0.3)
  • Implement damage to moving machines due to collisions.
  • Implement damage to terrain due to collisions.
  • Misc. cleanup (map edge collision detection, moving machine merging, etc.) DONE, released! (v0.4)
  • Better plugin data saving/loading. DONE, next release.
  • More realistic physics, such as elastic collisions, and more closely matching acceleration/deceleration down ramps. DONE, next release.
  • Boats in fortress mode.
  • ADVENTURE MODE DEATHMOBILES.

I'm planning to eventually add drills and other !FUN! implements to the game to make these things even more useful. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:55:03 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bloop_bleep's Moving Machines Mod!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:17 am »

Interesting! Thanks for working on this. I had heard that Toady worked in a mount system for adventure mode in the next update. I was hoping this would bleed into Fortress mode, perhaps that framework could make your planned features easier to implement.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:52:27 pm »

Interesting! Thanks for working on this. I had heard that Toady worked in a mount system for adventure mode in the next update. I was hoping this would bleed into Fortress mode, perhaps that framework could make your planned features easier to implement.

Thank you for your interest!

My understanding was that the mount framework is already there (seeing as how invaders can arrive on mounts), an interface was just added for adventure mode. In any case, platforms in my mid are simply implemented as normal constructions with a custom flag set so the plugin knows to attach them to moving machines, not as units (that way I don’t need to re-program the doubtless mountain of construction-specific code.) Thanks for the suggestion though!

I won’t have all that much free time for a bit, but I’m additionally planning to create a github repository for this and push this plugin to the DFHack development branch once it’s more stable and full-featured.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

Would it be possible to make ships with this, or is it basically land-only?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:55:55 pm »

Would it be possible to make ships with this, or is it basically land-only?

I hope so!

Moving machines are already able to fly into midair without collapsing, so cave-ins will probably not be a problem. Implementing realistic buoyancy mechanics might be a bit difficult, though, and being able to trade using ships and let them travel off map will be even harder.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 11:13:22 pm »

Thanks! I think this might work in my mod if that's alright.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 06:48:29 pm »

Thanks! I think this might work in my mod if that's alright.

Of course! Just a little mention in the README file or elsewhere would be alright.  :D

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 02:35:31 am »

Like a doofus, I forgot to include the raws for the wheel buildings in the tar file. Should be fixed now.

Also, I have created a github account & repository for this here. If you notice, I have already implemented unit handling, but I still want to clean up a bit before I officially release 0.2.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod! (v0.2 released)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:32:48 am »

v0.2 is released. Unit handling & platform designation menu fixes have been implemented, along with a couple other changes. Apparently I didn't notice the selection_rect global variable before I saw it accidentally in the Gui.cpp module, so finding it saved me a lot of headaches.

EDIT: v0.3 is released. Multilevel moving machines implemented (designate them one level at a time, starting from the bottom), as well as driving up hills.
EDIT: v0.4 is released. Moving machine merging & map edge collision detection is done. Primitive and incomplete plugin saving/loading system in place. (Look at the commit tagged 'v0.4' on the DFHack repository to see the exact caveats of saving/loading.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:17:29 am by bloop_bleep »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod! (v0.4 released)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 03:41:17 am »

ptw

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 06:23:39 am »

can someone make a demonstration video?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 08:36:36 pm »

can someone make a demonstration video?
Haha, maybe not a video, but I am planning to create a magma cannon tank to demonstrate this mod once I add fluid handling and stuff like that. In the meantime, I could answer any questions you have.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 11:40:20 pm »

Will it be possible to make NPC factions use moving fortress tech?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:19 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean? Aren't there already NPC factions?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean? Aren't there already NPC factions?
I think squamous means things like giving goblin siegers mobile bases (packed with bow users behind fortifications) to attack your fortress with.

You might have more of an idea of this than me, but my immediate reaction is that such things are mostly infeasible, and guaranteed to be a maintainability nightmare, because it requires dealing with DF AI and invasions, two things that are opaque, prone to change, badly understood and just downright complicated.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back
Pages: [1] 2