Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone recommend good MUDs? (so far I've found Discworld and Armageddon)  (Read 6341 times)

TWO CATATA

• Bay Watcher
  • twin kavat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend good MUDs? (so far I've found Discworld and Armageddon)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 11:46:12 pm »

http://www.avpmud.com used to be really active, you can only get an idea from flicking through the news terminal, it died out hard after they decided to do a player wipe and most people left cos they didn't want to level up again, the whole thing lost momentum... It used to be ridiculously active though, with clan bases that admins customised for people, and a neutral capturable outpost place people can fight over (in the last incarnation I think is how it's left now), they had a lot of custom "mission" pvp places based around things like the film event horizon, The Cube film etc too it was lots of fun I remember

If you have a bunch of friends willing to play pvp on stuff they might like it, it's got shooting between rooms and a lot of interesting mechanics, it's built around PVP (the no-pk got turned off by attacking or automatically after a few hours), the head admin Fearitself visits occasionally don't know if they still do but I remember they said they are going to keep the lights on while they still breathe but who knows how long that is

MUDs never save copies to The Internet Archive they just disappear before a lot of people ever even get to see them (another example I can think of is someone made a spinoff of AVPMUD based on Starcraft's lore and built up a huge explorable world for their pvp game around that also regularly had 30+ people on but is now almost completely gone without a trace from the internet or even any way to contact the owner), it's sad really, sometimes you get these really high quality things with dedicated people writing their soul out in words and programming, but cos it's so small as soon as anyone important disappears the whole thing goes cos no one has backups of anything. Explore lesser visited places, cos they don't last long!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:56:28 pm by TWO CATATA »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend good MUDs? (so far I've found Discworld and Armageddon)
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 11:57:02 pm »

Lusternia is pretty good.  Yeah, it's Iron Realms, and all the stuff you've heard is probably true, but I found the money needed to get in isn't that bad.  It depends on the class you play, like monks can dick on people in PvP with little more than maxed weapon skill and the bare minimum of other combat skills, but then stuff like priests yeah, you're gonna be putting some cash in to get your skills workable in PvP.

I actually found the script-heavy PvP pretty fun.  The way it works is there's dozens of different status effects and probably 20 or so curatives of different types (salves, potions, smokeable herbs, spells, etc.) so it's too complicated to do yourself in real-time.  The scripting, at least when I did it, was only for managing cures.  It sounds complicated, and it is, but once you've got your script running effectively, and there's lots of third party scripts you can use rather than make them yourself, then you can just focus on offense, which is the fun part.   There are limits to how fast you can use cures, and a lot of the status effects disable certain types of cure, so the goal is to overload his ability to cure himself with interlocking afflictions.  Put a poison on your spiked chain that causes oily sweat and make salves slide off, then crush his windpipe.  He can't smoke to cure the poison, and he can't apply a salve to fix his throat.  Then hit him with something like death poison or burst his organs with your chain and see if he can get his shit together before he dies.

It's a wall of text, but with enough practice you start to "see the code" so to speak and it becomes a lot easier.   

All that being said I dunno if I'd recommend it.  There's a lot of secret club shit and internal politicking so if you're new you'll probably have trouble getting anything done.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2]