Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria 1.4.9.8  (Read 11620 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 03:27:41 pm »

How hard would it be to convert the mod into an ASCII tileset? I don't have much experience with messing with this sort of thing so if it isn't difficult I could just do it myself when I download it.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 07:41:42 pm »

How hard would it be to convert the mod into an ASCII tileset? I don't have much experience with messing with this sort of thing so if it isn't difficult I could just do it myself when I download it.

It wouldn't be hard but it would be kind of mildly time-consuming. See, Obsidian's tileset requires some changes to the tiles of grass, humans (just to '@' instead of 'U'), and maybe a couple of tools. Maybe also trees, but I don't remember changing those. However, in most cases (if I missed any, feel free to tell me) I posted what would've been there originally right next to what I changed, just to the right of the brackets. For instance...

Here's the grass file.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For it to be perfectly serviceable, you would just need to replace those things. The grass file is the only one that would really definitely need to be fixed, and most of that could be done with a couple of CTRL+R replace alls. Or by just replacing the plant_grasses file, as basically all I did to that file besides tweak some tiles was remove grasses that didn't fit the euro-middle-eastern setting. Swapping the plant_grasses with a vanilla version will not and could not possibly break anything.

I was actually planning on just making the RAWs only version a straight up ASCII version with the next update, going through the RAWs and fixing anything that needs it. You can as well though, if you'd like. There's not too much that needs changing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:43:35 pm by Dunmeris »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:48 pm »

It wouldn't be hard but it would be kind of mildly time-consuming. See, Obsidian's tileset requires some changes to the tiles of grass, humans (just to '@' instead of 'U'), and maybe a couple of tools. Maybe also trees, but I don't remember changing those. However, in most cases (if I missed any, feel free to tell me) I posted what would've been there originally right next to what I changed, just to the right of the brackets. For instance...

Here's the grass file.

For it to be perfectly serviceable, you would just need to replace those things. The grass file is the only one that would really definitely need to be fixed, and most of that could be done with a couple of CTRL+R replace alls. Or by just replacing the plant_grasses file, as basically all I did to that file besides tweak some tiles was remove grasses that didn't fit the euro-middle-eastern setting. Swapping the plant_grasses with a vanilla version will not and could not possibly break anything.

I was actually planning on just making the RAWs only version a straight up ASCII version with the next update, going through the RAWs and fixing anything that needs it. You can as well though, if you'd like. There's not too much that needs changing.

All right, thanks. I'll do some experimenting.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:18 pm »

Oh my god. In the version uploaded, the Sarvanians have their graphics broken (in the sense that they aren't assigned because I had changed their names before release but not changed the name in the graphics). Holy shit, I'm going to need to upload that update early.

Luckily, I think I've scoured it just well enough to catch every bug. If anyone finds any, please tell me. Mostly after I actually upload the update, which hasn't quite happened yet.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:02:37 am by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 11:37:48 pm »

!!UPDATE!!

Numerous bugfixes in graphics, languages, and gameplay. Sarvanians had their graphics fixed (they weren't assigned graphics as I'd changed their names in objects but not graphics).

Akhadians, Agerans, Erukaians, and so on all had their military unit graphics fixed (turns out their militia captains had graphics but the number sets were somehow empty, as I am sentient only by technical definition. Also there were some dupes in the graphics file, because see above.). They also had their graphics improved.

Civ positions improved, and in a couple of cases fixed where they were broken.

Items missing DFHack descriptions had descriptions added.

Leather standardized! This is a big optimization; everything runs, loads, and gens a lot smoother when the game doesn't have to keep track of elevently billion individual types of leather. Consequently, item names flow better ("boots" vs "spotted wobbegong leather boots"), and it's more immersive as a result.

Other, more minor optimizations done. Also fixed some really dumb things like people farming and eating poisonous fumaria.

Fixed up some names, including of fumaria (fumewort).

New words added, mostly lore or flavor.

New creatures and buildings added.

Tigermen now commonly appear in Sarvanian settlements, having come with the Sarvanian Empire from the distant East.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:07:02 am by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Slaves to Raius: God of Nimeria 1.2.8
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 12:03:03 am »

And there's the RAWs Only version updated, as well, though only the full heraldry version.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 12:33:20 am »

While I'm here, and since I mentioned tigermen, I might as well make a lore post about them.

Tigermen

Next version might have some other catfolk dwelling with the Sarvanians, and maybe a rare claw weapon that I've been deliberating on actually putting in.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:20:49 pm by Dunmeris »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 04:28:01 pm »

Hey so you know you can just apply the [GELDABLE] token to a body part in the body parts file right? You don't need to do the whole       [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE] kind of thing that's done in vanilla if there's actually a different body part you can just apply it to constantly.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »

Hey so you know you can just apply the [GELDABLE] token to a body part in the body parts file right? You don't need to do the whole       [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE] kind of thing that's done in vanilla if there's actually a different body part you can just apply it to constantly.

I didn't. Thanks!

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 08:05:24 pm »

Alright, so enough has been updated that I'm thinking I'll end up doing a new thread. Well, actually, I'll do two new threads.

