Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using AI to Generate DF graphics  (Read 1973 times)

alan8325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using AI to Generate DF graphics
« on: December 04, 2018, 12:17:13 am »

This video on using AI to procedurally generate game content is all really interesting but the part that seems especially DF relevant is at 22:10 where he talks about using adversarial neural networks to generate images from text. Imagine forgotten beasts graphically generated from the DF descriptions, perhaps using some horror-themed images as training examples!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgLxSLsYWQ

Research paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.03242
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:29:55 am by alan8325 »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using AI to Generate DF graphics
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:50:29 pm »

Was kinda expecting to see an AI generate graphics for DF when I clicked on this thread, but yes, neural networks are neat. :P

alan8325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 12:15:26 am »

Was kinda expecting to see an AI generate graphics for DF when I clicked on this thread, but yes, neural networks are neat. :P

I posted this thread hoping it would inspire someone to make a utility that does that.  :P

It's tech like this that really reinforces Toady's approach of not spending time on graphics. Future games might be developed more like DF where devs use their limited time and resources to design deep gameplay and have things like 3d models and graphics generated procedurally.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:08:59 am »

Imagine forgotten beasts graphically generated from the DF descriptions, perhaps using some horror-themed images as training examples!
I hate to be a downer, but this strikes me as equivalent to using an atom bomb to clear rubble from a path. We're talking about what? 16X16 sprites? You'd have an easier time just spriting all the appropriate body parts in their various forms and writing a DFHack plugin or script to put them together. Hardly a trivial task, but easier than reverse-engineering the human imagination, I should think.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:24:54 pm »

Yeah, but this way is cooler, and still doesn't leave atomic fallout

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 02:22:16 am »

The hard part is going to be acquiring a data-set.
We need at least 1000 description / artwork pairs to get good results. (The more the better)

There is artwork depicting forgotten beasts scattered all over this forum and elsewhere.

Kruggsmash is notable for having drawn a ton of them you may know of others.

Search for artwork that was made for something other than dwarf fortress but nonetheless matches a description.

Creating artwork from scratch is also an option.

Once we have a quality data-set we can start building a masterwork experimental visualizer.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:29:39 am by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----