Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forum Politics - Dwarf Parties  (Read 3125 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Politics - Dwarf Parties
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »

Elves:
I say a lot of bad, but I usually just watch suspiciously. But in legacy forts, I’ll often be the first to cause elf trouble.

Mods: mostly Vanilla, but used to love masterwork and adding ‘super powers’ scripts to adventure mode.

Tileset: Vanilla, except when other tile sets cause confusing when passed to me

!FUN!: I don’t like you if you seal off your fort

So I’d say mostly whitebeard, though often over compensating in groups.
A white beard whose beard is not too long, so he carries a very big hammer to make up.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:36 am »

The "Whitebeards" group stereotype was based on people playing versions of DF that did not have so many multiracial forts. Today, some of us use the standard ASCII tiles, no mods (or slight fixes, like Orthoclase and Microcline being usable for porcelain), and spam the "accept petition" button.

Also I do not use DFhack unless absolutely necessary.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 10:35:55 am »

The "Whitebeards" group stereotype was based on people playing versions of DF that did not have so many multiracial forts. Today, some of us use the standard ASCII tiles, no mods (or slight fixes, like Orthoclase and Microcline being usable for porcelain), and spam the "accept petition" button.

Also I do not use DFhack unless absolutely necessary.

Wait what’s this about multiracial fort?

If whitebeard was a term used for people who ran forts as dwarf supremecists then I’m not sure it’s a good name lol...Just elves is fine.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 11:42:49 am »

On the sketchesofpayne scale I'm an elven radical, tileset moderate (with a leaning to the fundamentalist, multilevel and TWBT are horrible), on mods I am a moderate that see good things in both the radical and fundamentalist position (since I mod myself but I strongly dislike total conversion), and on the !!fun!! scale... it is terrific!

I find flowerbeard better than nobeard btw.
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »

True Whitebeard here! I mean, they eat there enemies for crying out loud!

That of course doesn't mean that no elf can be good. Some can in fact be turned into weapons and used to defend the dwarves against their greatest enemy... ELVES!!!

As for mods: I can see the appeal, i just hate when people play with mods and then say "look what i did in dwarf fortress". its not TRUE DF if its with mods ;)

and tilesets... well, if you need them, you havn't played enough rougelikes, and if you WANT them, you dont like roguelikes enough.

is that whitebeard enough for you? :P
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 05:24:06 pm »

“ As for mods: I can see the appeal, i just hate when people play with mods and then say "look what i did in dwarf fortress". its not TRUE DF if its with mods ;)

Ohhh man I hate that too!

I have a few friends that whenever I tell them something cool I did, they start bumbling on about how much more efficient they design...with dwarf therapist and mega fast super dwarves

Jerks

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 05:56:26 pm »

“ As for mods: I can see the appeal, i just hate when people play with mods and then say "look what i did in dwarf fortress". its not TRUE DF if its with mods ;)

Ohhh man I hate that too!

I have a few friends that whenever I tell them something cool I did, they start bumbling on about how much more efficient they design...with dwarf therapist and mega fast super dwarves

Jerks
Well, that depends. I see basic modding (like adjusting siege triggers, giving elves archery skills, etc) as adjusting the advanced options menu Toady has made for us.

It's still Dwarf Fortress, just tweaked. But then, I see the game as more of a world simulator than a site-management game which many traditionally think of the game as being.

I mean, I'll mention I'm using mods if I report something really weird/cool but usually the weird/cool part is 100% Toady-Code.
Like the minotaur siege I barely survived when, according to Legends, they nominated a dog as their war leader. Minotaurs ran away when someone shot the dog. Victory for the two smashed up survivors of my previously thriving fortress.

What I don't like are people (who probably don't play the game) insisting that Dwarf Fortress is an unstable, unplayable mess unless you use a ton of 3rd party utils. That's annoying.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 08:36:56 pm »

I just don’t like when other people patronize designed fortress or something you experience, when really they couldn’t do 1/10th of the stuff they say given vanilla.

(Tell them about how your doctor is doing something silly)
Criticizer- “Why is that guy whose given personality is your doctor...I would never etc”
(Can only do because therapist)

(Early necromancer siege)
Criticizer- “You lost your fort in an early siege? Your fort should be done by now”
(Can only do because fast dwarves)

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:03 pm »

I just don’t like when other people patronize designed fortress or something you experience, when really they couldn’t do 1/10th of the stuff they say given vanilla.

(Tell them about how your doctor is doing something silly)
Criticizer- “Why is that guy whose given personality is your doctor...I would never etc”
(Can only do because therapist)

(Early necromancer siege)
Criticizer- “You lost your fort in an early siege? Your fort should be done by now”
(Can only do because fast dwarves)
DFhack fastdwarf is truly a cheat/hack (wouldn't call it a 'mod' for pedantic reasons).

Dwarf Therapist doesn't let you do anything you couldn't normally do, it just makes it so you don't have to spend an hour going through dwarf profiles making notes about them and deciphering their stats and skills from their description.  And I have done that in vanilla.  Once it took two hours to go through a twenty dwarf migrant wave.

I think the real issue is that your friends are one-upping jerks.  Sharing anecdotes is supposed to be for mutual interest and camaraderie.  It's not about bragging about "achievements" or showing off your "l33t dorf skillz."  Efficiency and competence are nice and all, but they aren't virtues to be slavishly pursued.  Interesting stories are born of conflict, i.e. when things go wrong.  No one wants to hear a story about a time when everything went perfectly and there were no problems and all challenges were defeated easily or bypassed.

Also, Dwarf Fortress is not a competitive game.  If someone is gloating about their accomplishments or 'skill' (rather than just sharing it as an interesting story) they are completely missing the point of the game.  This isn't Simcity or Farmville.  You don't get online dick-hat points for spending hours grinding out a really high fortress value.

On another note, the RAW files are there and mod-able because a core part of the game is personalizing your own experience.  As a single-player game it's not "cheating" to edit them, especially because their is no "winning" in the game.  Exploring what can be done with the game and trying to learn and break its internal systems is a game all on its own.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 05:25:06 pm »

Interrestingly enough, even though i previously stated that i am a true whitebeard, modding is actually quite fun. Havn't modded DF though, but i do think its a good way to get into programming. I just never use them afterwards ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 11:58:43 am »

Personally I love mods. Makes stuff like good biomes a lot more !!FUN!!. And I only use fastdwarf because my computer is shit and has terrible FPS and or could crash. And I only use it if I need to.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 [2]