Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums: Laguz Test Game IC  (Read 56701 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem on Forums: Laguz Test Game IC
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:11 pm »

~Fire Emblem on Forums: Laguz Test Game

OoC thread here!

The interior of the cave was dry, and surprisingly well lit, owing to a shaft in the ceiling of the room that must have extended to the surface. The light of the sun shone down upon King Himos. He was a large man, but not so large as Grae Steelhart, leader of the Steelhart mercenary band, had expected him to be. Himos, King of Sampia and Lord of the Cats, sat upon a throne lashed together from logs and bone with strips of leather. He seemed older than Grae had pictured him, perhaps, and wearier. Though it seemed to him that for the King of Sampia to call on the aid of a human mercenary band, he must be under great stress indeed. Grae himself was lit only by the crude torches carried by the guards who had led himself and his six subordinates into the King's hall beneath the mountain. Grae drew back his hood, revealing himself to the King. His bad eye caught the light of the fire as he smiled slightly.

"Your Majesty. I am Grae Steelhart, here at your request. What do you wish of my men and myself?"

~Earlier That Day~

Grae adjusted his cloak and hood as the group trudged along the Sampian road. Even calling it that was ridiculous, of course- The people of Sampia had no use for carts, and so any 'roads' were simply areas where vegetation had been stamped out, mostly, in something that could be described as a line. Regardless, this route led his band toward the hold of their next employer. King Himos, Lord of the Cats. It had been some time since his service was called for from someone from such a position of authority, and some of his officers had assured him that the King was asking in good faith. Still... When he'd received the request at one of the guildhouses he owned in Northwest Geumho, he had been surprised.

"The Great and Powerful King Himos, Lord of the Cats and Sovereign Ruler of Sampia, requests your immediate service as mercenaries, Commander Grae Steelhart. Bring six of your finest men to accompany you for a task of great importance." Relayed by a young Laguz man who had seemed out of breath from the moment he arrived until he took his leave, running out the door the way he had come.

Well, six of his finest, at such short notice? Impossible. But six quite competent men and women- mostly women, to be honest- that he trusted? Doable. And so Grae had selected those at both the near guildhouse and a few stationed in southern Morcia to accompany him into the heart of Sampia. Then had they begun the long trek to see the king. Two miserable weeks of traveling through barely tamed mountains and forests. It was mid-spring now, and though it was warm enough to travel, short bursts of rain and sleet made the journey unpleasant. Only twice had the group been stopped by packs of Laguz warriors, though with their purpose explained they were eventually let through both times, and only seldom were the group met with locals, who never seemed particularly inclined to speak to the band.

Another round of light rain began, gradually soaking into his cloak.

Alys, Claire, Iris, Milos, Sheyra, and Vanessa are in!

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums: Laguz Test Game IC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:17 pm »

When you were afraid of something, there were only two things you could really do. You could forever live your life in fear of that thing, allowing it to control you, make you weaker, all for the hopes that someone else will protect you. That was not a path Milos wanted to go down; he had the protection of his loving parents for so long, but he knew that if he wanted to make his way in this world, he was going to have to go down the other path. The other thing you could do when you were afraid is to fight it; even if you were kicking and screaming by the end of it, every battle won was another day you could say that you conquered your fear. Every day of that would allow you to eventually overcome your fear and be the one triumphant.

That was Milos' goal on this mission. It had taken him a lot of persuasion towards Grae to allow him to go on this mission; he promised to do everything he could to keep morale up while also doing well on the battlefield. Thankfully, in the end he was prevailing... though it might have just been a brash act of impulse that made him go on this mission. To be honest, it was not easy; travelling was hard, and they had a few encounters with the dreaded beasts he feared so much... why was he so afraid of them? Was it the teeth? The claws? The snarling? The vicious demeanor? Milos wished he knew... but he had shown improvement, at least, he'd like to believe. Not once had he complained throughout the whole journey no matter how rough it got, even if he was completely quiet for most of it.

"..."

A slight shiver took hold of Milos as more rain came in, but the rain was almost laughable in Milos' eyes. He could get through this... just a little cold and wet rain was not going to stop him from overcoming his fears. Even if he was going into it... kind of in an unorthodox manner, going into an entire country filled with the things he was afraid of. But maybe he would learn there was more to the beasts that plagued his fears. Maybe they would all turn out to be overall, not so bad. Maybe they'd want to help him get over his fears.

...Maybe.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:04:17 pm »

Claire drew her robes tighter around herself, careful not to catch them on the undergrowth as she moved.

"Ah... it's raining again..."

The words came out quietly, stating the obvious to herself more than anyone else. Two weeks of this so far. Of this weather on and off, of this wilderness, of sleeping on the road without any comforts. But it was not the worst she had ever experienced, not even close. And it was enough time and distance to forget her worries about this job, at least for a while.

"... Is everyone doing okay?"

