Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 126286 times)

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.68
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2020, 02:39:17 am »

Hi! Just a quick question for a planned Asura-class fortress. Do the clawed variants of exo-arms give any bonus damage for unarmed combat? And does this go for clawed exo-legs as well? I have a mental picture of super powerful martial artists squad in my head just punching in mutant skulls. Or is it a better idea to give them actual weapons for an upcoming war with the Nobles  ;D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2020, 02:43:47 am »

Hi! Just a quick question for a planned Asura-class fortress. Do the clawed variants of exo-arms give any bonus damage for unarmed combat? And does this go for clawed exo-legs as well? I have a mental picture of super powerful martial artists squad in my head just punching in mutant skulls. Or is it a better idea to give them actual weapons for an upcoming war with the Nobles  ;D

Pretty sure they're just for flavor and functionally identical to equivalent non-clawed versions, like a lot of the ranged weapon variants.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2020, 03:18:06 am »

Thanks! Also do the Asura actually need food? My guys are thirsty and starving.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2020, 11:57:19 am »

They do need food, mostly because even if they don't need to eat or drink they still get bad thoughts about not eating or drinking. Think of it as them absorbing the ambient nanomachines from their food and water moreso than gaining sustenance from the biological parts.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Cataphract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2020, 03:10:39 pm »

I don't really know why I'm even bringing this up, considering it doesn't negatively effect gameplay and realism isn't much of a concern in this mod, but some of the posthumans having a whole lot of extra limbs bugs me. I mean, four arms kind of makes sense. But six? Eight? Having a few extra arms could be useful for work if you're good at multitasking, but past that it seems like you would mainly just be hauling a bunch of extra weight around all the time. It wouldn't realistically be that useful for melee, though it may be in game, because though you may think most of the power behind a blow is coming from your arm, in reality a lot of it comes from your body, and you only have one of those. That's why dual wielding in real life wasn't ever very popular. And more than two legs? That would really be a pain in the ass, unless you're some kind of centaur. The point is, I understand you're going for the Hindu theming with the posthumans, but I think it's a little ridiculous.

I know this all may seem pedantic, but this mod's so good, I had to find SOMETHING to complain about, throw me a bone here.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2020, 04:17:39 pm »

I don't really know why I'm even bringing this up, considering it doesn't negatively effect gameplay and realism isn't much of a concern in this mod, but some of the posthumans having a whole lot of extra limbs bugs me. I mean, four arms kind of makes sense. But six? Eight? Having a few extra arms could be useful for work if you're good at multitasking, but past that it seems like you would mainly just be hauling a bunch of extra weight around all the time. It wouldn't realistically be that useful for melee, though it may be in game, because though you may think most of the power behind a blow is coming from your arm, in reality a lot of it comes from your body, and you only have one of those. That's why dual wielding in real life wasn't ever very popular. And more than two legs? That would really be a pain in the ass, unless you're some kind of centaur. The point is, I understand you're going for the Hindu theming with the posthumans, but I think it's a little ridiculous.

I know this all may seem pedantic, but this mod's so good, I had to find SOMETHING to complain about, throw me a bone here.

The extra arms are significations of rank for the Asura, and purely a gesture of vanity. Additional pairs of arms mean that the posthuman in question is capable of processing greater amounts of computronium in their body, meaning their capacity for manipulating their internal nanomachines is greater, leading to greater power. The exception to this are specialized lines which focus on one particular attribute, which alter their body to resemble a certain body type (slender gymnast, classical body-builder, bearmode huge guy). I am trying to work on a system that allows for the evolution of Asura to a greater state, but this is stymied by the fact that you can only transform once, so a transformed creature cannot transform again. However, lore-wise, there is upward mobility where lesser Asura can attain greater powers and grow additional arms to signify their evolved state.

The Rakshasa have multiple heads and limbs because they are malformed and insane.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 04:34:40 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Cataphract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2020, 05:45:24 pm »

I should just stop complaining about other people's mods, and start working on my own. Good work though man, seriously. I was there when you first started posting your mods on /dfg/ several years. It's awesome to see how much progress you've made.

Do you use any pieces of anyone else's mods? There are quite a few tweak mods out there that you may want to look into. I haven't tried any of them, but I think some of them are cross compatible with other mods.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2020, 05:49:00 pm »

Kinda how I picture the Asura in exo-suits:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BmdJGl

Kinda how I see some Rahshasa (but a little more cybernetic than this):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqzOv8

Edit: imgur links not working, added hotlinks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:52:28 pm by deusvult6 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »

They do need food, mostly because even if they don't need to eat or drink they still get bad thoughts about not eating or drinking. Think of it as them absorbing the ambient nanomachines from their food and water moreso than gaining sustenance from the biological parts.

That they're described as being extremely vain probably also contributes - one way of signifying status and such being the quality and quantity of food one has.

Plus it could genuinely be entirely psychological.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but for me it's because extra limbs means extraneous non-vitals your dudes will waste time attacking (Hell they waste time and effort attacking limbs they've already destroyed, just not chopped off,) along with enemy units often bringing however many shields as they have extra grasping limbs making them a bitch to hit. Or at least they did that in 34.11. Was some irritating shit.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2020, 06:40:37 pm »

I should just stop complaining about other people's mods, and start working on my own. Good work though man, seriously. I was there when you first started posting your mods on /dfg/ several years. It's awesome to see how much progress you've made.

