Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization Never Declares War  (Read 1173 times)

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilization Never Declares War
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:40:54 pm »

Trying to create a mod that adds the Holistic Spawn from Syrupleaf. They are supposed to be a warlike race, but they never seem to declare war on anybody. They also lose every single war they are involved in. How can I fix this?

Here are the entity raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I hate my username.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Never Declares War
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »

They don't seem to have pets, armor, or weapons. I'm not familiar with these creatures, but that's probably a major contributing factor to why they always lose.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:20 pm »

Well this make them more warlike as well?
I hate my username.

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:48:29 pm »

Gave them armor, pets, and weapons, but they still lose every war.
I hate my username.

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »

Gave them armor, pets, and weapons, but they still lose every war.

I'm not familiar with these things either, but could it just be that they aren't strong enough to win?
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:57 pm »

Maybe try taking out [ITEM_THIEF]? That might prevent them from declaring full-scale wars and limit them to stealing, like vanilla kobolds. I don't know for sure, though.

How big are the creatures? Size is the number one thing that determines success in world-gen battles, as far as I can tell.

Also, they seem not to have any professions? I know at least Furnace Operators are needed to give a civ access to metals, so perhaps they're unable to produce any weapons/armor. I don't know if that would cause them to lose more often.

How are the civs doing otherwise? Do they have enough population to win wars? If they need to eat they'll need a source of food (farming, livestock), which they don't seem to have right now. Are all your positions showing up as intended?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:55 pm »

They are definitely strong enough. They have higher strength and combat values than most other cratures.

Also, the holistic spawn are from a succession fort called Syrupleaf. I think they also appeared in spearbreakers at one point.
I hate my username.

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:21:04 pm »

The creatures are about 80000 cm2.

They often have very large populations, sometimes making up half the world.

They have [NO_EAT], so food is a minor issue.

They never start wars. But war often gets declared on them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:23:14 pm by CorkNite »
I hate my username.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:40:03 pm »

[ITEM_THIEF] won't prevent wars.
I have a warlike civ of Item_Thieves who happily go to war with anyone they feel like (including other Item_Thief civs fairly often).

Verdant_Squire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »

Not certain what it could specifically be. I would recommend checking out and experimenting with weird edge stuff that may not immediately seem relevant - something could be having some form of butterfly effect. I'd also recommend investigating legends [stuff like specific battles/duels, or rulership maybe?] in deeper detail, possibly with the assistance of 3rd party applications - it will provide more insight as to what the issue is, or at the very least, what is not the issue.

Quick Edit: Another way to dissect what the issue is, if you're really out of ideas, is to copy over the raws from another civilization, change one value about their civ your civ, and see if that changes their behavior. For example, try copying the goblin civ, but replace goblins with your creature - that should at least tell you if the problem is creature related, or entity related.

Quick Edit 2: Oh! One more thing. What personality types are the creatures weighted towards? The personality of the rule does effect the attitude of the civilization, so at least part of the issue may be that you're getting pacifist or cowardly monarchs/generals.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:46:19 pm by Verdant_Squire »