Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helping prevent rain stress?  (Read 5123 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Helping prevent rain stress?
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:08:56 am »

I decided to try building an above ground fort and trying to deal with rain has been a nightmare. Almost a quarter of my fort is unhappy, largely due to being outside. All of the buildings do have roofs, but they spend a ton of time moving between them, constantly complaining about the rain. Is there an easy way to avoid rain stress? 

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Helping prevent rain stress?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:54:43 am »

I haven't played an above ground fort in months so I'm not sure how well this can work. Personally I would establish (through traffic designation) specific routes between each building and then build roofs above them connected on each building and/or supports. The idea is to create something like this.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:17 am »

I haven't tried building an above ground fort since the latest stress changes, so it's good to know that rain is a potentially serious issue.

Ulfarr's suggestion is probably the only generally applicable solution.  You can build roofs over designated walking paths between buildings, and then designate those paths as high traffic zones.  That should encourage dwarves to walk under the covered paths and get rained on less.  Of course, they'll still wander off to do unrelated things on occasion, but it should help.

Otherwise, providing counter stress is probably the only other thing you can do, which isn't nearly as simple as it used to be.  Since I haven't played since the last changes to stress, I'm not sure what can be done here anymore.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »

There is no reliable way to counter it or manage it without putting a big damn roof over the whole fort, so I disable the weather in d_init.txt. Then only enable it back on if I need to clean the surface from blood, in which case I just burrow the dwarves inside.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:30:19 pm »

I decided to try building an above ground fort and trying to deal with rain has been a nightmare. Almost a quarter of my fort is unhappy, largely due to being outside. All of the buildings do have roofs, but they spend a ton of time moving between them, constantly complaining about the rain. Is there an easy way to avoid rain stress?

Yes? It sounds like "outdoors" is working correctly, in that it is terrible and nobody should ever be there.

So I guess the question is why did you want to build an outdoor fort if not to deal with weather? Maybe understanding that would help us answer the question.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:10:45 pm »

The solution I found for above ground forts is embarking in a desert or tundra. It rains very rarely, and for some reason dwarfs dont mind snow.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:09:33 pm »

If you are looking for a short-term solution, there is that DFHack script to remove current stress from dwarfs. That will give you time to finish roofing and prevent a series of tantrum-killings. Then give them a lot of time off so they can enjoy the tavern.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:58 pm »

I feel you man. Since I am above-ground fort builder myself, I just avoid playing until villains update is finally released with some stress fixes.
But you could try to add [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:30:90] to dwarves, and see if it works.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 08:50:08 pm »

Yes? It sounds like "outdoors" is working correctly, in that it is terrible and nobody should ever be there.

So I guess the question is why did you want to build an outdoor fort if not to deal with weather? Maybe understanding that would help us answer the question.

I just wanted to try something different instead of the same kind of underground fort over and over again, expecting stuff like construction and defense to be the hard part but no it's just nonstop rain/snow (and also occasional packs of giant flies causing mass vengeance) giving my dwarves issues.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:01 pm »

I've had my dorfs work under the rain usually, and they do fine in 44.12
It's just a factor you have to work with ; their mood will degrade gradually and you have to compensate. Cue individual rooms with masterwork decorated doors and furnitures, taverns with a variety of alcohols, temples, keeping families in close proximity, if you feel adventurous, mist generator etc.

Edit : Oh and : justice system. Use it, abuse it. That usually give good thoughts to everyone. Give a break to your military every once in a while. Sometimes dorfs are really not cooperating, and you can expel, but with careful management it happens rarely

It's not impossible to do, and keeping dorfs happy outside is an interesting challenge.

Also : outside means no miasma. Which is pretty neat
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:05:49 pm by Cathar »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »

Yeah, I had a lot of the same problems in my outdoor oat-farm 😊 glad to hear that it's apparently not un-manageable, but I still hope the next release eases up on stress a little. Off course, I probably won't have time to farm oats when villains are out....
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:31 am »

I had lots of problems with my half and half outside/inside fortress in a swamp.  But I built covered walkways with traffic restrictions and it solved the rain problem for me.  In the end I kind of liked how it worked out because I had to plan roads between things.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 08:29:12 am »

Also : outside means no miasma. Which is pretty neat

If you build roofs you will still have no miasma, because miasma doesn't depend on outside/inside but aboveground/subterranean. This way by roofing you prevent both miasma and rain, which is better than non-preventing them.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 11:47:17 pm »

I don't seem to have issues keeping my dwarves happy with rain falling on them. Perhaps you're not giving them nice enough bedrooms and other spaces?
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 05:12:35 am »

Is it more or less constant exposure to the outdoors? I seam to recall that when i had my oat farm going, Dwarves would change there personality just because of the rain. Off course, that fort had other problems as well...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste
Pages: [1] 2