She wasn't in high spirits, but she was more than okay, because she was with them.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:49 am »

Vanessa frowned up at the sky, as if her displeasure could make the rain stop. She shivered as she tried her best to ignore the downpour that had been harassing them for most of the journey. It wasn't that she hadn't experienced this before, it never got any better though no matter how many times you went through it. However as she turned to face the of her companions she smiled, this was still better than travelling alone. As Claire spoke her eyes went to her,

“Glad that we'll get there soon, I can't wait to see what the king is like.”
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:57:35 am »

Alys had expected the trip to be somewhat miserable - She hadn't really done much traveling since she was assigned to a group of misfits to keep alive, and the weather there was somewhat stable. This, however, was miserable. The walking was murder on her legs, and the on-again off-again rain/mist was driving her insane - Either rain or don't! She barely got all dried off by the time the next rain started, so she was just perpetually damp. But the people she was with were nice - Imagine being the only one to go with Steelheart and still getting stopped by those beast-men! She shivered both with fear of that situation and "Dammit it's cold."
"Eh, I could be better... But it's true, we'll be there soon, so... Oh, does anyone have any ideas why we're on this? Besides Steelheart telling us to."
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:02 pm »

"No idea. Just that the job is coming straight from the King. He called for a small team, so I imagine whatever he needs from us is likely to be covert, or at least deniable action." The rain dripped down Grae's hood as the group strode on down the road, their boots and shoes leaving prints in the damp earth behind them. "Whatever the job is, we should be able to expect a good payout. Laguz or no, Kings have money."

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »

"I can't say I'm a fan of this job yet myself. Hopefully this path we're taking isn't indicative as to how well put together the place we're going to is."

Sheyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:16 pm »

Clover would walk along the muddy road with the rest of her companions. Well, calling it a road was a bit much... it reminded her of following deer trails on the outskirts of the old Travies estate back when she was a child. It was certainly quite different from the city life she'd grown used to during her teenage years, but... well, if she had a choice between cobbled roads and this sorry excuse for a 'road', she'd take cobble any day of the week.

And while Clover was rather partial to rainy days, this dreary slog through vegetation was made all the worse with mud, which they had plenty of thanks to the poor weather. The chilly air coming off the mountains didn't help either. Still, she could deal with it. It wasn't snow, right?

"Well, hopefully this meeting goes better than the last time I got a chance to see royalty. Though I can't imagine it could go worse."

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:33 am »

Hearing everyone talk to each other was a strange case for Milos; he was familiar with everyone and felt safe talking to them, but... it was hard to utter words. He wasn't sure how much everyone inferred from him of his fears; he gave quiet yelps of surprise whenever a Laguz jumped out at them, and remained rigid and silent throughout all of Grae's persuasions. Other than that, however, he managed to keep himself... relatively calm. However, the tension radiating off of Milos was not easy to cover, and Milos did not want people worrying about him. People worrying about him would just make him feel worse about coming... and potentially ruin the point of coming in the first place.

Trying to find the words to speak, whether to respond to Claire's question of if everyone was doing okay, Grae's talk about the mission briefing, or even asking about Clover's last encounter with royalty...

"......"

...Unfortunately, words couldn't come to Milos. Hoping their silence would be masked by the sounds of the rain, and their nervous face would be masked by walking alongside everyone else and keeping his posture otherwise steady, he pressed onward without a peep.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 02:42:55 am »

Milos' silence had not gone unnoticed, but Claire's only response was a small smile in his direction. She wasn't the kind to press others for words, especially when it didn't seem likely to help.

"They probably have different standards than us," she said. "But it's still a job, and money is money... We could supply more mercenaries, buy more tomes..."

Or more ambitious things, but she was just saying what came to mind. Money was great for necessities - food, shelter, and even her tomes were necessities in their line of work - but ultimately she had never really been in this just for the money. She didn't allow herself to think about it too much more; this trek had an in-between feeling to her, especially this close to their destination. Not quite working yet, but also not on break. Steelhart was still Steelhart, and not Grae.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:35 am »

Vanessa looked towards Clover, curiosity plain on her face and everything about the weather forgotten,
"Oooh, you've met royalty before? What happened?"

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 02:15:22 pm »

Claire's smile did not go unnoticed either despite Milos' slightly hung head. The sight of her smile made him perk up a little, and though his silence still remained, he looked a little calmer and happier despite the rain.

"..."

Internally, he was also extremely grateful she didn't speak up and draw too much attention to him while still letting him know she cared. He still didn't speak, but thankfully his conscience was clearer, and hopefully if he had something to say in response to perhaps Clover or someone else, he would be able to say it.

Sheyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 11:26:40 am »

Clover would give Vanessa a little half-smile as she shrugged slightly.

"I wouldn't really say I met royalty. Just happened to see them while I was, uh, conducting some business in the royal palace. As it turns out, some fellows there didn't take too kindly to my 'business' and ended up making a big mess of the place. Quite rude, really."

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 01:51:52 pm »

Alys smiled a little easier at Grae's statement.
"Well, covert means little fighting, and a high pay is good..." she said to no one in particular. She just hoped that there really would be little fighting, although something in her gut told her it was unavoidable...
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 07:41:49 pm »

Vanessa let out a deep sigh,
"That happened to me a couple of times as well, people just don't appreciate us." she paused "Well not with royalty in my case. Hopefully this king gives us better reception anyway."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87