Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night (Legacy Thread)  (Read 125981 times)

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.65
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2020, 03:49:35 am »

I missed the blue whales, not sure what the second point is about, thought I fixed the earthenware thing so idk why it didn't work, will look into that, I am unsure how much of the clay-making process is hardcoded so I've mostly left it alone for now, pet values are overwritten by the one below it so that's not really a problem but it is messy I will admit, and the last issue is partially intended because they are meant to be big races. That said, NPCs simply don't dual-wield ever unless the player forces them so it's a moot point.

I do enjoy Nihei though.
I didn't know that about dual-wielding. I guess it only affects shield use then? I agree, not a big deal.

Second point was just that I thought Blue Whales might not actually spawn in game given their tags, but I had yet to start a dolphin-uplift fort. I don't see them in the 2.66 raws, so I guess it doesn't matter for now.

So about the pottery, I did notice the changes, and I like the new names. More fitting, I think.
My note was about the soil input and pottery output being strange, though nothing is broken that I've seen.
I don't know for certain what you intend with clay-type materials but here is what you had in 2.61:

plastic refuse
OR                  -> earthenware [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE]
tar clay
industrial runoff -> stoneware    [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_STONEWARE]
-nothing-         -> plastic         [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PLASTIC]
-nothing-         -> porcelain      [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PORCELAIN]

In 2.66:
plastic refuse
OR                  -> recycled plastic [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE]
tar clay
industrial runoff -> recycled slag    [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_STONEWARE]
-nothing-         -> porcelain          [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PORCELAIN]

It just seemed weird, at first, that tar clay and plastic garbage have the same out put, but then I realized that the 'kiln' might be doing more than a typical kiln and petrochemical refinement might be going on. Maybe?
On the other hand though, atypical of plastics, the recycled plastic leaks liquid and cannot be used to store any liquid (and possibly any food) unless it is glazed. I suppose this could signify that it is just really crappy plastic that needs extra post-processing but then the glazing options should probably be changed as the only two available are ash and tin glaze which would not be effective on most plastics currently in use today. Maybe create a new reaction for plastic glazing using more harvested plastic refuse? Like applying a second coat?
On the other hand, if that's not what you want, you can just remove the [ABSORPTION:10] and [DISPLAY_UNGLAZED] tags from the recycled plastic and it should hold liquids, no problem.

I tend to use a lot of pots for food storage, so it is a matter near and dear to me. Sorry if I'm being weird about it.

I do like the idea of a plastic glaze though, maybe not for the recycled plastic but for the recycled slag. You know, give it a plastic coating to make it food safe. Sounds neat to me.
Also, have you considered making any of the stones kilnable/glassable? Sort of like kaolinite or rock crystal in the base game. I think plastiglass and crystalline glass are prime for it. Plastiglass could make superior vessels, like the vats on the utility worm backs. And crystalline glass could make very expensive glassware items.

Another thought I had, with nothing to do with pottery, is about the base game's animal-man mechanics. With the descriptions of the nanomutants talking about how they are failed attempts to create more-or-less humans adapted to life in the wasteland and now with the clone creatures being the same but biological rather than nano-mechanical, I thought you might be able to use that mechanic to make small tribal groups of nanomutants or failed clones that represent limited strains of their kinds that have achieved a rudimentary sapience and formed a loose society and, like the base game, wander about the surface or camp out in the upper caverns. They would be rare, I suppose, but it would be interesting. And creepy. What do you think?

EDIT: Looked up glazing in depth. It turns out ash glazing IS one of those hard-coded things like you mentioned, but tin-glazing is not and, furthermore, actually require cassiterite and not tin, so we in the far future can't do that anyway. However, it might be possible to re-work tin glaze to be plastic coating.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:54:27 am by deusvult6 »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.65
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2020, 12:15:34 pm »

I missed the blue whales, not sure what the second point is about, thought I fixed the earthenware thing so idk why it didn't work, will look into that, I am unsure how much of the clay-making process is hardcoded so I've mostly left it alone for now, pet values are overwritten by the one below it so that's not really a problem but it is messy I will admit, and the last issue is partially intended because they are meant to be big races. That said, NPCs simply don't dual-wield ever unless the player forces them so it's a moot point.

I do enjoy Nihei though.
I didn't know that about dual-wielding. I guess it only affects shield use then? I agree, not a big deal.

Second point was just that I thought Blue Whales might not actually spawn in game given their tags, but I had yet to start a dolphin-uplift fort. I don't see them in the 2.66 raws, so I guess it doesn't matter for now.

