Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 126289 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.6
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2020, 02:00:12 pm »

I've been looking into the plants, but I think I'll just need to replace them with something I know works, thanks for the tip. As for the weather effects, as it turns out they're kind of broken right now and I've been trying to fix them for a looong time. I think I might have gotten a handle on it now though. I'll have an update out soon.

Okay cool, just a heads up on some other bugs I found:

The adventurer reaction for 2-gauge rounds and 2-gauge slugs requires two 3-D printers, also producing 4-gauge slugs and 2-gauge rounds respectively. Simple number swap in the raws did the trick.

Not sure if intentional, but Castle sites use vanilla noble nomenclature, e.g hearthperson, lord, baronees. Still, funny to see.

Dragon mechs appear to burn away their own fat layer somehow. EDIT: Also has a vanilla skin layer.
I like how you adapted dragons to the setting, do you plan to do the same with the other semi/mega-beasts?

Dragons are cyborgs, not robots, so they do have skin. Adapting all the megabeasts wasn't my plan though. I'll look into the title issue and fix the adventurer crafting bug.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2020, 05:43:59 pm »

A PTW and possible bug report, steel, machinery, bronzes, and copper appear in the weapons category of the forge but can't be used for anything, and I haven't tampered with anything on my end.

Really loving the stuff about the various armor patterns on the OP.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2020, 07:34:00 pm »

A PTW and possible bug report, steel, machinery, bronzes, and copper appear in the weapons category of the forge but can't be used for anything, and I haven't tampered with anything on my end.

Really loving the stuff about the various armor patterns on the OP.

Those metals aren't supposed to be used for any weapons or armor, but they ought to be usable as furniture and decorations like earrings. Can those be made?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2020, 08:29:03 pm »

They are, I had assumed as much.

Haven't read the entire thread, but the front page doesn't make a mention, although I might have missed it. Must be some quirk of the game with those vanilla metals, though may wanna make a more obvious note somewhere. I was expecting to be able to use them for poor man's railgun ammo to take pressure off my wood and bone supply since they appeared in the forge menu.

This is going to sound rather harsh, but you may want to increase their value if they're meant to serve as luxury goods of some form. As it stands the nanotechne materials are better for the task and far easier to obtain, with very little exception to be had looking at the raws. Granted I say that while playing as baseline humans. For all I know those are the base materials to make other nanotechne stuff for the other playable races.

Spoiler: Proof I'm not crazy (click to show/hide)

And speaking of, might want to include some kind of reference materials with the download or something for actual gameplay-relevant information (skill rates, material costs for different armors and weapons, that kind of thing, just for use as quick-reference stuff.)

EDIT: On a less entitled sounding note, I find the weird territorialism of the VTOLs and Land Rovers amusing. The VTOL I started with on the current embark keeps pancaking all the animals that get too close to it and all I keep picturing is a vertibird controlled by some highly belligerent AI demanding they prove they have permission to be in its vicinity before crashing into them.

I've also enjoyed the fact many of the creature descriptions unnerved ZM5 cause of all the human faces on weird messed up things.  :P

Virok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2020, 09:39:08 pm »

Dragons are cyborgs, not robots, so they do have skin. Adapting all the megabeasts wasn't my plan though. I'll look into the title issue and fix the adventurer crafting bug.

Ah, my bad, I forgot about the 'bio' in biomechanical of the description, thus imagining the beast as only a central nervous system encased in a mountain of armour and guns (haven't experimented with bioframes yet).

Still, the autonomous dragons appear to cause self-harm (albeit insignificant) from their own fire sources/burning grass.
https://imgur.com/a/1l9qDEg
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:50:14 pm by Virok »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2020, 10:11:30 pm »

Ah, my bad, I forgot about the 'bio' in biomechanical of the description, thus imagining the beast as only a central nervous system encased in a mountain of armour and guns (haven't experimented with bioframes yet).

Still, the autonomous dragons appear to cause self-harm (albeit insignificant) from their own fire sources/burning grass.
https://imgur.com/a/1l9qDEg

Yes that is definitely not supposed to be happening

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.61
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2020, 05:41:14 pm »

Hi squamous,
I've been enjoying the mod and your work tremendously. Many thanks for your effort.

I wanted to let you know that I've started a wiki entry for the mod and have several pages worked out already. I like this mod a lot but found my play suffering from the number of things different from vanilla DF and no place to look them up. Seeing as I can spend most of my time playing the main game just cruising on the wiki, I figured this could use an entry of its own. They are all linked here:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night
I have the stats for creatures and clothing pulled from the raws already (I think) but am procrastinating until my sense of effort returns during the week sometime but I think I have otherwise made a pretty big dent in the bare essential stuff. Unfortunately, most of the table info was pulled from the 2.6 raws so anything that changed with 2.61 is likely wrong. If you or anyone who actually understands raw files (or knows wiki format language) sees anything incorrect, please rectify it or add what you feel needs to be added.

