Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 125298 times)

Dolphin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.71
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2021, 03:31:18 pm »

What is the difference between the night large pop and night large settings?

IIRC, the pop have a larger population settings in wolrd gen, due to that I think they require more time and/or a beefier PC to finish generating.

ohhh, alright, thanks!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:26 pm »

What exactly do exoframes look like? specifically in size?

Bioframes or exo-armors? The former is something like the monster in this image, but bigger and with more skin and muscle than wires and pistons below the armor

While the latter is more like this

both come in varying styles though, so these aren't 1:1 representations, just a general idea of the basics. Bioframes are also given a size detail in their description, and for context an elephant would be 5000000u
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:42:11 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2021, 05:59:56 pm »

What exactly do exoframes look like? specifically in size?

Also consider that in-game, 1u = 1cm3, so considering that a human is approximately 70,000 cm3, the smallest bioframes go for 1'000,000cm3, making them approximately 14 times the size of a human in volume.

SheerSharkAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2021, 06:43:48 pm »

I'm talking about the armor items. are they like master chief''s mjolnir armor or small mechs?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 06:47:47 pm by SheerSharkAttack »

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2021, 07:28:14 pm »

I'm talking about the armor items. are they like master chief''s mjolnir armor or small mechs?
Armor works differently in the Long Night. It is the far future, after all. In advanced civilizations, armor comes in the form of a powerful exoskeleton, or power armor, that covers the entire body except for the hands, feet, and head, which are protected by helmet and limb add-ons. There are many different types of exo-armor, with their own strengths and weaknesses in the form of cost, weight, and defense.

(it should be noted that rather than using exo-armors, posthuman tribes graft outer carapaces of nanotechne onto themselves. It gives them the appearance of ferocious metallic monsters rather than beings in armor.)

It seems that the armors work like Master Chief's, it is HEAVY, and you need the appropiate skill to move at a reliable speen in them, particularly with the heavier sets.

Remember that Chief's armor is really heavy, and wothout the interface ports, even ODSTs get crushed inside due to the toll thay take on the wearer, however, considering that in this mod everyone has some interface ports along their body, thay can use appropiately sized power armor.

TL;DR: Yes, they should be something like a Spartan's power armor, minus the shields.

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2021, 10:03:42 pm »

Alright, let me know if you find anything else

Ok, so I found something big: whenever this bug happens, it seems that what it affects is the entire tile, as when I try to construct some walls over the logs to force my citizens to move them and perhaps resolving the issue, it seems that the citizens bring the materials for the walls just fine, but they can't "reach the destination", meaning they won't even start working on them once the materials are in place.

When cancelling the walls to drop the materials, if they fall on the same tile as the bugged logs, the materials themselves become bugged, hinting that the problem may be either some pathfinding thing, or some passable tile thing, perhaps only related to the logs in the sense that when they fall over the tile they update it with some data that makes them unable to start work on a job on that tile.

This also includes multi-lite buildings, such as workshops.

What DOES resolve the issue is assigning a stockpile where the logs are, it seems that it updates the tile and "frees" the logs or othher materials that where stuck there, after that, it's safe to remove the stockpile and move the materials.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2021, 04:57:01 pm »

Alright, let me know if you find anything else

Ok, so I found something big: whenever this bug happens, it seems that what it affects is the entire tile, as when I try to construct some walls over the logs to force my citizens to move them and perhaps resolving the issue, it seems that the citizens bring the materials for the walls just fine, but they can't "reach the destination", meaning they won't even start working on them once the materials are in place.

When cancelling the walls to drop the materials, if they fall on the same tile as the bugged logs, the materials themselves become bugged, hinting that the problem may be either some pathfinding thing, or some passable tile thing, perhaps only related to the logs in the sense that when they fall over the tile they update it with some data that makes them unable to start work on a job on that tile.

This also includes multi-lite buildings, such as workshops.

