Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which Car should be built first? (runners up will be built in decending order of votes)

Sedan
- 3 (42.9%)
Coupe 2+2
- 1 (14.3%)
Full Sized Sedan
- 0 (0%)
Coupe
- 1 (14.3%)
Microcar
- 0 (0%)
Shooting Brake
- 1 (14.3%)
Roadster
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play GearCity: Sell cars, use money to make cars, use money on dream cars  (Read 7038 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Well this is an interesting read, I've been a fan of GearCity for awhile now.  Kinda fell out of it since changes since my initial playthroughs have kind of derailed my usual early strategy (as someone who also does 1900 starts)  Your strategy here is definitely something for me to remember the next time I play.

My strategy is certainly more effective with a 1950 start, as the sales per model are higher and I can thus make massive sums of money with fewer models to manage.
I've been heavily involved with Kenshi lately, hence the delay in updates.  I'm glad my strategy was clear from the LP so far.

EDIT: It looks like the latest version should make outsourcing vehicles easier, as per the below:
"Gameplay: Ordering more outsourced units will replace the previous order."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play GearCity: Lets Build a Sedan!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:53 pm »

Let's Build a Sedan!

So, I see that the SEDAN is the most voted for vehicle.  Its a good, standard design, and ideal to start testing the waters.

A car consists of a Chassis, an Engine, and a Gearbox put together.  We could just cheap out and buy a licence for a Sedan from someone else and start production.  But I know we want more fun than that (plus I need time to build the factory...and nobody actually has one to sell us, I hate 1900 starts).

For the parts, we can either research them ourselves, license them (or platform share, which is more complex to set up but works similar), or purchase them.  I ordinarily avoid purchasing parts like plague, since then we have to make sure we have enough parts on top of everything else.  However, there appears to be no parts to license this early, and we can't research decent engines ourselves.

Garbage Engine types we can make
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hm, it looks like I already purchased some parts.

I'm going to refer to this guide on vehicle classes to help me design our sedan.

I always use Advanced because its more fun.

Lets start the design process!

By the way, we can't make a RR chassis - Rear wheel, real engine.  All we can make are carriage chassis.  Yuck.

We should start by going to Design Focus and choosing whom we will be focusing on as we design our vehicle.  As cars in this early era are basically the toys of the idle rich, I'm going to set it at 25-35 Upper.  I should probably go for the Males, but I won't be sexist (selecting Neutral).

Car design is basically twittling with the sliders until you get what you want at the lowest price and design time (they are somewhat mutually exclusive, as longer development is cheaper and visa versa).

Coating isn't needed, but Material Quality is important (I guess, ha ha).

We're not building a Performance machine, but Utility increases cargo capacity, so lets up that.

I think King Zultan sounds like a good model name.

Since we need to build a factory soon, lets start lobbying! Lower taxes and factory costs are always good, but it takes time to pay off.  We won't actually see any benefit before we start building our first factory.

It will take 9 months to make the most basic factory, so we'll fast forward three months before we build it.

While waiting, I thought I found a new vehicle sell.  Turns out all I found was an automaker that won't ship me anything.  Sigh.
Well, the Snowshow was a moderate success.

Finally our factory is complete and our vehicle designed.

Now that we have a factory, we can finally scrap those lousy vehicles that nobody wants!

This is very good!  People want to buy 29 of the King Zultans!  Very Good since there is more demand than our factory can supply, but not so much that I would be tempted to increase the size of the factory.

I just found out the hard way that parts can come in one large lump sum, rather than divided over 12 months like vehicles.  So we got more than enough parts for full production for 10 to 11 months.

Lets build!

Note that you can see how much demand there is for your vehicles in the factory view.  Very helpful!

Model Quality goes down if you max production, but who cares!  Papa EJ wants that money!

Look at that cash flow!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think King Zultan sounds like a good model name.
I got a car named after me, I feel honored.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2]