- - - -

Additionally, I have seen a few bugs (maybe?, I confess my understanding of the token system is limited) while pulling stats from raws and figured I'd list them here while I'm at it. I don't know if most of them have in-game ramifications or if things somehow work despite them.
*several bioframe (firenzi-palio, barda-terugen, krest-lotwyr) sizes do not match description
*both tar clay and plastic refuse create earthenware while nothing creates plasticware (also nothing creates porcelain, but by design?)
*no ammo in the NAIL category (nail spike is BULLET1) and nail-guns only use NAIL
*arrows are bigger than rockets?
*bullet boiling point? (lower than melting)
*Nanotechne max edge values do not match or trend (?)
*entity yaksha and rakshasa civ files switched?
*multiple pet values for transport drones and most vehicles
*2 different child ages for both dolphin uplift / blue whale
*builder worms are listed as nanomutants. Supposed to be cave nanomutant? I got one as a wagon puller on Asura embark
*planetary humans have human class but humans have mammal instead, don't know if it matters
*creature classes cogiton, slugge, venus and afore-mentioned cave nanomutant are used in entity files but do not apply to any creatures (that I found in the raws)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:58:04 pm by deusvult6 »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2020, 07:45:10 pm »

Hi squamous,
I've been enjoying the mod and your work tremendously. Many thanks for your effort.

I wanted to let you know that I've started a wiki entry for the mod and have several pages worked out already. I like this mod a lot but found my play suffering from the number of things different from vanilla DF and no place to look them up. Seeing as I can spend most of my time playing the main game just cruising on the wiki, I figured this could use an entry of its own. They are all linked here:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:The_Long_Night
I have the stats for creatures and clothing pulled from the raws already (I think) but am procrastinating until my sense of effort returns during the week sometime but I think I have otherwise made a pretty big dent in the bare essential stuff. Unfortunately, most of the table info was pulled from the 2.6 raws so anything that changed with 2.61 is likely wrong. If you or anyone who actually understands raw files (or knows wiki format language) sees anything incorrect, please rectify it or add what you feel needs to be added.

- - - -

Additionally, I have seen a few bugs (maybe?, I confess my understanding of the token system is limited) while pulling stats from raws and figured I'd list them here while I'm at it. I don't know if most of them have in-game ramifications or if things somehow work despite them.
*several bioframe (firenzi-palio, barda-terugen, krest-lotwyr) sizes do not match description
*both tar clay and plastic refuse create earthenware while nothing creates plasticware (also nothing creates porcelain, but by design?)
*no ammo in the NAIL category (nail spike is BULLET1) and nail-guns only use NAIL
*arrows are bigger than rockets?
*bullet boiling point? (lower than melting)
*Nanotechne max edge values do not match or trend (?)
*entity yaksha and rakshasa civ files switched?
*multiple pet values for transport drones and most vehicles
*2 different child ages for both dolphin uplift / blue whale
*builder worms are listed as nanomutants. Supposed to be cave nanomutant? I got one as a wagon puller on Asura embark
*planetary humans have human class but humans have mammal instead, don't know if it matters
*creature classes cogiton, slugge, venus and afore-mentioned cave nanomutant are used in entity files but do not apply to any creatures (that I found in the raws)

This is all very helpful thank you. Some of this is just harmless leftovers from old projects but other things are a problem, I shall try and fix them soon.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2020, 11:47:09 pm »

Hello, just a few more things I noticed:

*Are dolphin-uplifts meant to be so big? (1,000,000 = ~14 times a normal human)
*Dolphins, gorillas, octopi, subhumans, rakshasas, and yaksha are all big enough to wield all weapons single-handed, including bows (raise bow 2-hand limit?)
*Haven't seen a rahshasa civ in 3 or 4 worlds (all max civs and very long history, bad luck? or maybe they die out?) plenty of yaksha though
*Moss tree wood is very dense, more than concrete
*Asura, who don't need to drink, psychologically suffer from not drinking (a problem with necromancers in the main game too) not sure if it's fixable

EDIT:
Btw, I was looking through the 2.5 version that I first started playing on and I find I miss some of the old critters like techroaches, energy slugs, and such. I think most of them are the old nanomutants. I do like the new ones too, but the names are a little too same-y, I think. Everything's a 'whatever'-class and I have to look at their description to remind myself if it's a malformed human torso dragging itself around trying to steal food or a super-nano tiger stalking my fishermen. But I do like the lore flavor behind the Anti-Nirvanists and their abominations with their Vedic (I think?) naming conventions. What I'm trying to say is I like them both and I hope the old ones could be worked back in somehow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:09:07 pm by deusvult6 »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2020, 08:00:11 pm »

Hello, just a few more things I noticed:

*Are dolphin-uplifts meant to be so big? (1,000,000 = ~14 times a normal human)
*Dolphins, gorillas, octopi, subhumans, rakshasas, and yaksha are all big enough to wield all weapons single-handed, including bows (raise bow 2-hand limit?)
*Haven't seen a rahshasa civ in 3 or 4 worlds (all max civs and very long history, bad luck? or maybe they die out?) plenty of yaksha though
*Moss tree wood is very dense, more than concrete
*Asura, who don't need to drink, psychologically suffer from not drinking (a problem with necromancers in the main game too) not sure if it's fixable

EDIT:
Btw, I was looking through the 2.5 version that I first started playing on and I find I miss some of the old critters like techroaches, energy slugs, and such. I think most of them are the old nanomutants. I do like the new ones too, but the names are a little too same-y, I think. Everything's a 'whatever'-class and I have to look at their description to remind myself if it's a malformed human torso dragging itself around trying to steal food or a super-nano tiger stalking my fishermen. But I do like the lore flavor behind the Anti-Nirvanists and their abominations with their Vedic (I think?) naming conventions. What I'm trying to say is I like them both and I hope the old ones could be worked back in somehow.

