Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal ethology  (Read 570 times)

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What a sweet little kitty
    • View Profile
Animal ethology
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »

I searched the forum for entries similar this, but could not find them, so here a short list of what i mean:

- Give some (tamed) animals a territorial tag of some sort, to let them form packs(max sized, as example 4-10 for dogs), if they are to close to an other pack they will (from time to time) attack each other. Perhaps also animal hierarchy, including less dangerous figths? (alpha male/female)

- Thieving (tamed) animals, that randomly haul (small/compared to body size maybe) things around your fortress, if they get access to your stockpile, perhaps for all young animals and some also at adult age (i just think of ferrets in real life).

- Specific interactions, for example dogs just take bones or (corpse) body parts and proudly show everyone in the fortress what they got, could be interesting, if they take a leg/arm from a corpse and thus changing all dwarf's mood. Or herbivores eat cloth and cloth based products if they get access to it. Fur balls for cats?

- Train some animals to be a thief (monkeys or ravens for example) and send them off to the nearest village.

English is my second language, so please forgive me. lol
I'm interested in what the forum (you) may think of this ideas?
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:48:02 am by htamos »
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by carp.
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by sponge.
Urist stopped building bridge: went insane.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal chaos factors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 04:14:26 pm »

There's already a thread, Animals and Monsters eating up dead things and remains on the map, about a more fleshed predation but pack ethology might be something to work on.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What a sweet little kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Animal ethology
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:38 am »

Just changed the subject to "Animal ethology", because it fits way better, that's the word i searched for actually. :)
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by carp.
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by sponge.
Urist stopped building bridge: went insane.