Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Obsidian - The Outer Worlds  (Read 6165 times)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian - The Outer Worlds
« on: December 07, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »

Haven't seen a thread on this, so...

The Outer Worlds trailer was released today.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian - The Outer Worlds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:35:08 pm »

Yeah, it looks kinda cool!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:26 pm »

...that trailer was absolutely hilarious. PTW.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:32 pm »

Looks really amazing. And obsidian do amazing games for most part. They did really good with FONV. Though somehow wasn't aware they were the same people who did the old fallouts...is that true and I was in a cave without knowing? Cause if so dunno how I wouldn't have known that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:56:41 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18:02 pm »

Interplay made Fallout.  Black Isle Studios (subdivision of Interplay) made FO 2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and a few others.  Interplay laid off staff & sold various rights off.  A lot of the original developers went on to form Obsidian Entertainment, who did KotOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, New Vegas, and others.

With regards to FO 76, Bethesda lost me on it as soon as they announced the multiplayer aspect (at least how it is set up).  I would have been ok with a single player game, where you could opt to play with others.  But they set it up as a multiplayer game where you can opt to go play in your own corner, but others are still there.  So, eh.  I won't bash them for trying something new - it's no different than the hate that they originally got for going with the FPS style for FO3, compared to the 3rd person iso that FO 1 & 2 used.

As for the Outer Worlds, I haven't seen anything before today, and the video looks pretty amazing.  I'm not going to jump on the hype train for it, but it looks good so far, and I'll definitely be watching for more.

I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:32 pm »

Wow! Actual conversation systems! (With a non-voiced protagonist, for those of you who care)
I'm honestly fine with dialogue wheels and whatnot as used in Fallout 4 and Mass Effect and whatnot, but it'll be refreshing to see this kind of system again. And it has actual skillchecks. And it has "Dumb" dialogue options.

They've actually revealed a lot about this game already. The steam store page has a ton of info.
The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

And fiinnaally, gameplay.
About 15 minutes of it from GameInformer, albeit with annoying voice overs (in my opinion) from the GI guys.

Game looks fun. Character animations during dialogue look just as stilted as they did in Fallout New Vegas, which is eh. But I'm excited.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:08:20 am »

I'm gonna say here what I said in the other thread: Looks like Borderlands to me.

Hopefully with a more roleplayy feel
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:40:17 am »

I'm gonna say here what I said in the other thread: Looks like Borderlands to me.

Hopefully with a more roleplayy feel

MY STOMACH IS EMPTY AND MY HEAD IS FULL OF BACON!

I HAVE A HUGE HAND!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:06:43 am »

Interplay made Fallout.  Black Isle Studios (subdivision of Interplay) made FO 2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and a few others.  Interplay laid off staff & sold various rights off.  A lot of the original developers went on to form Obsidian Entertainment, who did KotOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, New Vegas, and others.

for more.
At the same time, alot of those developers left from Obsidian as well. So while Obsidian has the name most of it's high quality names have left it over the years. So I'm hesitant but curious to see how well they'll do.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 08:07:21 am »

Looks interesting and at the same time, kind of solidifies the assumption that there won't be good Fallout games coming in the near future. Betheseda isn't even trying to make plots or dialogue anymore and Obsidian isn't doing New Vegas -style game since they have this going on.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:54:21 pm »

I am actually hyped for this. Which, you know, can be dangerous to one's wallet. But still.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »

First time I am hyped for a game in maybe 3 or 4 years.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »

Did they have to make space look like a garbage dump? I mean, that was really my only problem with the Fallout series; spending the entire game sifting through filth. Now we get to spend all our time sifting through filth, in space! ugh...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:52 am »

Did they have to make space look like a garbage dump? I mean, that was really my only problem with the Fallout series; spending the entire game sifting through filth. Now we get to spend all our time sifting through filth, in space! ugh...

There are generally two schools of thought about scifi—Star Trek utopia and Star Wars dystopia, one is pristine, clean, energy efficient, outside of history. the other is knee deep in history—ruins, garbage, some thousands of years old, some impossibly technologically superior, etc.

It is an aesthetic decision, but I personally prefer the ruined kind—love Han Solos little lucky dice more than the sterility of Star Trek
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

"dystopia"
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4