Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria 1.4.9.8  (Read 11622 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria 1.4.9.8
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:52:35 pm »

Once upon a time, there was a mighty empire that was the envy of the world. But as time went on, the empire decayed. Its emperors and officials grew increasingly incompetent, corrupt, and cruel. The corruption spread to its armies, as discipline faltered and its legions became increasingly reliant upon foreign mercenaries. Its outer provinces faced increasing poverty and instability, and slowly receded.

Once upon a time, an aging emperor reflected upon his mortality, upon the decline both of his empire and of his health, and decided that he would overcome these by any means necessary.

Few know of what blaspemies that mad emperor committed, save that it involved the blood sacrifice of thousands of slaves, the deaths of tens of thousands, and the total destruction of that great empire.

This land has changed greatly since then. New kingdoms have arisen from the ashes of that empire. Empires rise and fall with the seasons, yet this age is but a shadow of the glories of Nimeria. This is an age of strife and horror. Demons, vampires, werewolves, and wicked covens stalk the land, preying upon the innocent and unwary. Kings wage pointless wars even in the face of countless horrors, and another great empire, motivated by these apocalyptic signs, comes from across the mountains to lay claim on the lands of her ancient rival.

The Faiths of Men
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Races of Men

There are other beings, as well. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, demons -- multiple sorts of these, in fact -- but I'd prefer those to be just a little bit mysterious so I probably won't elaborate unless specifically asked (not that I assume anyone would bother).

Changelog 1.4.9.8

Changelog 1.4.9.1

Changelog 1.4.9

Changelog 1.4.2

Changelog 1.3.8

Changelog 1.3.4

Changelog 1.2.8
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:53:07 pm by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:05:54 pm »

In the next version I will give these versions of the Akhadians a pagan altar, probably fix up some other things, fix a couple of lore inconsistencies (that tbf no one will actually find unless they specifically read in-folder descriptions that don't actually appear in the game), and maybe add a couple of scripts I was thinking of trying.

In the meantime, please tell me what you think. Is it good? Is it bad? Broken? Have any suggestions? I want to know.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »

There are other beings, as well. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, demons -- multiple sorts of these, in fact -- but I'd prefer those to be just a little bit mysterious so I probably won't elaborate unless specifically asked (not that I assume anyone would bother).

I would like to know about your setting's take on these races. If you don't desire to share it on this thread, you could share it via a personal message.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 03:45:21 pm »

Sure, I can cover what a human in the setting would know (basically elves and dwarves, and some basic details of dogmen, kobolds, djinn, and goblins (which are basically a type of demon) and maybe vampires (basically only as much as a knowledgeable and well-read human adventurer or political figure would likely know).

So, elves. Elves were the original inhabitants of this land (which is called Aelea, which is also the name of the large world I created in PerfectWorld for it). They are smaller and more slight of frame than humans, but also drastically longer-lived There were numerous tribal kingdoms and empires of elves in those days -- most were essentially bronze age, or used a variety of stranger alloys now largely lost to time (though these might be forgeable in the next version), though some favored magically enhanced obsidian -- or even just obsidian, as most elven warriors of this era wore little to no armor.

They had no horses, and were largely wiped out or enslaved by the coming of the first men to Aelea -- warlike tribes of men with chariots and great bows, larger than those of the (much physically smaller) elves, and with metal gifted to them by the treacherous dwarves of the mountains. The surviving elven cultures now dwell in those areas too dangerous or inhospitable for humans to have much interest in, or which are remote and defensible enough to keep the humans at bay.

There are essentially four subraces of elves. Sand Elves, Dark Elves, Snow Elves, and Wood Elves.

The Races of Elves

Now, dwarves.

The Races of Dwarves

The djinn are essentially elemental spirits, alien and capricious. There are five sorts.

The Races of Djinn

In addition, there are also other things that can't necessarily be categorized like this.

Dogmen

Kobolds

Goblins, Frog Demons, and others

Vampires

There are other things as well, of course, but those other things are rarer, more removed from civilization, unknown, or are basically (semi)megabeasts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:00:24 pm by Dunmeris »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »

This seems pretty cool. I'm also the sort that likes making custom settings using Dwarf Fortress, so its great to see more of them pop up.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »

As of today, the only thing I could want from this mod is a 32 bit or a files only version. My computer can't play this mod and I'm not sure what exactly to remove and add in order to make this particular mod function.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:16:43 pm »

This seems pretty cool. I'm also the sort that likes making custom settings using Dwarf Fortress, so its great to see more of them pop up.

Thanks! Next update will have some minor tweaking to be more lore consistent, among other things. It'll also have a bit more religious stuff, mostly for the Akhadians (specifically a pagan altar, which would make a lot of sense for them).

As of today, the only thing I could want from this mod is a 32 bit or a files only version. My computer can't play this mod and I'm not sure what exactly to remove and add in order to make this particular mod function.

Yeah, it is a bit overloaded haha. Wasn't really sure if I was overdoing it.

I'll upload a files only version in a hot mome. See if I can separate out the DFHack stuff, too. Might also make a separate upload for just the graphics.

As for some advice running it, if it's giving your computer trouble I'd probably recommend against using the Aelea world preset. It's... well, if you don't have the best computer, going with a large world and past about 250 or so years can be kinda... yeah.