What I'm thinking is one version of SoR will be set slightly earlier, during the dark age that followed the fall of Nimeria and during the following Sarvanian colonization; Sarvanians and Akhadians will mostly be the same as in this version (albeit with updates/fixes of course, possibly earlier weapons, and the Akhadians will be more pagan), but there'll be earlier versions of the Rovalians (as they would've been in the time of the Old Rovalian Empire), Vodish and Bremans (who will both be outright pagan tribesfolk), Demerians (much more Nimerian), and Agerans, and no Velaise (they came about later). The other will be set after the rise of the Akhadians; the Agerans, Demerians, Rovalians, Bremans, Velaise, and Vods will be the same as in this version (albeit with updates/fixes of course), but the Akhadians will be a series of sophisticated, genie-enslaving sultanates in the tropical biomes while the Sarvanians will have largely been driven into the desert and reduced to barbarism, their djinn allies now largely having either abandoned them or been enslaved by the Akhadians.

I'll also have some music sets (no soundsense thing, just alternate song_title and song_game versions) for each version of each civ, to mix and match as you like. I've got most of the music sets made, except for the Demerians. And also right now the Velaise and Bremans just use a generic Theodish set.

Does this sound like a good idea, or is this dumb and should I just do the mod as presented? Like I do admittedly have basically a full update well and ready.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and upload that, then do this... thing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:20:21 pm by Dunmeris »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 08:23:13 pm »

Alright, so enough has been updated that I'm thinking I'll end up doing a new thread. Well, actually, I'll do two new threads.

What I'm thinking is one version of SoR will be set slightly earlier, during the dark age that followed the fall of Nimeria and during the following Sarvanian colonization; Sarvanians and Akhadians will mostly be the same as in this version (albeit with updates/fixes of course, possibly earlier weapons, and the Akhadians will be more pagan), but there'll be earlier versions of the Rovalians (as they would've been in the time of the Old Rovalian Empire), Vodish and Bremans (who will both be outright pagan tribesfolk), Demerians (much more Nimerian), and Agerans, and no Velaise (they came about later). The other will be set after the rise of the Akhadians; the Agerans, Demerians, Rovalians, Bremans, Velaise, and Vods will be the same as in this version (albeit with updates/fixes of course), but the Akhadians will be a series of sophisticated, genie-enslaving sultanates in the tropical biomes while the Sarvanians will have largely been driven into the desert and reduced to barbarism, their djinn allies now largely having either abandoned them or been enslaved by the Akhadians.

I'll also have some music sets (no soundsense thing, just alternate song_title and song_game versions) for each version of each civ, to mix and match as you like. I've got most of the music sets made, except for the Demerians. And also right now the Velaise and Bremans just use a generic Theodish set.

Does this sound like a good idea, or is this dumb and should I just do the mod as presented? Like I do admittedly have basically a full update well and ready.

So, is this kinda like alternate versions of your mod's setting, just in different times? And will these versions outright replace this version or will they co-exist with it? I've been planning on doing something akin to this with my mod Culture Shock, except these versions would take place in other parts of the setting, such as alternate planes or far-off times.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 08:29:48 pm »

So, is this kinda like alternate versions of your mod's setting, just in different times? And will these versions outright replace this version or will they co-exist with it? I've been planning on doing something akin to this with my mod Culture Shock, except these versions would take place in other parts of the setting, such as alternate planes or far-off times.

Yes, exactly. The same setting, but in different eras.

I'm also thinking of doing different regions (namely the Sarvanian Sea), but I'll wait on that.

EDIT: They'll mostly replace this version in the sense that I'll probably stop updating this version, but you'll be able to mix and match between them pretty freely.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:44:42 pm by Dunmeris »

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 09:49:17 pm »

Alright, both standard and raws only have been updated just in time for the New Year. RONH has been removed, as it is now obsolete due to one of the new changes.

Announcements changed. You know when you start a fort, or when you meet a diplomat, or really any text screen in Fortress Mode? They've all been changed. They no longer imply dwarfishness; you're playing as men, not dwarves.

Lots and lots of various bugfixes (that's the majority of it), a new building for the Akhadians and Sarvanians (the Riding Ground), a number of language and flavor updates, some price adjustments, Sand Elves are now playable, and Tigermen now have a priestly caste.

In addition, a few things have been removed. Namely, all those pointless heraldic surcoats that the game had to load. They're all gone; now there's just a generic Heraldic Surcoat, along with Heraldic Heater, Kite, and Round shields, thus making things smoother and easier, and making the RONH version obsolete (as mentioned earlier).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:13:29 pm by Dunmeris »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 11:14:41 pm »

I think it's an interesting idea to have two seperate versions of the mod that are kind of like the same thing but at different times, but I think splitting the thread is a bad idea. At best it'll be slightly confusing, but along with that it's also likely that you'll have one version of the mod that gets less attention and falls down and then it's weird because there's another version, and you'll have people asking questions in one that should be in another. I will also say that I personally wouldn't make two seperate versions of the mod, but if it's what you want to do you can go ahead and do it. The only reason not to from a people other than you perspective is potential confusion, which I don't think would be too bad if you just keep it to one thread.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 11:26:41 pm »

I think it's an interesting idea to have two seperate versions of the mod that are kind of like the same thing but at different times, but I think splitting the thread is a bad idea. At best it'll be slightly confusing, but along with that it's also likely that you'll have one version of the mod that gets less attention and falls down and then it's weird because there's another version, and you'll have people asking questions in one that should be in another. I will also say that I personally wouldn't make two seperate versions of the mod, but if it's what you want to do you can go ahead and do it. The only reason not to from a people other than you perspective is potential confusion, which I don't think would be too bad if you just keep it to one thread.

Good point. The only other thing is that I figure I should add a guide for things like buildings and reactions and I'm not sure it would fit in the OP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3