Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack and names  (Read 2887 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFHack and names
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:33:30 pm »

So, is there already in existence a DFHack script that would affect names, including of figures generated in worldgen?

Namely, is there anything that might allow for, say, gendered names? Or for family names (that is, last names inherited from parents)?

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack and names
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:40:57 pm »

I mean I can make one myself if there's not.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:33 pm »

I was just contemplating how to mess with the name generation in the game.  It seems it is just hard-coded to grab a random word from the entity language for first names and then it picks two for a surname.  I wish it had a separate 'names' entity raw sub-divided by caste.

How would you propose to implement something via DFhack?  Check units for default names and assign them a new name?

I've used the DFhack gui/rename to rename people in adventure mode.  In fortress mode I've just used nicknames.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:23:40 pm »

I was thinking if there's a way to check sex or caste, and then add -a to the end of the name if female, and -us or -o if male, possibly also removing the opposite-sex suffix if the base word ends in one.

Not great with DFHack though so not sure how practical or possible that would be.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 02:20:01 am »

Names are mostly just numbers internally, except for first names. They correspond to words in languages, which don't really support adding arbitrary suffixes.

The "names" script should pull up the vanilla renaming dialog if you'd like to take a look at that.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:05:15 am »

You could arbitrarily separate all current possible words into 'sounds male'/'sounds female'(/'doesn't sound like either'/'actually, would be Ok for both'?) and autoswap anything 'wrong' so that/until it is 'right', without changing the basic formulae of choices. If it matters so much to you.

The same could be done for clothing (gender-wrong? Discard that dress/those trousers and try again!) or even immigrant skills (swap out hunter-tendencies for plant-gathering ones, or vice-versa?).

Feel free. You have that freedom, even if your dwarves do not.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:21:12 pm »

My interest in altering first names is that there seems to be a limited name pool.  In my fortress I have three dwarves named Mosus, two named Domat, four named Uvash, four named Cog, etc.  While it might be 'realistic' in a sense, it makes it difficult to interpret announcements without a little detective work.

The solution right now is to give all the dwarves nicknames, but I'd like some more variation in names for adventure mode as well.

Honestly it is probably not worth pursuing, as so much of it is hard-coded.