Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 125284 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Dying Earth 1.91
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 01:07:22 pm »

No, I just ran the mod just like it was at download. Maybe I just re-download and re-install it, then.

Okay, weird. I have a sneaking suspicion as to why that is happening so I'll fix it in the next update coming out now.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Dying Earth 1.92
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:51 pm »

Itīs working now... kind of. Atleast in Fortress Mode, unless Humans (Earth humans) or Dolphins get involved. They still tend to crash the game but not every time, what is weird.

Thanks for responding though. I know modding always can create the weirdest bugs, errors and crashes. Had them often enough in my own modded game and itīs a real pain to find the error and fix it. Keep up the great work!

The Dorfmeister
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 02:37:42 pm »

Itīs working now... kind of. Atleast in Fortress Mode, unless Humans (Earth humans) or Dolphins get involved. They still tend to crash the game but not every time, what is weird.

Thanks for responding though. I know modding always can create the weirdest bugs, errors and crashes. Had them often enough in my own modded game and itīs a real pain to find the error and fix it. Keep up the great work!

The Dorfmeister

That is strange, I'll look into it though.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »

Finally I was able to play Adventurer mode for several hours without any crashes. But I didnīt encounter humans nor dolphins yet, so I cannot tell what will happen when I meet one of those in the wastes. I really like what you did, especially with the adventurer crafting things. I will test it further and report any bugs or crashes (hopefully there arenīt any) here if you want.
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 05:58:47 pm »

This mod seems cool, I'll probably check it out when I have time. I like the idea of sapient corvids in particular. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:00:27 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »

I think Iīve found another bug, if it can be called that. Sorry for being so ... whatīs the correct word for it? Penetrant about writing all that stuff here, but I think it may help improve the mod.

(As usual, any grammar or spelling errors are on account of english not being my first language, so sorry for that)

Is it possible that the so-called "bloodhounds" have the crazed, or opposed to living tags? I couldnīt find them in the RAWs, so I was unable to check that, but they start attacking my starting seven and the livestock as soon as my group embarks. Iīve had that issue on three different forts so far, costing the lives of some hens, one or two of my starting seven and a truck respectively. (Funny thing, I embarked on the edge of a volcano and the truck dodged down into the magma) Even as I learned not to spend points to bring a bloodhound with me on embark, they still get randomly selected as wagon pullers sometimes instead of vehicles, so I might end up with one of them anyways. >.<

Also, unrelated to this thing and (I guess) nothing to fix, but quite funny : Executors are not able to grasp the meaning of a "brawl" at all - as in the DF combat term of mostly non-lethal unarmed combat used in tavern fights and stuff. In Adventuring mode, it happened to me while visiting a tavern in a executor-controlled site. A bar brawl broke out, nothing unusual so far, but one of the tavernīs patrons was an executor, just a rare sight as it should be. Even if he wasnīt directly involved at first, he somehow managed to get in the way of a drunk guy who tried to charge attack me and collided with him too, according to the battle log.

The next thing I saw was just a lot of smoke, fire and messages of burning and melting as the executor started burning down the entire place. I mean it fits the description of that demigod-like beings to overreact if they are attacked, but it made me laugh. I donīt even know how the executor ended up in this place, because I rarely see them outside of mead halls, castle and other seats of power.

Sorry for the wall of text, though.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:01:05 pm by The Dorfmeister »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 07:07:54 pm »

I think Iīve found another bug, if it can be called that. Sorry for being so ... whatīs the correct word for it? Penetrant about writing all that stuff here, but I think it may help improve the mod.

(As usual, any grammar or spelling errors are on account of english not being my first language, so sorry for that)

Is it possible that the so-called "bloodhounds" have the crazed, or opposed to living tags? I couldnīt find them in the RAWs, so I was unable to check that, but they start attacking my starting seven and the livestock as soon as my group embarks. Iīve had that issue on three different forts so far, costing the lives of some hens, one or two of my starting seven and a truck respectively. (Funny thing, I embarked on the edge of a volcano and the truck dodged down into the magma) Even as I learned not to spend points to bring a bloodhound with me on embark, they still get randomly selected as wagon pullers sometimes instead of vehicles, so I might end up with one of them anyways. >.<

Also, unrelated to this thing and (I guess) nothing to fix, but quite funny : Executors are not able to grasp the meaning of a "brawl" at all - as in the DF combat term of mostly non-lethal unarmed combat used in tavern fights and stuff. In Adventuring mode, it happened to me while visiting a tavern in a executor-controlled site. A bar brawl broke out, nothing unusual so far, but one of the tavernīs patrons was an executor, just a rare sight as it should be. Even if he wasnīt directly involved at first, he somehow managed to get in the way of a drunk guy who tried to charge attack me and collided with him too, according to the battle log.

The next thing I saw was just a lot of smoke, fire and messages of burning and melting as the executor started burning down the entire place. I mean it fits the description of that demigod-like beings to overreact if they are attacked, but it made me laugh. I donīt even know how the executor ended up in this place, because I rarely see them outside of mead halls, castle and other seats of power.

Sorry for the wall of text, though.

Oh no this is all good.

The venusians were originally planned to be a hostile race who would only kill, but I must have forgotten to remove that trait from their war animals. I will fix this in the next version.

Executors are indeed psychotic demigods so something like that was bound to happen at some point. They are very rare but it isn't impossible for them to end up as adventurers.

Also, regarding your crashes, can you tell me how you install the mod? Do you do anything like moving raw files around or overwrite data? Like, taking the raws from my mod and moving them into another game folder? If so, that would cause crashes. Actually, could you just show me your error log?

