Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Things that made you facepalm today  (Read 3445 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Things that made you facepalm today
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:20:03 pm »

What have you done recently that made you connect your face rapidly with your hand and/or desk or other nearby convenient object?

Facepalm moments directly related with Dwarf Fortress should be directed here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:09:18 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you facepalm today
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:42:20 pm »

I keep posting non DF facepalms in the DF facepalm thread, and then people get all fussy at me.

Also, I forgot my lunch today. It was pizza.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:30:56 am »

I had to clean a whole bunch of shelves today (utterly pointless waste of time, most of said shelves were above customers' eye level and thus never in need of cleaning at all) and at one point shifted a couple of half-body mannequins so that I could clean where they'd been sitting.

I entirely forgot to move them back, and later realised that they were still up there in their slightly altered positions, quite close and appearing to be pressing salaciously against one another. Whoops. Naturally I entirely ignored this and did nothing to remedy the situation, since I couldn't be arsed dragging the ladder out and climbing back up there.
I'm not back in 'til Monday so it is officially somebody else's problem. *shrug*   

Does that count?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 01:52:56 pm »

1) Put child in car
2) Drive to babysitter's place
3) Go to work
4) Realize I forgot step 2
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 02:39:16 pm »

1) Put child in car
2) Drive to babysitter's place
3) Go to work
4) Realize I forgot step 2
5) Introduce child to new babysitter, the break room.

Nah, I know it's dumb. My facepalm for this week consists of

1)Think I need to call bank
2)Take final
3)Forget to call bank
4)Do everything else
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:24:02 am »

Decided to clean up a bunch of junk in my user directory on my Linux development VM at work.  Deleting files using rm on the command line can be time consuming, so I tried to delete a bunch of similarly named ones using *.  It was inevitable that I'd eventually wipe the directory doing that, and sure enough, poof, there go all of the scripts I've written over the last few years to automate reporting tasks for people.

Dag nabbit daggit naggit.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:27:16 am »

Stop.

Power down the vm.

Create a new vm, boot it from a linux rescue cd, and attach the vhd/img/whatever for your linux vm as the disk image.  Install extundelete or something similar.  (rescue CD will use a ramdisk, so this is safe.) 

Undelete your files someplace safe. (Network share or something.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:51:10 am »

I don't have direct control over the VMs, but thanks, I'll ask the sysadmin about it.

In the worst case, I found I had copies of some of the scripts on my local machine where the FTP client downloaded them, so I'm not completely screwed even if the files are unrecoverable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »

Was made aware of two things today.

1) Copies of Kingdom Hearts 3 have been leaked, like actual non-review copies. Ruh roh.

2) Elder Scrolls 6 is using the same engine as Skyrim. No word on whether they are heavily revamping it, but if they are why not just build a new engine that isn't going to be nearly a decade old when the game is released? If this turns out to be ES6: Basically a mod for Skyrim, Imma flip me lil' wig.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:55:01 pm »

From my understanding, Bethesda has been tacking things onto the same engine ever since at least Oblivion.  Clearly that would have required internal changes and updates during that period, but they're still apparently ignoring the ominous creaks and groans issued from the foundation as they pile ever more things on top.  I have no personal experience with it, but a friend told me of some of the hilariously backward ways they twisted the engine around to work for Fallout 4, where the radio stations were apparently some kind of badly repurposed "spell effects" that could cause the editor to crash if you set them up in something other than the most perfect way.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:10:17 pm »

I believe Skyrim's engine, the Creation Engine, was created for that game. If I'm not mistaken though they used the same engine for Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:03:23 am »

I believe Skyrim's engine, the Creation Engine, was created for that game. If I'm not mistaken though they used the same engine for Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.

This was all marketing lies. They lost the license to use the Gamebryo brand, but they still owned their engine, so they just called the updated version "the Creation Engine".

In truth Bethesda is still using the same basic engine as they did with Morrowind, not just Oblivion. Updated, sure, and with lots of new features built into it, definitely. But at the core it's the same engine. This is why you can still sometimes experience the exact same bugs you did nearly 20 years ago. Ah, the nostalgia!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:14:11 am »

They have a big investment in the NetImmerse tool chain and ecosystem, it seems.

Sure, they could license some other game engine, but their developers and artists are familiar with the NetImmerse/Gamebryo engine and its quirks. 

The biggest source of groaning, as concerns the engine (and the editor)-- is that PCs are now predominantly 64bits aware, and their engine is only 32bits for its memory space. (4gb max)  This causes problems. Big ones.  Especially with the rich open worlds they like to make.  Updating that old crusty thing to be 64bit aware is not something they are going to want to do.  I dont think Gamebryo has released a toolchain that is natively 64bit aware.

TrickleJest

• Bay Watcher
  • I write things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:03 am »

I know that perhaps people rag on Americans and their knowledge of European countries way too much, and it comes off as a bit hypocritical when said by someone like me, considering I'm not exactly a paragon of geographical memorization, but I was watching a video made by a certain creator (rather popular too, mind you), and it was honestly physically painful to endure him try to guess which country went where. And you know, to each his own, it's not a big deal in the first place and it's frankly none of my business, but the real kicker was when he announced that this was okay because non-Americans wouldn't be able to name five states. I mean, I'm not sure what bizarro world some people live in, but I'm fairly certain most of everyone could name you five states in the USA. I'm not sure why, but that really just made me actually facepalm.
Pages: [1] 2 3