Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity  (Read 14748 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 11:07:00 am »

Same as IRL, they go smoke outside.

That or you designate them some smoking rooms/zones in well ventilated areas.

God help the FPS when all the dwarves have to go smoke outside.   :)

Thing is that if we have a smoking room, why bother smoking individually at all.  Why not just burn something in a brazier and then send the smoke off to the surface via a chimney?

As far as i recall, there is nothing about simulating smoke and ventilation in the Dev page, so no, it doesn't really factor in at all. Also, toady did for example make necromancers before myth and magic, so it''s not like that sort of thing stops him.

On another note, your point about if dwarves smoke at all is legit, but I'd argue that it's a cultural thing. Like, the humans may have introduced them to it or something.

The dev page is only the imminent things.  There is little point in suggesting something that is already on the dev page.  Smoking is very much connecting syndromes to smoke really.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »

burning something in a room instead of smoking it seams VERY inefficient... i mean, when you smoke from a pipe the smoke goes directly into your system. not that i wouldn't appreciate brazier as furneture, where you can burn stuff and then the dwarves get a happy thought/effect when passing by (or through actual smoke, like an opposite miasma effect)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 03:16:36 pm »

God help the FPS when all the dwarves have to go smoke outside.   :)

Thing is that if we have a smoking room, why bother smoking individually at all.  Why not just burn something in a brazier and then send the smoke off to the surface via a chimney?

FPS? Only issue I thought of was evil rain, which as per usual with evil rain, build a gazebo and the problem goes away. Why would FPS be any more of an issue than when dwarves need to go eat, drink, or sleep?

And I fully expect some players to hotbox dwarves if this becomes a thing, if that's what you're getting at with the brazier thing, especially if their world generates any side-effect-free smoke-able substances, but it's still not as effective as individuals smoking. Again, look at IRL behaviour, hotboxing is usually the result of second-hand smoke, not from directly burning substances, although I do believe I once saw someone on TV put whiskey or something on the coals in a sauna just to see if it could get them drunk. Turns out that yes it does but, as with hotboxing, it's not as effective.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:46 pm »

burning something in a room instead of smoking it seams VERY inefficient... i mean, when you smoke from a pipe the smoke goes directly into your system. not that i wouldn't appreciate brazier as furneture, where you can burn stuff and then the dwarves get a happy thought/effect when passing by (or through actual smoke, like an opposite miasma effect)
Elven hippy incense.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 03:51:47 pm »

Elven hippy incense.
Yes. It'll make the elves actually useful.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:17 am »

burning something in a room instead of smoking it seams VERY inefficient... i mean, when you smoke from a pipe the smoke goes directly into your system. not that i wouldn't appreciate brazier as furniture, where you can burn stuff and then the dwarves get a happy thought/effect when passing by (or through actual smoke, like an opposite miasma effect)

It is certainly not inefficient from the perspective of materials, it makes more sense per leaf to burn them all in the center of the room if for reasons of ventilation all the dwarves need to get together into said room anyway.  The smokiness of the room, if there is a large enough brazier for the room will soon rival that of the smoke actually inhaled by an individual smoker for less leaves. 

The key issue in any case is that of second-hand smoking.

FPS? Only issue I thought of was evil rain, which as per usual with evil rain, build a gazebo and the problem goes away. Why would FPS be any more of an issue than when dwarves need to go eat, drink, or sleep?

And I fully expect some players to hotbox dwarves if this becomes a thing, if that's what you're getting at with the brazier thing, especially if their world generates any side-effect-free smoke-able substances, but it's still not as effective as individuals smoking. Again, look at IRL behaviour, hotboxing is usually the result of second-hand smoke, not from directly burning substances, although I do believe I once saw someone on TV put whiskey or something on the coals in a sauna just to see if it could get them drunk. Turns out that yes it does but, as with hotboxing, it's not as effective.

It is an extra thing on top of the need to eat, drink and sleep.  Having to go all the way to surface to do it sounds like it would discourage smoking among dwarves, plus it would interfere with productivity a lot. 

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 01:51:14 pm »

It is an extra thing on top of the need to eat, drink and sleep.  Having to go all the way to surface to do it sounds like it would discourage smoking among dwarves, plus it would interfere with productivity a lot. 

Well, yes and no on it being another dwarven need to keep on top of. It's not so much a need, cause they can live a perfectly happy life without ever smoking at all, but there is the possibility of addiction, and then it pretty much is a need, but only for some dwarves.

As for going to the surface, it entirely depends upon fortress design as to whether that would be discouraging, if you have multiple surface access points it's no issue at all, same for if you have a very vertical fortress around a centralised staircase, but if you make a labyrinth with a single entrance yeah it'd be pretty discouraging. As for the interference with productivity, I think it can afford to take a hit, dwarves are already very productive provided they aren't overly hungry, thirsty, tired, injured, stressed, or sober, and it's usually pretty easy to keep on top of all of those except for stress.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 05:44:59 pm »

Elven hippy incense.

Im not sure that grinding a elf down and smothering them onto a stick to make a ignitable aeromatic would really help but it might atleast help raise the ambience.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »

It is certainly not inefficient from the perspective of materials, it makes more sense per leaf to burn them all in the center of the room if for reasons of ventilation all the dwarves need to get together into said room anyway.  The smokiness of the room, if there is a large enough brazier for the room will soon rival that of the smoke actually inhaled by an individual smoker for less leaves. 

The key issue in any case is that of second-hand smoking.

It's probably more pleasant to have the smoke concentrated in the lungs, and not so much in the eyes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:43:46 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 07:59:16 am »

It's probably more pleasant to have the smoke concentrated in the lungs, and not so much in the eyes.

Smoke rises, the eyes are above the mouth.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 04:04:24 pm »

Smoke rises, the eyes are above the mouth.

A moot point if the room is filled with the required density of smoke for passive inhalation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:06:59 pm by Bumber »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 08:34:53 am »

A moot point if the room is filled with the required density of smoke for passive inhalation.

It was a comparison dear Bumber.....

An issue with individual smoking is that a small amount of smoke cools down faster than a large body of smoke from a large fire.  Since heat rises and it is heat rising that causes the smoke to go up the chimney, the smoke from individual smokers might well cool down before it can go up the chimney properly. 

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 05:45:19 am »

Hey man, leave my bilberries alone!  8) They are not to be smoked, as I need them for my bilberry wine!  :'( Grr...  >:( Those Dwarven addicts.  :o Can we have forced intervention implemented too? :P :D

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 01:57:29 pm »

It was a comparison dear Bumber.....

An issue with individual smoking is that a small amount of smoke cools down faster than a large body of smoke from a large fire.  Since heat rises and it is heat rising that causes the smoke to go up the chimney, the smoke from individual smokers might well cool down before it can go up the chimney properly.

Wouldn’t you just have something like a fireplace in that case to create a column of constant air flow?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 06:36:18 pm »

If drugs ever got added, they should use the existing extracts for it. Gnomeblight, liquid fire, mog juice, all are pretty useless but could have wacky, perhaps procedural, effects on the imbiber.

Now, dwarevn junkies might not quite seem in the spirit of things, but do recall that alcoholism and alcohol poisoning are in the game, so I don't think the moralism thing is what is at issue here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8