Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Politics - Dwarf Parties  (Read 3124 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forum Politics - Dwarf Parties
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »

I see people often branch into three group:

Group 1:
Those that want elves dead. Like the vanilla graphics. Like the clunky AI. Are sometimes snobby about the idea of how !FUN! they make the game for them self.

Group 2:

Those that see elves as a previously under developed group, and having been developed further, should be treated more fairly. Like to use several mods for more convenient gamplay. Think the abstraction of !FUN! more as a lack of existing features.

Group 3:

People who keep fix bugs and make mods.

If you had a name for these three groups, what would they be? Which group do you think you are most likely associated with, and what other groups have you noticed?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Politics - Dwarf Parties
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »

I think I would call them Whitebeards, Nobeards and Techbeards respectively. I think I would be a mix of 1 and 3.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:20:44 pm »

|
Radical
Moderate
Fundamentalist

|

Elves
|
|
Elves are no worse
 than humans
Elves are as
 bad as goblins
Elves are worse
 than goblins

|

Tileset
|
|
Tilesets, visualizers,
 and lighting engines
Tile sets are
 preferred
Vanilla Only

|

Mods/Hacks
|
|
Total conversion
 modpacks
Lazy Newb Pack
No Mods

|

!!FUN!!
|
|
It is terrifying!
It is sad,
but not unexpected.
It was inevitable.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:35:43 pm »

I think I would call them Whitebeards, Nobeards and Techbeards respectively. I think I would be a mix of 1 and 3.

I like these names.

I'm mostly a Whitebeard by this definition, but with a shorter beard that makes me a bit of a Nobeard.  I don't hate elves, but I do like vanilla graphics and playing the game without convenience tools like Dwarf Therapist.  I also like playing the game with species mods, but also kind of miss the harder days of more consistent sieges.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 05:00:40 pm »

Group 3: What's a fix bug and how does one keep it?
Fixes bugs? Keeps bugs (in one's white beard?!).

From sketchesofpayne diagram, I guess:
- Mod elves to achieve their true potential
- Ascii-like tilesets with nicer colours than vanilla
- Custom-build worlds - more Fun, more variety, no newb packs or UI enhancements.
- !!FUN!! is inevitable

Dabbling Techbeard?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 05:16:47 pm »

Fairly close to a Nobeard, I'd say, albeit still with a bit of "stubble" so to speak. I think the buggy nature of DF is fun to an extent but it does wear thin after a while, and I look forward to the addition of more immersive and polished features in the future. I also have a fairly Whitebeard approach to graphics. I like the vanilla tileset, and find most non-ASCII graphics packs to look a bit clunky and awkward (no offence intended to those who use or create them, just my personal preference).

As for the elves, I try to maintain friendly relations with them for the most part in fortress mode, though I'll still occasionally attempt to incite a war with an elven civ if I'm really bored and there are no goblins or humans nearby.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:02:19 pm »

Is there a category for people who don't want to be put into categories?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:51 pm »

According to sketchesofpayne I'm a radical fundamentalist....  That's not good... :-)

Text only, no mods, elves are OK, !!FUN!! is terrifying.  Now wait a minute... that's got to be as hippie as you can get in DF.  I even build above ground forts, embark without food (so I can get everything from herbalism and growing), buy coal so I can forge without burning trees... I'm thinking there is a nomenclature issue here... 

(Yeah, I'm a monster...)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:47 pm »

I think our Dwarfen Parties are procedurally generated.

Elves are as good as humans (better when they bring interesting animals, worse if they don't).  Non-vanilla ascii tilesets.  Dfhack, Therapist and custom worldgen's but no 'real' mods. Can take or leave !FUN! - the possibility makes it interesting.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »

Hah! I like the names, but I feel like the Nobeard name inherently sound bad...or is that because I am a white beard, and my perceptions with the beard is making me think that way?....!

Also, that graph is super cool. Easy beardentification!

Shonai, I mean a person that can fix the bug, I would say you are more than dabbling techbeard!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:10:46 am »

No mention of Kobold-sympathizers? A grievous oversight, by Jreengus!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:23:27 am »

Is there a category for people who don't want to be put into categories?
Yeah can I join that category too?

Like, there is already enough judgyness in the world, and typically DF players tend to be categorised by how they approach the game (narration/simulation/game) already, so why make another one, and why does it need to rely on ascii and a buggy race of treedwellers?

Like, by your description, I am a fundamentalist, but the real reason I don't use mods is because I am too lazy to install them(also, choice paralysis). And as long as people aren't using it as a way to be assholes to one another, I don't give a crap about how others play the game.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 10:33:36 am »

The post is ask you to categorize, and to best identify a category you would be a part of if you had to.

If you don’t want category that’s fine, but i don’t think that it  makes sense in this context

Make a new category for categoryless people! You’re very close, just give it name...

Hipsterbeard!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 10:50:18 am »

Elves: Moderate with Fundamentalist leanings. If the elves give me interesting animals, I'll show temporary mercy to them. If they keep trying to sell me giant mosquitoes, however, they'll get slaughtered!
Tileset: Moderate/ASCII tileset guy. I can read ASCII, but only if it's sizeable enough.
Mods/Utilities: Moderate yet again! I kinda stopped using DT after spending some time with the autolabor plugin, but I'll still keep using DFHack.
!!FUN!!: Moderate. It's sad, but not unexpected.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »

Elves: (Moderate) As bad/good as goblins. They don't bring usable metal, but they do take xclothesx.
Tileset: (Moderate) I enjoy tilesets to identify creatures at a glance, but vanilla is fine too.
Mods/Hacks: (Moderate) DFHack contains useful "quality of life" features. It can help stave off FPS death.
!!FUN!!: (Radical) I savescum when I lose my skilled dwarves, and also when I botch my fort design.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:17:50 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2