I'll try and work back in some of the older creatures if I can, yeah. I'm currently working on a big new project (my idea is a trinity of "flagship" mods focused on a fantastic past, fantastic quasi-modern, and fantastic future aesthetic, with the middle one being as yet unborn). I haven't forgotten about this mod, life has just been a bit busy. And yes, the naming conventions did get a bit same-y, but I wanted to sort of stick with my initial conception of posthumanity as sort of technology demigods/demons/fae, with the Vedic bestiary being most suited for the idea of quasi-demonic warrior kings that sought to challenge the natural cycle of the world. I will also fix the drinking thing.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »

I didn't mean to come across as impatient. I'm well aware that you're very busy and this is just done for fun in any case.

I'd taken a look at Fallen Frontier before and it does look interesting. Haven't checked out Fall from Grace or any of the others yet, though. I guess that being a fan of sci-fi dystopias like Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM, Blame, Fallout, Primordia, 40K, etc. I just find this one the MOST interesting as it ticks all the geek checkboxes for me.

When I was gathering data for the plant wiki page it struck me how few tree types there were compared to the vanilla. If I brainstorm some up, would you be interested? Or do you want to keep it where it's at? I can put them in the RAW format with notes if that'll help.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2020, 10:39:05 pm »

I didn't mean to come across as impatient. I'm well aware that you're very busy and this is just done for fun in any case.

I'd taken a look at Fallen Frontier before and it does look interesting. Haven't checked out Fall from Grace or any of the others yet, though. I guess that being a fan of sci-fi dystopias like Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM, Blame, Fallout, Primordia, 40K, etc. I just find this one the MOST interesting as it ticks all the geek checkboxes for me.

When I was gathering data for the plant wiki page it struck me how few tree types there were compared to the vanilla. If I brainstorm some up, would you be interested? Or do you want to keep it where it's at? I can put them in the RAW format with notes if that'll help.

Oh it's all fine, you don't need to worry about appearing impatient. Besides, I have a patreon now, this is practically my job. I gotta churn out results.

Fallen Frontier is one I'm happy with but it falls into the problem of, since it's a mech-centric mod, you're either getting your butt kicked by enemy invasions that use them while you can't, or you curbstomp everything as the only adventurer with a mech, so it's basically sort of broken until mounts are equalized.

As for more trees, I'm curious, but they'd have to stay in the moss forest biomes. The rest of the map is meant as a deserted wasteland after all.

Millyrainbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »

Currently playing as Nobles, and trying to figure out if theres anything you can do with plastiglass. Im assuming its supposed to be used to make windows and various other glass products, but...

As for more trees, I'm curious, but they'd have to stay in the moss forest biomes. The rest of the map is meant as a deserted wasteland after all.

Imo, i think you could probably do some interesting things with the lore you have. After all, who says the trees need to be wood, or even organic? :3c We already have nanite goo, so perhaps there could be nanite metal in the shape of trees as the algorithms try to replicate something it doesnt understand, and cutting them down could produce nanite goop or something that can be an alternative for metal production, or perhaps used for a specific grade of metal.

And ofcoarse with those trees comes the other nanite abominations as well.. Instead of the land being filled with undead, its nanite built/controlled creatures, perhaps akin to werebeasts, that infect and change your population into more nanite abominations.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2020, 03:08:36 am »

Currently playing as Nobles, and trying to figure out if theres anything you can do with plastiglass. Im assuming its supposed to be used to make windows and various other glass products, but...

Imo, i think you could probably do some interesting things with the lore you have. After all, who says the trees need to be wood, or even organic? :3c We already have nanite goo, so perhaps there could be nanite metal in the shape of trees as the algorithms try to replicate something it doesnt understand, and cutting them down could produce nanite goop or something that can be an alternative for metal production, or perhaps used for a specific grade of metal.

And ofcoarse with those trees comes the other nanite abominations as well.. Instead of the land being filled with undead, its nanite built/controlled creatures, perhaps akin to werebeasts, that infect and change your population into more nanite abominations.

I'm already thinking of fractal trees, and nanite abominations are definitely on the table, I've just had trouble with them in the past when I tried making them into night trolls. However, normal werewolves ought to be something I can rejigger into nanomachine monsters.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2020, 05:37:42 am »

Hi! I was wondering if you have any plans to add in dfhack or quality of life improvement's in the near future for this mod. I've spent 16 hours myself fiddling around and seeing what works with dfhack being the most fussy thing to get working with the mod XD. Truly love the concept and back story of your mod and hope to see it grow. Maybe even some meph tile set love for eye candy. <3
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25