Do you use any pieces of anyone else's mods? There are quite a few tweak mods out there that you may want to look into. I haven't tried any of them, but I think some of them are cross compatible with other mods.

Since I've got a patreon I've leaned back from using other people's stuff because now I'm supposed to be making money off of it. I'd rather just make my own at this point, though it would probably be easier to use someone else's stuff. Just my principles.

That they're described as being extremely vain probably also contributes - one way of signifying status and such being the quality and quantity of food one has.

Plus it could genuinely be entirely psychological.

It could work in another setting, but one of the Long Night's themes is that humanity is on its way out. Things like the Asura and the Cultivators are the future of earth, and everyone made of meat is trying to get on that train before it leaves the station, which may well take thousands of years but the clock is definitely ticking. Posthumans just have exceptional needs, being exceptional beings, and thus must devour the nanotechnically-infused much like apex predators sustain themselves off of their prey.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 06:58:20 pm by squamous »

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2020, 01:40:40 am »

Kinda how I picture the Asura in exo-suits:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BmdJGl

Kinda how I see some Rahshasa (but a little more cybernetic than this):
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqzOv8

Edit: imgur links not working, added hotlinks

Huh I never got the sense the Rakasha are THAT monster like. Cool mental image tho  ;)

Cataphract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2020, 03:32:52 am »

I'm thinking maybe if the posthumans are slapping extra body parts on themselves, maybe it would make more sense to give them ones that would provide a practical benefit. Why not have some of the more powerful ones have sort of a centaur like lower body, for extra running speed. Or maybe... I dunno, that's really the only one I can think of. I mean, if you're able to customize your own body, imagine all the crazy things you might try.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2020, 03:40:23 am »

Huh I never got the sense the Rakasha are THAT monster like. Cool mental image tho  ;)
Rakshasa one might be a bit much. I mean they still have hair and regular eyes and all that. But their bodies are WAY twisted. They come in 22 different variations and combinations of 1-3 heads and 2-6 legs and arms and some even have sort of trunks on their faces, and they're 5 times a human size and completely insane. I think the level of monstrosity is quite accurate even if the degree of insectoid is a little too much.

It's not in the description, but I do see them as being a bit chimaeric. The lore says the experiments that birthed them sought ever more lethal forms so it's not crazy to think bits were inspired by various lethal animal forms.

Also, I think in some point that squamous mentioned that Grade-N nanotechne has a particularly Giger-esque motif. So the tech (guns, exo-suits, etc) of Rakshasa, Asura, and Yaksha should be kinda out there on the creepy pseudo-organic side of sci-fi aesthetic.

I'm thinking maybe if the posthumans are slapping extra body parts on themselves, maybe it would make more sense to give them ones that would provide a practical benefit. Why not have some of the more powerful ones have sort of a centaur like lower body, for extra running speed. Or maybe... I dunno, that's really the only one I can think of. I mean, if you're able to customize your own body, imagine all the crazy things you might try.
Some of the Rakshasa do have warped centaurian (or even hexapedal) bodies. The Asuran progenitors (Anti-nirvanists) took obvious Vedic inspiration in the design of their new forms and chose forms that mimicked both the eponymous Asura and divine figures like Durga to mark their ascension to demi-godhood and immortality. The design choices were out of vanity and not pragmatism. At least, that's my take on it.

A race of pragmatic, heavily-augmented cyborgs could be cool. They could each augment their bodies with different sensors, tools, and appendages that would allow them to optimize their performance in their specific professions. Their entire civ could be dedicated to salvaging as much knowledge and tech from the Old Earth as they can find and then safe-guarding it against any further loss. To ensure future generations do not lose sight o this purpose they would also worship technology and knowledge, their priesthood doubles as their scholars. Because they seek to recover all the past, they revere the ancient and speak only in Latin (or a messed-up Latin that is the best they can reconstruct). And they also like to wear full-body red robes just 'cuz.
It would be cool, but I guess it's been done.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:09:37 am by deusvult6 »

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2020, 04:29:19 am »

General Question: What do you guys think of the extra-humenoid stocks. The hunting men, ogre men, bat men, abominable Men, half men, worm men, thin Men, and grub men? I have a hunting man but I don't exactly know how to picture hunting and the half men types.

Example of what I think hunting men look like:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/81/88/d78188ac1ad424560cc2da931071460b.jpg

And have any of you guys found uses for these what are classified as "Animal People" in your forts? Or are they here for decor. I thought at first they might be like trolls where they can do simple tasks like lugging stone or other goods, to being able to mine or hunt. But it seems like they don't do much except to look pretty. Which aint a bad thing, we can always make a zoo for the sub-humans  8)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2020, 02:12:12 pm »

General Question: What do you guys think of the extra-humenoid stocks. The hunting men, ogre men, bat men, abominable Men, half men, worm men, thin Men, and grub men? I have a hunting man but I don't exactly know how to picture hunting and the half men types.

Example of what I think hunting men look like:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/81/88/d78188ac1ad424560cc2da931071460b.jpg

And have any of you guys found uses for these what are classified as "Animal People" in your forts? Or are they here for decor. I thought at first they might be like trolls where they can do simple tasks like lugging stone or other goods, to being able to mine or hunt. But it seems like they don't do much except to look pretty. Which aint a bad thing, we can always make a zoo for the sub-humans  8)

The sub-humans are intended to be mostly like this

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25