So about the pottery, I did notice the changes, and I like the new names. More fitting, I think.
My note was about the soil input and pottery output being strange, though nothing is broken that I've seen.
I don't know for certain what you intend with clay-type materials but here is what you had in 2.61:

plastic refuse
OR                  -> earthenware [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE]
tar clay
industrial runoff -> stoneware    [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_STONEWARE]
-nothing-         -> plastic         [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PLASTIC]
-nothing-         -> porcelain      [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PORCELAIN]

In 2.66:
plastic refuse
OR                  -> recycled plastic [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE]
tar clay
industrial runoff -> recycled slag    [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_STONEWARE]
-nothing-         -> porcelain          [INORGANIC:CERAMIC_PORCELAIN]

It just seemed weird, at first, that tar clay and plastic garbage have the same out put, but then I realized that the 'kiln' might be doing more than a typical kiln and petrochemical refinement might be going on. Maybe?
On the other hand though, atypical of plastics, the recycled plastic leaks liquid and cannot be used to store any liquid (and possibly any food) unless it is glazed. I suppose this could signify that it is just really crappy plastic that needs extra post-processing but then the glazing options should probably be changed as the only two available are ash and tin glaze which would not be effective on most plastics currently in use today. Maybe create a new reaction for plastic glazing using more harvested plastic refuse? Like applying a second coat?
On the other hand, if that's not what you want, you can just remove the [ABSORPTION:10] and [DISPLAY_UNGLAZED] tags from the recycled plastic and it should hold liquids, no problem.

I tend to use a lot of pots for food storage, so it is a matter near and dear to me. Sorry if I'm being weird about it.

I do like the idea of a plastic glaze though, maybe not for the recycled plastic but for the recycled slag. You know, give it a plastic coating to make it food safe. Sounds neat to me.
Also, have you considered making any of the stones kilnable/glassable? Sort of like kaolinite or rock crystal in the base game. I think plastiglass and crystalline glass are prime for it. Plastiglass could make superior vessels, like the vats on the utility worm backs. And crystalline glass could make very expensive glassware items.

Another thought I had, with nothing to do with pottery, is about the base game's animal-man mechanics. With the descriptions of the nanomutants talking about how they are failed attempts to create more-or-less humans adapted to life in the wasteland and now with the clone creatures being the same but biological rather than nano-mechanical, I thought you might be able to use that mechanic to make small tribal groups of nanomutants or failed clones that represent limited strains of their kinds that have achieved a rudimentary sapience and formed a loose society and, like the base game, wander about the surface or camp out in the upper caverns. They would be rare, I suppose, but it would be interesting. And creepy. What do you think?

EDIT: Looked up glazing in depth. It turns out ash glazing IS one of those hard-coded things like you mentioned, but tin-glazing is not and, furthermore, actually require cassiterite and not tin, so we in the far future can't do that anyway. However, it might be possible to re-work tin glaze to be plastic coating.

Thanks for the information. I honestly have done very little with clay making so frankly I don't really know how to make it work. However, I've updated the mod so that ocean soil makes porcelain due to its high amount of silicates, and glass gems can be made into glassware. Let me know if that works or not. Also, humanoid forms of biological mutants are the Subhuman race, and humanoid nanomachine monsters are Asura, Yaksha, and Rakshasa.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.67
« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2020, 12:53:02 am »

Who knew we can write a mini research paper on the mechanics of plastics within DF  :P ;D.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 2.68
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2020, 08:30:09 pm »

Question: How rare is it to find glowing mushroom plants? And what would be the createitem command to make glowing mushroom spawn? Would it be something like dfhack: createitem PLANT GLOWING MUSHROOM SPAWN. Ive only been able to spawn in the normal one word mushroom with the dfhack screen.

I've been trying to find this one plant in the lower subterranean levels between 1-3 and I've had no luck so far. Is it a rare plant or am I going crazy.

EDIT: createitem PLANT GLOWING_MUSHROOM
I figured it out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:45:29 pm by Striderdarnell »

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2020, 12:12:06 am »

Question: How rare is it to find glowing mushroom plants? And what would be the createitem command to make glowing mushroom spawn? Would it be something like dfhack: createitem PLANT GLOWING MUSHROOM SPAWN. Ive only been able to spawn in the normal one word mushroom with the dfhack screen.

I've been trying to find this one plant in the lower subterranean levels between 1-3 and I've had no luck so far. Is it a rare plant or am I going crazy.

