Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity  (Read 14747 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2019, 07:44:48 am »

How about we combine the idea of using pipes, with the occasional use of paper-wrappings (IDK if its particularly historically accurate, but it could be, and it works for my next idea)

And dwarves who are either prone to unconciousness, or who are smoking after a long time without sleep (assuming youre like me and dont set up beds too much) run a risk of catching fire while unconcious, based on what theyre smoking and how long it's been lit. Fires from this of course would spread over wooden furniture... or through the booze stockpile...

I think paper was too valuable until modern times to be used for smoking purposes.  If dwarves fall to sleep while smoking, other nearby dwarves need to be able to understand the fire risk and immediately try to set out the fires.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2019, 08:30:10 pm »

I think paper was too valuable until modern times to be used for smoking purposes.
They'd probably use a leaf instead.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2019, 09:59:24 pm »

Give that man a cigar

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2019, 02:28:51 pm »

I think paper was too valuable until modern times to be used for smoking purposes.

It may be valuable but forts can have tons of it anyways. Why not both though?
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2019, 06:55:18 am »

It may be valuable but forts can have tons of it anyways. Why not both though?

More like human towns.  Individual smoking is a real problem for dwarf fortresses as already discussed in length. 

The answer here is that we already have pipes to smoke. 

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2019, 02:44:14 pm »

I'd just like to start off by saying I loved every moment of this insanity and I don't know of any other gaming community in which the discussion of a simple mechanism that permits Dwarves to smoke stuff spirals into a complex discussion on fluid dynamics lol

Either way, I think there is one question that is more important than all others so far that hasn't been addressed with due focus: Would dwarves be comfortable in these smoking chambers? Firstly, because we have no raw numbers being given as to how hot these gases would need to be in order to go up as fast as GoblinCookie proposes, thus making it hard for us to assess if he devised an efficient ventilation system for a smoking (in the lungs) room or an elaborate smoking (in the cooking sense) room. Basically, the dwarves could become smoked meat depending on how hot this thing gets and we need further elaboration on that with concrete numbers. Secondly, if it doesn't kill them, will it still be uncomfortable? How will the dense smoke affect their eyes? Will it hurt? Will they feel trouble breathing? To what point? Depending on the answers to these two questions it becomes less likely that dwarves would use such a mechanism, preferring to either smoke outside or make more elaborate (but also more comfortable) ventilation systems.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:46:42 pm by VABritto »

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2019, 04:28:34 pm »

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time around braziers myself, I imagine it would be quite annoying to have soot mixed in with your preferred syndrome-inducing gas. I don't smoke myself but even when I share a fire with those who do, nobody likes the smoke from the fire to be blowing into their face. Thinking about it, I've shared a fire with a pipe-smoking blacksmith and even he would complain when downwind.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2019, 06:50:17 pm »

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time around braziers myself, I imagine it would be quite annoying to have soot mixed in with your preferred syndrome-inducing gas. I don't smoke myself but even when I share a fire with those who do, nobody likes the smoke from the fire to be blowing into their face. Thinking about it, I've shared a fire with a pipe-smoking blacksmith and even he would complain when downwind.

That is what I thought. Even if (and there is no guarentee of that yet because of the problems I said) one concedes that you won't cook the dwarves alive, it just doesn't seem like a satisfying experience at all to be in a very very hot room full of soot and smoke.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2019, 11:29:14 am »

I'd like smoking and associated syndromes- both procgen and hardcoded.  The room of burning plants with a chimney idea is pointless and crazy or we'd see people using this method to smoke.  Even similar real life examples of smoke houses are still people directly inhaling from devices into their lungs and then letting the room get smokey. 

It would work perfectly fine to have [1 smokable leaf + 1 dwarf = 1 tile of smoke] that dissipates like any other smoke. That smoke could bother others (good thought for smoker, bad thoughts for second hand breather) so you could designate non-smoking areas to take care of it.