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 03:30:22 am »

Weirdly, I never moved anything, just extracted the file to a new folder. It doesnīt crash anymore since I deleted and reinstalled the mod, so I guess the problem is fixed now, whatever it was.

The bloodhounds are a venusian creature? That would explain a lot, although I only played executor fortresses yet. They must have got control over a venusian site in the past, as bloodhounds seem to be quite common as wagon animals in my civ.  That would fit this particular civilization in my small world gen, as they are the only executor civ, are one of the smallest, but constantly at war with literally everything around. They even conquered the cogitons, leaving the last 14-ish of them as outcasts or citizens of the executor realm, with the only cogiton realm destroyed according to Legends Viewer.

My error log lists only pathing errors, but that could be a general DF thing, so Iīm not sure. This is a shortened version of the log, because the full thing goes on and on and on with this kind of messages.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 12:03:16 am »

Weirdly, I never moved anything, just extracted the file to a new folder. It doesnīt crash anymore since I deleted and reinstalled the mod, so I guess the problem is fixed now, whatever it was.

The bloodhounds are a venusian creature? That would explain a lot, although I only played executor fortresses yet. They must have got control over a venusian site in the past, as bloodhounds seem to be quite common as wagon animals in my civ.  That would fit this particular civilization in my small world gen, as they are the only executor civ, are one of the smallest, but constantly at war with literally everything around. They even conquered the cogitons, leaving the last 14-ish of them as outcasts or citizens of the executor realm, with the only cogiton realm destroyed according to Legends Viewer.

My error log lists only pathing errors, but that could be a general DF thing, so Iīm not sure. This is a shortened version of the log, because the full thing goes on and on and on with this kind of messages.

Yeah the errorlog doesn't say anything wrong, it might have been something on your end. Bloodhounds are venusian but also scattered around the world, so other civs can tame them as well.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 1.95
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 11:22:25 pm »

Some potentially outdated [1.92] input since you reminded me of this with that /tg/ post.

The second thing you might notice about this slab is that the [IS_NAME] of its description and history are mismatched, every slab regardless of their secret says that they're technomancer ones. The only way to identify one you find "in the wild" is to cross reference it with its legends history, meaning that you have to spend 4 weeks in retirement while taking notes. It's almost awful if it didn't give me ideas.
Biomechanical races from creature_civilized_barbarian weren't [NOT_LIVING], which is a pain in the butt when ironically their sole weakness of being an organism is removed by technomagic. Senator Armstrong has nothing on this combo.
Additionally, kobold caves are an even bigger navigational headache than dwarf ones, they're basically a maze of lethal traps for PCs who start inside without the right tags.

Suggestions: Turn the multitool into the large dagger analogue, since it's versimilitudinous for such an important item to always be available to an adventurer at the start. Possibly diversify the gem industry of the future by being able to synthesize gems out of their chemical elements also so people can be into things besides "synthetic crystal".
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 01:26:57 am »

Some potentially outdated [1.92] input since you reminded me of this with that /tg/ post.

The second thing you might notice about this slab is that the [IS_NAME] of its description and history are mismatched, every slab regardless of their secret says that they're technomancer ones. The only way to identify one you find "in the wild" is to cross reference it with its legends history, meaning that you have to spend 4 weeks in retirement while taking notes. It's almost awful if it didn't give me ideas.
Biomechanical races from creature_civilized_barbarian weren't [NOT_LIVING], which is a pain in the butt when ironically their sole weakness of being an organism is removed by technomagic. Senator Armstrong has nothing on this combo.
Additionally, kobold caves are an even bigger navigational headache than dwarf ones, they're basically a maze of lethal traps for PCs who start inside without the right tags.

Suggestions: Turn the multitool into the large dagger analogue, since it's versimilitudinous for such an important item to always be available to an adventurer at the start. Possibly diversify the gem industry of the future by being able to synthesize gems out of their chemical elements also so people can be into things besides "synthetic crystal".

These are some good ideas yeah. I like the multitool ones. To be honest, I didn't even think people would be going into the caves. They kind of just exist to spawn enemies for fortress mode. I think I fixed the technomancer bug though. I'm not sure what the issue with technobarbarians not having NOT_LIVING is though.

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 11:12:49 pm »

I'm not sure what the issue with technobarbarians not having NOT_LIVING is though.
What keeps cyborgs from being completely horrible to fight against is that they still need blood and a nervous system. Their undead counterparts are almost impossible to kill using normal weapons. I think pyrokinesis was able to return a few kyclopi to the grave but this strategy ultimately melted my latest character to death.
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 04:44:40 am »

I'm not sure what the issue with technobarbarians not having NOT_LIVING is though.
What keeps cyborgs from being completely horrible to fight against is that they still need blood and a nervous system. Their undead counterparts are almost impossible to kill using normal weapons. I think pyrokinesis was able to return a few kyclopi to the grave but this strategy ultimately melted my latest character to death.
especially as zombiecyborgs also have metallic bodyparts which will be much harder to kill than their biological bodyparts.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 11:41:25 pm »

Ah, right, I'll fix this

bloodslave1087654

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 1.96
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 08:47:29 pm »

K so having watched Krugg play this on his YT channel and being utterly tickled pink by the sheer amount of 80s plastered all over this mod, i had to try it. Of course im brand new to DF modding, and i was wondering. Is there a way to plug this into the Lazy Noob Pack so i can use Dwarf Therapist with this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25