Also, you can pretty freely remove any entity file and its associated creature/language pretty safely. If you just want to remove one, I'd go with the Erukaians as they're not actually present in worldgen -- they're available as outsiders, and I was thinking of adding a system of being able to purchase mercenaries and/or slaves. That or one/two of the Bremans/Rovalians/Velaise, as they're very very very similar to each other and the Bremans/Velaise were basically just added because it felt weird to have the various kingdoms of the Medieval Feudal Europe stand-in all be populated by the same single ethnic group speaking the same single language.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:56:53 pm by Dunmeris »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »

Thanks! Next update will have some minor tweaking to be more lore consistent, among other things. It'll also have a bit more religious stuff, mostly for the Akhadians (specifically a pagan altar, which would make a lot of sense for them).

Sounds cool. As for your mentioning of a proper vampire civ, one thing I should tell you is that if you give a race the [BLOODSUCKER] tag, or give a caste of a race that tag, then the civ will purge itself of anything with that tag, which quickly turns into a mess. A good idea might be to make a race of albino humans that periodically give birth to vampiric overlords (maybe because of some ancient pack or covenant) and then give the vampire overlords an interaction they will instantly use that will give them the vampire powers (like blood vision and the need to drink blood) so that they actually function the part, so to speak.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 08:52:44 pm »

Sounds cool. As for your mentioning of a proper vampire civ, one thing I should tell you is that if you give a race the [BLOODSUCKER] tag, or give a caste of a race that tag, then the civ will purge itself of anything with that tag, which quickly turns into a mess. A good idea might be to make a race of albino humans that periodically give birth to vampiric overlords (maybe because of some ancient pack or covenant) and then give the vampire overlords an interaction they will instantly use that will give them the vampire powers (like blood vision and the need to drink blood) so that they actually function the part, so to speak.

Thanks, I didn't know that. That will come in handy.

Anyway, here's that RAWs only version. Also, it occurred to me another thing that might make the mod system-heavy: the heraldic surcoats. There are a lot of them, because, y'know, you need lots of heraldry for your Medieval Feudal Europeans. I can make a version of the RAWs only version that removes them and just has a single generic "heraldic surcoat" if it would help.

EDIT: RAWs Only No Heraldry version is now uploaded. Instead of all those unique heraldic surcoats, there's only one (fittingly called "heraldic surcoat"). Also added heraldic variants (only one of each though) of the heater, kite, and round shields to go with it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:18:02 pm by Dunmeris »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 03:30:17 pm »

Something to note also. Maybe this is just me but I got these messages in my errorlog when I tried out your mod. You might want to check this out.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:31 pm »

Something to note also. Maybe this is just me but I got these messages in my errorlog when I tried out your mod. You might want to check this out.

Oh shit, right. I added those just before I uploaded the mod and didn't have a chance to test it. I'll fix that up in a jiffy and upload a new version. Thanks for the error report, btw.

EDIT: I re-tested it and fixed all errors. But before I can upload the new version, there's one more thing I need to test. I think the djinn might be too hardcore to not be semimegabeasts.

EDIT EDIT: I guess it's hard to say. Efreet and Shaitan kick the shit out of anything that isn't fire resistant -- like they can straight up clown on lesser megabeasts -- but the djinn in general seem to be glass cannons, and the Jann (that's how it's actually spelled, I corrected the spelling in that earlier post I made) and Marid can get pretty easily bodied by ogres and trolls; the efreet, too, if their opponent manages to not get burned to death first. I'll need to beef up the Jann and Marid, or give them all much better dodging and agility bonuses, and make them all semimegabeasts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:10:36 pm by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »

!!UPDATE!!

Fixed language errors that I somehow missed due to lack of testing. Also made some minor lore corrections, and improved the djinn. Speaking of the djinn, efreets are now megabeasts as they should be, and occasionally inhabit shrines and labyrinths in the desert.

EDIT: Also, I said I'd make an alternate version with the Akhadians in sophisticated sultanates and the Sarvanians reduced to small tribes in the deserts and mountains. I'll get on that, expect an alternate version soon, as well as an update to the RAWs only version once I test it to make sure it works.

Once I upload that, I'll also give the Vodiods and the main release version of Akhadians (the ones who DON'T live in sultanates) a pagan altar. In both cases, they'll have to choose between their main monotheism (Raianism for the Vodiods and Ijran for the Akhadians) or the use of their pagan altars. Use of the pagan altar will essentially disable the Shrine of Raius and the Prayer Rug. You'll only be able to regain use of these by desecrating the pagan altar, which will in turn permanently disable all of its reactions.

EDIT EDIT: Somehow I posted the wrong link the first time. That's fixed also.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:53:03 pm by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 07:42:21 pm »

Raws Only version now updated to 1.2, and RONH version along with it (I'm really just going to bundle these together after this).

I also fixed the Raws Only versions, as I hadn't tested them and there were tons of errors (mostly due to missing speech files: I added those in, so I guess it's no longer technically raws only). Sorry for the error-filled previous version, Asin.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:51:41 pm by Dunmeris »

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 11:58:22 pm »

It would be a good idea to add those new download links to the initial post, as well as the descriptions and whatnot so people don't have to search the thread later to find them. :) The mod looks pretty neat. I like the setting. :D

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:24 am »

It would be a good idea to add those new download links to the initial post, as well as the descriptions and whatnot so people don't have to search the thread later to find them. :) The mod looks pretty neat. I like the setting. :D

Thanks! Yeah, I should add the Raws Only versions to the OP. I'mma do that now.

Anyway, another minor update. Fixed a minor mistake with the Demerians that kept them from using their language file (oh boy how did I even).
Pages: [1] 2 3