Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity  (Read 14507 times)

Waterlimon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Smoking leaves as dwarven activity
« on: December 01, 2018, 03:04:29 am »

Not necessarily tobacco, some exotic leaves will do.

You can then build a smoking room for example and trade the ingredients, also a workshop for preparing the stuff.

A little economy around smoking will arise. Keeps dwarves warm in gold biomes?

I mean, theyre already alcoholic so...

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking leaves as dwarven activity
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:58:13 am »

What about all that smoke?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:27:36 am »

I imagine the exact same thing as all of the smoke from wood burning/ore melting/blacksmithing/brewing alchohol/cooking/more that I forgot, not the mention refreshing air for oxygen, vapours from the various chemical processes happening in the workshops and vapours traveling through convection from magma. Maybe this game isn't very interested in simulating the airy stuff right now, and I am not sure why its Waterlimon's job to justify smoke when nothing else does.

FWIW, Smoking did show up in the old devlist(it's one of the first things to show up in The Hobbit, after all), and Toady mentioned in one of the DFTalks that they did want it, but it somehow slipped between the cracks for mentioning in the current devlist.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:42:56 am »

Also health controversy might steer Toady away i might think based on the content of the smokables and links to ill health.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:12:16 am »

Procedurially generated plants with procedurially generated syndroms please.
Effect vary depending on use. Wether you cook them, smoke them, eat them raw, etc. You'll have to smoke all of it before you find out which one makes you happy without ablating your liver.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »

The solution is a generic "luxury good" or "comfort item" interaction for dwarves.  Just a good that produces happy thoughts when consumed that is not food or drink.  For example a chocolate bar, chewing gum, sweets, coffee, or tea.

Then if a player wants they can mod in tobacco or similar items.

Right now they only get material 'good thoughts' from nice clothes or trinkets.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 01:28:14 am »

Also health controversy might steer Toady away i might think based on the content of the smokables and links to ill health.
Very much doubt it. If dwarves in LotR can smoke a pipe, then there's no reason for him to avoid it. The public is already aware of the health effects.

Drinking yourself to death is bad too, right?

Addendum:
Bloat43, THINGS TO SMOKE, (Future): Things to smoke, pipes, smoke circle events and so on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:46:06 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 09:27:33 am »

I imagine the exact same thing as all of the smoke from wood burning/ore melting/blacksmithing/brewing alchohol/cooking/more that I forgot, not the mention refreshing air for oxygen, vapours from the various chemical processes happening in the workshops and vapours traveling through convection from magma. Maybe this game isn't very interested in simulating the airy stuff right now, and I am not sure why its Waterlimon's job to justify smoke when nothing else does.

FWIW, Smoking did show up in the old devlist(it's one of the first things to show up in The Hobbit, after all), and Toady mentioned in one of the DFTalks that they did want it, but it somehow slipped between the cracks for mentioning in the current devlist.

My point was that we are talking about whether dwarves would smoke at all, so it is relevant even if it is not in as a mechanic presently.  Owing to the smoke, I think the answer would be no; same applies to all troglodytitic creatures. 

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:55:00 am »

I totally would want to talk about it with anyone else but you, because you are so entrenched in your environmental determinism that there's not much of a point to discuss it. I still do not think it is Waterlimon's job to justify things the game itself does not justify.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:36 am »

I totally would want to talk about it with anyone else but you, because you are so entrenched in your environmental determinism that there's not much of a point to discuss it. I still do not think it is Waterlimon's job to justify things the game itself does not justify.

What's wrong with my environmental determinism?  ???

The game is unfinished.  This means stuff that there are no specific mechanics for yet, does still matter when considering what new things to add into the game. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:05:00 am by GoblinCookie »

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »

Effect vary depending on use. Wether you cook them, smoke them, eat them raw, etc. You'll have to smoke all of it before you find out which one makes you happy without ablating your liver.
+1
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 01:33:49 pm »

What about all that smoke?

Same as IRL, they go smoke outside.

That or you designate them some smoking rooms/zones in well ventilated areas.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:56 am »

What's wrong with my environmental determinism?  ???

The game is unfinished.  This means stuff that there are no specific mechanics for yet, does still matter when considering what new things to add into the game.

As far as i recall, there is nothing about simulating smoke and ventilation in the Dev page, so no, it doesn't really factor in at all. Also, toady did for example make necromancers before myth and magic, so it''s not like that sort of thing stops him.

On another note, your point about if dwarves smoke at all is legit, but I'd argue that it's a cultural thing. Like, the humans may have introduced them to it or something.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »

Holy moly, yes please.
Incorporated as part of a procedural alchemy system, perhaps?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:37 am »

Loving it! the alchemy skill is already in the game, so why not!
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8