Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We farmers now (Farm Sim thread)  (Read 1334 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We farmers now (Farm Sim thread)
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:06:11 pm »

For the purpose of this thread, "Farm Sim" refers to games wherein you farm, possibly using heavy machinery, and the various materials that you buy/sell may have variable prices. This discounts things like FarmVille and Farm Together - things always cost the same amount and things always sell for the same price, meaning there's rarely a reason to change what you plant.

I'm relatively new to playing the genre, though I've been aware of it for quite some time. I'm currently working my way through Farmer's Dynasty (think of it like a realistic Stardew Valley minus magic and combat - farm with big machinery, repair buildings, raise your social standing with the locals, and then get married) on PC and Farming Simulator 18 on mobile, though I also ran through the Farming Simulator 13 tutorials on PC this week. That last one is probably going to be shelved - it's so far out of date that I'm probably better off waiting until I "finish" Farmer's Dynasty and then jumping ship to FS19.

So, any other fans of the genre? Favorite games? Any must-have mods?

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We farmers now (Farm Sim thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »

Stardew valley is really the only farm sim I've played recently. I tried out Gold Rush (sim-related?), as I do a bit of gold mining in RL as a hobby. It was alright, but there was no prospecting which is one of the more fun things to do in gold mining. I'm kinda looking for something new to play. Farmer's Dynasty looks interesting, but the 3d models for the people are hideous and makes me feel like getting together and breeding with any of them isnt doing anyone a favor lol. How are you liking it so far?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:28:28 pm »

I haven't done much - after about an hour of play, I've fully repaired my farmstead and the tutorial guy's roof.

It seemingly takes a bit before the actual farming starts. The tutorial guy gives you a shitty tractor for fixing his roof. There's a harvesting attachment for it on your farm already, though I haven't found it. You then have to do quests for a few of the locals to get your planter, tiller, and whatever else you need to start out.

I do a bit of gold mining in RL as a hobby.

I don't think this surprises me. Weren't you our level 90 miner in one of the recent Wurm attempts?

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:04:42 pm »

Yah that was me on Wurm, good times. Its too bad the unlimited servers aren't reliable, and the Wurm Online subscription is too pricey. Otherwise its a great game to play if you've got some buddies to do it with.  Might give farmer's dynasty a go.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »

I remember (vaguely) playing the DOS version of Sim Farm. It seemed to be more focused on the sim aspect than the driving machinery aspect, except for the crop duster. From what I've seen the 'new' farm sims coming out are more focused on using the machinery as opposed to the economic simulation...?

Also, obligatory.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:52:21 pm »

From what I've seen the 'new' farm sims coming out are more focused on using the machinery as opposed to the economic simulation...?

Depends on the game, I'm guessing. I know the Farming Simulator games have some level of price variation. Whether it's just random fluctuations or a simulated economy, I'm not sure.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »

Is it even possible to land the sim farm crop duster?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:13:37 pm »

I never really got into SimFarm, but allegedly, if you hit End while over the airport, you land.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:58:30 pm »

I never really got into SimFarm, but allegedly, if you hit End while over the airport, you land.

I can confirm this. Altitude is irrelevant, which is counterintuitive, but you must be over the airport, otherwise you crash instantly.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:03 am »

Last night reminded me that your toon in Farmer's Dynasty needs to eat and sleep. I'm down to 86 euros to my name after having a thousand liters of gas delivered so food money is a bit tight but I'm finally able to do the whole farming thing now that I scavenged the countryside for handouts and came away with a rusty harvester and "vintage" grain trailer. My diet of canned milk and canned tomato soup (not cooked; just open the can while harrowing your field and chow down) probably isn't healthy.

I may be doing something wrong. Repairs seem to be free when I fix stuff but people on the Steam discussion page are talking about planks and sheets of metal and the wiki says you can buy both at a store somewhere on the map. Just a bit of EA shenanigans, possibly.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:00:44 am by Mephisto »