Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 126253 times)

InvaderGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 1.97
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 01:10:20 am »

Just got into this mod and i had two questions.I seem to be unable to choose to play as Molluscoids when embarking i can only choose the human races and humanlike races like the fex and sub-humans.Also i've noticed Molluscoids tend to be a very small population or nearly killed off in most worlds i make kinda like kobolds in base game.So i was just wondering if this is intentional/if they are no longer a playable race.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:12:46 am by InvaderGrim »

Ryusho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 03:31:20 am »

I saw Kruggsmash Play this, and I'm going to give it a try as it seems really interesting, I just know that it's going to be a bit weird for me, since I am a bit dyslexic so it isn't easy for me without a tileset, but I still want to give it a try.

Samscale1`

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 03:43:48 pm »

Hey, I've recently started messing around with this mod, thanks to Kruggsmash, and I really want a tileset. So much so I'd like to offer to make one. For Free. I enjoy pixel art and I haven't done any in a while. My only issue is I have no idea how to go about doing it. I was wondering are you at all clued up on how to implement a tileset if I were to make the art?

I'm going to do a bit of research myself and see if I can figure it out in the mean time. I'm probably going to make one either way just for personal use, so I figured I would extend the offer of making it an official/optional thing  :)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:08 pm »

Just got into this mod and i had two questions.I seem to be unable to choose to play as Molluscoids when embarking i can only choose the human races and humanlike races like the fex and sub-humans.Also i've noticed Molluscoids tend to be a very small population or nearly killed off in most worlds i make kinda like kobolds in base game.So i was just wondering if this is intentional/if they are no longer a playable race.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Molluscoids are meant to be a hostile non-playable race, yes. I am having difficulty making them stick. I also plan to make uplifted dolphins, apes, and corvids playable next update.

I saw Kruggsmash Play this, and I'm going to give it a try as it seems really interesting, I just know that it's going to be a bit weird for me, since I am a bit dyslexic so it isn't easy for me without a tileset, but I still want to give it a try.

good luck!

Hey, I've recently started messing around with this mod, thanks to Kruggsmash, and I really want a tileset. So much so I'd like to offer to make one. For Free. I enjoy pixel art and I haven't done any in a while. My only issue is I have no idea how to go about doing it. I was wondering are you at all clued up on how to implement a tileset if I were to make the art?

I'm going to do a bit of research myself and see if I can figure it out in the mean time. I'm probably going to make one either way just for personal use, so I figured I would extend the offer of making it an official/optional thing  :)

I honestly have no clue, I've never bothered with tilesets or graphics.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 08:50:02 pm »

A tileset can be made to just fill in the current ASCII file. See here. Here are several to choose from and some info on making your own.

Full tilesets which can replace 'g' with both a goblin and goose sprite require DFHack and are beyond my reckoning. Perhaps go to the LNP thread for more info. Note, DF hack isn't out for 47.01 yet.

theblacksquid

• Escaped Lunatic
  • When in doubt, magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:36 am »

Made this account just for this after watching (and re-watching!) Kruggsmash's vid. Just wanna say good work and well done. And one more thing, is it possible to get a raws-only version of this without the exe's and dll's? I'm on Linux and have had to run the exe on a windows emulator, before I figured out how to get it to run on the LinuxLNP. One other benefit of having a raw-only version is better integration with other mods, too!

Anyways, thanks once again for the awesome mod and have a great day!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2020, 02:21:05 am »

Made this account just for this after watching (and re-watching!) Kruggsmash's vid. Just wanna say good work and well done. And one more thing, is it possible to get a raws-only version of this without the exe's and dll's? I'm on Linux and have had to run the exe on a windows emulator, before I figured out how to get it to run on the LinuxLNP. One other benefit of having a raw-only version is better integration with other mods, too!

Anyways, thanks once again for the awesome mod and have a great day!

You might need to trial and error it but it might be possible. I don't think I've made any changes to anything not a .txt file so just copying worldgen, colors, and everything in the objects folder ought to work. I'm just hesitant to make multiple versions of the same mod because I already have like a dozen of them. If I just make one copy for each, I have to keep track of double the amount of files, you know? And then there's making sure all the versions stay consistent and such, it just seems intimidating. Happy to know you like it though!
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Butter_Juggs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 1.98
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2020, 12:10:05 am »

If you guys grew up playing flash games, then you might know an Armor Games gem known as Sonny. The music was one of the defining pillars of the series second only to the gameplay and Krin's unique art-style. Many tracks, especially the opening theme, have a similar melancholy edge like the ones provided in the mod. This is not to say that the music in question is bad, quite the opposite; it's just that listening to the same one track can get pretty monotonous and having a few more in rotation can liven things up.

P.S. Huge fan btw can't what to see future updates!

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usx1bupYAAo&list=PLGtt_Tx5dVpwOVsT52PUJX-TKuE4mZaah&index=1

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2020, 12:11:17 am »

If you guys grew up playing flash games, then you might know an Armor Games gem known as Sonny. The music was one of the defining pillars of the series second only to the gameplay and Krin's unique art-style. Many tracks, especially the opening theme, have a similar melancholy edge like the ones provided in the mod. This is not to say that the music in question is bad, quite the opposite; it's just that listening to the same one track can get pretty monotonous and having a few more in rotation can liven things up.

