Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anti-villains...heros? adventurers? other?  (Read 1107 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
anti-villains...heros? adventurers? other?
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:39:01 am »

8) So if the game will be generating villains by procedural generated mechanics, I wonder if there is any requirement and viability for anti-villains.

If there are people who scheme and design bad things to happen, is there any space for people who ... scheme and do good things? or counter villains is some way? would they uncover plots?

Would opposite of villain be 'hero' or adventurer? or a character with lots of power but is good and is motivated to do good things? I guess I'm thinking of sort of character that keeps world from falling apart.

The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
Re: anti-villains...heros? adventurers? other?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:33:42 am »

I think it mostly comes down to which side you support. If you have a bunch of people scheming against a ruler you consider a "bad guy" then the schemers in this case would be your good guys. Dwarf Fortress doesn't really have Good or Evil so the definition of Hero and Villain is largely one of perspective.

As for uncovering plots and the like, I think that would be the responsibility of whatever relevant authorities exist. Hearthsmen would be a good candidate for investigating plots against the local and civ government.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: anti-villains...heros? adventurers? other?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:37:54 pm »

Well, there are some obviously evil potential plotters, such as demons, necromancers, vampires and, to a lesser extent, bandits/criminals (judging by the Toady's presentation, criminal plots are reasonably less genocidal). Possibly, even night trolls.

And we already have various worldgen adventurers, including beast hunters and mercenaries, notably so. I agree that it would be good to see them being utilized by local governments against such supernatural threats.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:39:46 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.