What DOES resolve the issue is assigning a stockpile where the logs are, it seems that it updates the tile and "frees" the logs or othher materials that where stuck there, after that, it's safe to remove the stockpile and move the materials.

Huh, I dunno what I could have done to do something like that. It seems like a bug in the base code, because as far as I can tell there's nothing out of order with my trees.

The second image would do it then. Exo-armors have different sizes according to the model, but are all a type of powered armor so at least have a bit of weight to them. Mjolnir would be a good example of a lighter model, while the pic I linked could be a heavier one.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2021, 06:54:25 pm »

Also, to anyone that has this issue too, the most reliable way to solve it is to reload the map

Artwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.75
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2021, 08:53:13 pm »

I don't know exactly why I done that, but I made a simple obsidian farm, just to see what comes out.
It forms rock walls similar to the ones in vulcans; they drop nothing (they leave corroded metal ramps, but that was just to play with my feelings).
Additionaly, it seems to leave "magma" as a contaminant that is harmlessy cleaned after channeling out the place.
Well, back to roomba farming, I guess.
-
Also, This mod rocks

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.75
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:11 pm »

I don't know exactly why I done that, but I made a simple obsidian farm, just to see what comes out.
It forms rock walls similar to the ones in vulcans; they drop nothing (they leave corroded metal ramps, but that was just to play with my feelings).
Additionaly, it seems to leave "magma" as a contaminant that is harmlessy cleaned after channeling out the place.
Well, back to roomba farming, I guess.
-
Also, This mod rocks

Oh, that might be a bug, I'll try and fix it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:27:17 am by squamous »

SheerSharkAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.76
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2021, 09:46:02 pm »

the descriptions for the new bioframes have a bunch of typos in them like

[DESCRIPTION:A corpse that has been usedgrow a monstrous-looking biomechanical war machine. It is covered in nanotechne plating and lit by flickering green flame.]

and

[DESCRIPTION:A dolphin that has been used as a corpse-seed to grow a monstrous-looking biomechanical war machine. man. It is covered in nanotechne plating and lit by flickering green flame.]

also in my opinion there could be little bit more physical description here to help me imagine what they look like.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.76
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2021, 02:21:22 am »

the descriptions for the new bioframes have a bunch of typos in them like

[DESCRIPTION:A corpse that has been usedgrow a monstrous-looking biomechanical war machine. It is covered in nanotechne plating and lit by flickering green flame.]

and

[DESCRIPTION:A dolphin that has been used as a corpse-seed to grow a monstrous-looking biomechanical war machine. man. It is covered in nanotechne plating and lit by flickering green flame.]

also in my opinion there could be little bit more physical description here to help me imagine what they look like.

Ah yeah, I'll fix that in a quick patch. As for description, it'd probably make sense to elaborate on that as well

Dolphin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.77
« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2021, 11:47:24 pm »

I was looking through the embark screen and found a creature called a "nothing", I was wondering if that was deliberate or not.
Also, I was wondering (if this isn't too much of an imposition) if/when you were planning on putting more plants in? I ask because there's a lot of unique animals/races in TLN  but not a lot of plants unique or otherwise. It'd be really cool to see like, tech mushrooms where very low grade nanotechne parasitizes fungi like lobster "mushrooms" do, or perhaps overgrown variants of lichens (I know moss trees exist currently), or maybe woody vines as a form of tree or maybe an edible vine! Sorry, I don't mean to ramble on about plants and whatnot, this was supposed to be a post asking about a possible bug.

Dolphin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2021, 11:56:13 pm »

sorry, just noticed another. the kodona class hovertruck has sleek written twice.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2021, 12:12:56 am »

I was looking through the embark screen and found a creature called a "nothing", I was wondering if that was deliberate or not.

"Nothing" means that something has an error in its name somewhere, or lacks one entirely outside of its castes. It's a pretty simple thing to fix once you know what creature has the problem. It doesn't really cause any issues in gameplay though.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25