But seriously, if your wood burning workshop turning trees into ash all day isn't making smoke it's a waste of time to argue about the smoke produced from a single leaf, I'd be fine with no smoke at all: dwarf consumes smokable leaf, gets thought.

Adding social aspects to it would be ideal.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2019, 06:37:42 am »

I'd just like to start off by saying I loved every moment of this insanity and I don't know of any other gaming community in which the discussion of a simple mechanism that permits Dwarves to smoke stuff spirals into a complex discussion on fluid dynamics lol

Either way, I think there is one question that is more important than all others so far that hasn't been addressed with due focus: Would dwarves be comfortable in these smoking chambers? Firstly, because we have no raw numbers being given as to how hot these gases would need to be in order to go up as fast as GoblinCookie proposes, thus making it hard for us to assess if he devised an efficient ventilation system for a smoking (in the lungs) room or an elaborate smoking (in the cooking sense) room. Basically, the dwarves could become smoked meat depending on how hot this thing gets and we need further elaboration on that with concrete numbers. Secondly, if it doesn't kill them, will it still be uncomfortable? How will the dense smoke affect their eyes? Will it hurt? Will they feel trouble breathing? To what point? Depending on the answers to these two questions it becomes less likely that dwarves would use such a mechanism, preferring to either smoke outside or make more elaborate (but also more comfortable) ventilation systems.

The idea is that there are three rooms, one of them has the fire in, a second room is where the smoke goes and there is a third room with the dwarves in.  A valve allows small amounts of smoke from the second room into the room the dwarves are in, the dwarves inhale that smoke in controlled doses. 

But to be honest dwarves probably just would not smoke at all; same with all subterranean troglodyte creatures. 

I'd like smoking and associated syndromes- both procgen and hardcoded.  The room of burning plants with a chimney idea is pointless and crazy or we'd see people using this method to smoke.  Even similar real life examples of smoke houses are still people directly inhaling from devices into their lungs and then letting the room get smokey. 

Real-life people do not live in dwarf fortresses.  Smoking in a dwarf fortress is basically the same problem as any other kind of fire or smelting operation, how to have people get close to it without killing them and how to get rid of the fumes. 

Smokers inhale soot as a rule, this is part of what makes it so unhealthy.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2019, 06:55:19 am »

Why wouldn't dwarves smoke at all?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2019, 12:56:15 pm »

Oh god not the airflow debate again

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:50 pm »

Oh god not the airflow debate again

If the reason is only the air flow (I've seen the debate), then that is an insufficient reasoning. It presumes something that humanity has proven to not necessarily be true: that difficulties make us not do something. Difficulties might make something less common, surely. It might even make them non-existent, I grant you that GoblinCookie. But notice I said might. Your logic does not necessarily follow that undoubtedly absolutely no group of dwarves would ever choose to walk up out of the fortress to smoke. It also does not seem impossible that a given smoke loving dwarven civilization would not ever think of investing serious technology to make smoking as pleasant and easy as possible, including with good ventilation systems (something they will have to develope anyway given how they operate furnaces underground all the time). I'm not saying that you are wrong about it being difficult. I am saying you are wrong to assume that it being difficult means it would never be done or seldom so.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2019, 01:18:37 pm »

Smokers inhale soot as a rule, this is part of what makes it so unhealthy.

They do, but it's a different ratio. Wood/coal fires can be extremely sooty, while smokers can more or less control the rate at which they breathe in soot by smoking at a speed at which they feel comfortable.

But to be honest dwarves probably just would not smoke at all; same with all subterranean troglodyte creatures. 

Dwarves aren't purely subterranean though, there is no reason they couldn't surface to smoke, especially hillock dwarves. I agree that cavern folk probably wouldn't smoke, even if we disagree on the whole "should cavern flora produce oxygen" thing, smoke buildup would be an issue with or without an oxygen supply, ventilation is non-negotiable for that sorta stuff. I reckon they're more of a mushroom crowd anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8