Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark underground  (Read 2194 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark underground
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:27:40 am »

Does anyone know if i can make a mountainhall type of embark somehow? so, essentially embarking via tunnels or caverns? what about reclaiming a mountain hall, does that make you start underground?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Embark underground
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:05:47 am »

Reclaiming a fortress will give you access to the underground, assuming it did have access* to it,  but you'll still start the game with your dwarves and wagon outside. I don't think there is a way to start underground, in say a cavern, yet.

*I think all dwarven NPC fortresses are mostly underground.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:40:23 am »

Does anyone know if i can make a mountainhall type of embark somehow? so, essentially embarking via tunnels or caverns? what about reclaiming a mountain hall, does that make you start underground?

I don’t believe it’s possible currently, although underground embarks through the caverns are in toady’s plans for the future
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:17 am »

hm, I see, thank you. The idea was that dwarven mountain halls, iirc, are only accessible by tunnel, and therefore, i was hoping that reclaiming one might let you start underground.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »

Is it at all possible to reclaim a mountain hall? I think only fortresses are allowed. I never had a mountain hall available for reclaim.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »

You can put an embark on a cave and have instant access to the underground.  Just deconstruct the wagon and haul all your stuff down to the cavern level before doing any mining/building whatsoever.  The cave system to the overworld can then become your dwarves' "back door" to the fortress - used by migrants and other types who filter down from that wild place.  Being the Mountainhome, you'll eventually need to dig/excavate a suitable place from which trade caravans can embark, but unlike most Fortresses, the trade caravan should be the last thing you build before retiring the site.  The King/Queen and all of His/Her court would need their rooms, as well as a suitable warren for your peoples.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 01:53:39 pm »

A lot of these pictures have faded, but the save still works; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50916.0  This is the gold standard for a Cavern Fortress.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:03:41 pm »

While these are all very interesting options, I was really looking for no access to the overworld at all.

Also, i dont understand what you are tryin to say Bob. I need to carve out a place were my caravans can embark? i thought i would need one where they can enter the map from?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 02:38:18 pm »

The only way to block access to the surface is by doing so yourself.

Bay3rz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »

interesting options. will take note of those too

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 06:45:13 am »

Your embark always starts at surface. When reclaiming mountainhall, the entrance to underground is in form of surface bunker. Hard to miss, as your wagon will be near the entrance.

Living underground will cause cave adaptation, which has serious impact on your military dwarves and hunters. I would strongly advise against underground dwelling, until cave adaptation is fixed in DF or we are given some tools for underground management preventing such cave adaptation.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:53:01 am »

Thx for the info :)

... Cave adaption doesn't need fixing though. there dwarves. there not supposed to be above ground. If it impairs your military, thats because you are fighting the enemy on there conditions! Let them come into your enterence hall/slaughter chamber. and if you need to raid or hunt, use the caverns! no need for any dwarf to ever see the sunlight!

now, if youll excuse me, i have an above ground camp to run ;)