P.S. Huge fan btw can't what to see future updates!

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usx1bupYAAo&list=PLGtt_Tx5dVpwOVsT52PUJX-TKuE4mZaah&index=1

I'm familiar with the game, haven't played it in years though. The music I used is from a show called Texhnolyze, which I recommend. I'm glad you like my stuff though.

Zoomrocket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 08:06:05 am »

Hi, I am really excited to play this, however I am encountering a game breaking bug.
I will preface this by saying that I have not played DF in a while so this may be a bug with the base game that I am forgetting the work around for, but here's what I'm encountering.
None of my hunters or militiamen will pickup ammunition for their weapon.  They are equipped with a quiver and weapon, and they will stand over the ammunition for that weapon and get stuck in a never ending "No Job - Pickup Equipment" loop.
This first occurred at a Martian ammo stockpile and I thought it had something to do with the bins, so I removed the stockpile and made a new one with no bins, but the hunters had the same behavior.
I then created a new game with Humans and my hunter had the same behavior when trying to grab ammunition from the wagon.  I deconstructed the wagon but this did not change anything.

So far the mod is incredibly interesting but I feel like I'm completely missing out if I can't use any of the cool guns.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2020, 01:43:09 pm »

Hi, I am really excited to play this, however I am encountering a game breaking bug.
I will preface this by saying that I have not played DF in a while so this may be a bug with the base game that I am forgetting the work around for, but here's what I'm encountering.
None of my hunters or militiamen will pickup ammunition for their weapon.  They are equipped with a quiver and weapon, and they will stand over the ammunition for that weapon and get stuck in a never ending "No Job - Pickup Equipment" loop.
This first occurred at a Martian ammo stockpile and I thought it had something to do with the bins, so I removed the stockpile and made a new one with no bins, but the hunters had the same behavior.
I then created a new game with Humans and my hunter had the same behavior when trying to grab ammunition from the wagon.  I deconstructed the wagon but this did not change anything.

So far the mod is incredibly interesting but I feel like I'm completely missing out if I can't use any of the cool guns.

I've got no clue why this is happening, it does seem like a bug with DF rather than my game but I will check it out.

EDIT: Do your squads use different weapons? Like, do you have a rail-sniper user and a rail-rifle user in the same squad? Try equipping everyone in a squad with the same weapon.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:37:15 pm by squamous »

Zoomrocket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 08:38:37 pm »

I've got no clue why this is happening, it does seem like a bug with DF rather than my game but I will check it out.

EDIT: Do your squads use different weapons? Like, do you have a rail-sniper user and a rail-rifle user in the same squad? Try equipping everyone in a squad with the same weapon.

Hey there, so I made a new embark with two marksmen and gave them each a railgun and quiver and assigned them to a squad.
They at first refused to pickup ammunition, until I changed the ammunition material to metal and removed all assigned ammo from hunters, and they immediately ran over and grabbed the rods I packed. 
If I remember correctly, the railgun rods in my first instance of this bug were wooden, if that means anything to you.  Again I'm not sure if this has much to do with the mod but I will be seeing if changing material has any effect in my first playthrough that I mentioned.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:43 pm »

Sounds like the ammo bugs are at play there. Check out the bottom of this page on the wiki for more information.

I always disable hunting on all my dwarves for this reason.

Zoomrocket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2020, 08:57:37 pm »

Sounds like the ammo bugs are at play there. Check out the bottom of this page on the wiki for more information.

Could be I suppose, but I have plenty of wooden ammo and very little metal ammo, and assigning them to carry 10 ammo seemed to work in the test embark.

I changed all of the ammunition materials in my first fortress to metal, and all but one Martian picked up their metal ammo and went out to hunt.

The last buggy fellow was a brewer with a mace-head rail rifle and an empty quiver, who interestingly would stand on a Still while spamming "No Job - Pickup Equipment".  When I removed the Hunting job from him, he dropped some pellet clusters on the still and went to put away his weapon.  I'm guessing he had the clusters in his hands and was trying to put them in the quiver but couldnt?

Anyway, I'm going to continue playing, and I hope there was some useful information in this psuedo bug-report.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:32 pm »

Could be I suppose, but I have plenty of wooden ammo and very little metal ammo, and assigning them to carry 10 ammo seemed to work in the test embark.

I changed all of the ammunition materials in my first fortress to metal, and all but one Martian picked up their metal ammo and went out to hunt.

The last buggy fellow was a brewer with a mace-head rail rifle and an empty quiver, who interestingly would stand on a Still while spamming "No Job - Pickup Equipment".  When I removed the Hunting job from him, he dropped some pellet clusters on the still and went to put away his weapon.  I'm guessing he had the clusters in his hands and was trying to put them in the quiver but couldnt?

Anyway, I'm going to continue playing, and I hope there was some useful information in this psuedo bug-report.

Well one important thing I should add to the info document is that pellet clusters don't go in rail-rifles. I'll add what goes where right now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25