EDIT: createitem PLANT GLOWING_MUSHROOM
I figured it out.
From the raws it looks like they are rare. They have a frequency of 10 meaning a 10% chance to exist in an assigned biome.

deusvult6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2020, 02:26:08 am »

Thanks for the information. I honestly have done very little with clay making so frankly I don't really know how to make it work.
You're welcome and it's little wonder. There are so many facets to this game that it can be crazy keeping track of everything.

However, I've updated the mod so that ocean soil makes porcelain due to its high amount of silicates, and glass gems can be made into glassware. Let me know if that works or not.
I've looked the new stuff over and that's pretty interesting. I know pelagic soils are hard to encounter in fort mode as they tend to only exist under deep ocean areas but maybe a coastline or island embark stretched out over the ocean could do it? I'll have to try it out for kicks at some point. But I think it's fitting as an ultra-rare, high-quality ceramic that would normally be unknown in the post-apocalyptic setting. I like the glassware, too. Not what I was thinking when I suggested that (I was just thinking of [CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE] tag for making crystal glass) however, a new ceramic is better as glass-making is ALL hard-coded. And it fits so everything's good.

The only further suggestion I can think of would be to adjust the value to fit the quality/rarity: maybe make pelagic porcelain a bit more to reflect the difficulty in mining the raw materials, and glassware is currently at 10 while it can be made from plastiglass (10) and crystalline class (50). Meaning plastiglass gains no value and crystalline glass loses a lot of value, but maybe that's appropriate. Like maybe it loses quality or aesthetic appeal when it is melted down for secondary use. I don't know. In any case, NOT an urgent matter.

Also, humanoid forms of biological mutants are the Subhuman race, and humanoid nanomachine monsters are Asura, Yaksha, and Rakshasa.
Ah, yeah, makes sense. Nevermind, I guess. In the base game, animal people seem most useful in adventurer mode anyway and you already have a wide variety of races to choose from.

EDIT: Sweet! Another Kruggsmash video! Keep crushin' it squamous!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:36:42 pm by deusvult6 »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2020, 06:28:47 pm »

I'm happy that squamous is getting alot of attention. He's made so many mods in the stint of everyone else kinda stepping back for awhile.

Striderdarnell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2020, 01:48:17 am »

@squamous
Next Stop, Octopus uplift fortress!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All seriousness, the latest update fix definitely helped and added some life improvements. Now we get to see what weapon types we are making and easily make production orders for our military  ;D

Question 1: Have you seen more interest or support after the latest episode Kruggsmash uploaded?
Question 2: What ideas might you still have for the mod or lore for The Long Night. Or what do you wish to explore still in the mod once you have time or interest?
Question 3: What's your favorite race or faction in the mod.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2020, 01:59:45 am »

@squamous

Question 1: Have you seen more interest or support after the latest episode Kruggsmash uploaded?

+1 for uplift octopi.

This thread popped off when the first Kruggsmash video showed up. As a community member, and not a modder, really, I started commenting just to answer the non-mod questions people had who were somewhat new to DF. I noted the newest video didn't have the same influx of newbies this time, but that may also do with more information being out there already.

I expected an influx of new players again, and am a little disappointed it hasn't happened like last time. Either way, squamous's mod getting more attention is great, as you did amazing work worthy of recognition.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2020, 11:13:20 am »

@squamous
All seriousness, the latest update fix definitely helped and added some life improvements. Now we get to see what weapon types we are making and easily make production orders for our military  ;D

Question 2: What ideas might you still have for the mod or lore for The Long Night. Or what do you wish to explore still in the mod once you have time or interest?
Question 3: What's your favorite race or faction in the mod.

1. I've made a bit more on patreon so that's definitely a plus! With luck money will keep trickling in until I can make a career out of it.
2. I think the basic foundation is pretty settled, all that's left is adding little chunks of content here and there as I think of them
3. It's a toss-up between the Asura and the Cultivator Cyborgs. The Asura are just fun aesthetically and have a good theme of techno-magical demigods who opposed the heavens in the name of their own pride and desire for freedom, while cultivator cyborgs are solely comprised of the most exceptional of biological mortals, each one having a unique story and set of powers.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Bones Johnson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:10 am »

Hello! I've started playing Adventure Mode in the mod recently (first time I've ever really played Dwarf Fortress's Adventure Mode) and I'm having a lot of fun, though I've found some minor bugs related to adventurer crafting. They're an Asura Outsider, should it be relevant.

The options in primitive metalcrafting could really do with being renamed. I had some spare bronze chunks and not enough metal in general to turn into nanotechne, so I decided to make some weapons for throwing. Turns out that trying to make a warhammer resulted in a scattergun, a battleaxe a scatterpistol, and a crossbow a long shiv. Bolts did actually make bolts though.

When using the deconstruction option to break down equipment into junks, it seems weapons always give 3 chunks, and as it only takes 1 to make a pistol, you can infinite generate chunks of your choice. Or at least it worked for the bronze stuff I was working with. Also, it seems you can't break down exo-helments or arms/legs, which is somewhat annoying.

I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not, but my character is unable to craft exo-arms and legs. They can make every exo-suit and helm available, just not arms and legs, I've had to find and loot those so far.
There's a skeleton in all of us, waiting to burst out.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2020, 05:21:17 pm »

Hello! I've started playing Adventure Mode in the mod recently (first time I've ever really played Dwarf Fortress's Adventure Mode) and I'm having a lot of fun, though I've found some minor bugs related to adventurer crafting. They're an Asura Outsider, should it be relevant.

The options in primitive metalcrafting could really do with being renamed. I had some spare bronze chunks and not enough metal in general to turn into nanotechne, so I decided to make some weapons for throwing. Turns out that trying to make a warhammer resulted in a scattergun, a battleaxe a scatterpistol, and a crossbow a long shiv. Bolts did actually make bolts though.

When using the deconstruction option to break down equipment into junks, it seems weapons always give 3 chunks, and as it only takes 1 to make a pistol, you can infinite generate chunks of your choice. Or at least it worked for the bronze stuff I was working with. Also, it seems you can't break down exo-helments or arms/legs, which is somewhat annoying.

I'm not sure whether it's intentional or not, but my character is unable to craft exo-arms and legs. They can make every exo-suit and helm available, just not arms and legs, I've had to find and loot those so far.

I'll check out that stuff. However, crafting arms in adventure mode is just broken right now unfortunately, you can't equip them if you make them. The rest will be looked over.

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2020, 08:00:09 pm »

I'm getting really frustrated with not being able to craft any weapons. I can't craft any shivs cuz it keeps saying "no sharpenable stone" and the metal i have is useless because for some reason i can't use steel to make a shiv >.>

I'm close to just modifying the files to allow the metals to be actually used for simple melee weapons.

also wtf are all the metals at the bottom of the list? "dark metal" "translucent metal" that stuff. they can be used to make weapons but i have not been able to find any of them in the ground and there are no options in the smelters that refer to their bars .-.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:37 pm »

I'm getting really frustrated with not being able to craft any weapons. I can't craft any shivs cuz it keeps saying "no sharpenable stone" and the metal i have is useless because for some reason i can't use steel to make a shiv >.>

I'm close to just modifying the files to allow the metals to be actually used for simple melee weapons.

also wtf are all the metals at the bottom of the list? "dark metal" "translucent metal" that stuff. they can be used to make weapons but i have not been able to find any of them in the ground and there are no options in the smelters that refer to their bars .-.

You use nanotechne for all weapons. Normal metal can't be used for anything except decoration, as lore-wise having weapon and armor made out of ubiquitous self-adapting quasi-alive supermetal trumps mundane metals, so making that stuff out of anything else would be a waste of effort. Also, while its called a shiv, it's more like an elegant stiletto dagger than a crude prison stabby thing.

All the bottom stuff, however, is procedurally-generated angelic materials i haven't figured out how to delete yet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:15:21 pm by squamous »

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2020, 08:24:12 pm »

You use nanotechne for all weapons. Normal metal can't be used for anything except decoration, as lore-wise having weapon and armor made out of ubiquitous self-adapting quasi-alive supermetal trumps mundane metals, so making that stuff out of anything else would be a waste of effort. Also, while its called a shiv, it's more like an elegant stiletto dagger than a crude prison stabby thing.

All the bottom stuff, however, is procedurally-generated angelic materials i haven't figured out how to delete yet.
I'm aware what a shiv is in lore, but that doesn't change the fact that for ppl who don't have access to the more advanced stuff they should be able to build improvized weaponry.

also i love how i can make bullets out of wood but not steel because "that's not gonna do anything against exo-suits blahblahblah"

Its really dumb to not include options for early game defense, regardless of its efficacy it should be possible to make use of it, especially since in lore certain groups (subhumans for example) have reverted to much more primitive states of living. Obviously nanotechne should outclass non-adaptive materials, but that doesn't preclude those materials from being used to craft weapons (especially melee weapons, you can make a stiletto dagger out of normal metal so why can't these post-apocalypse ppl do the same?)

It just makes 0 sense to create a setting like this where its a neo-dark age where most technological understanding is lost and ppl view its remnants as magic, and then also decide that these neo-dark age survivors wouldn't even bother using other materials even if they literally don't have access to them. It's really irritating and is breaking my immersion.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25