Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat update [speculation]  (Read 1536 times)

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat update [speculation]
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:48 pm »

So when do you predict Toady will update combat features?

(Listed on development page)
Notion of stance/guard, with varying bonuses/penalties
Ability to jump up on and ride opponents if they are large enough (can happen to you too of course)
Not being able to hit a giant in the head, hitting a dragon in the head as a reaction when it attempts to bite
Notion of overall wrestling position (who is on top of or controlling whom, etc.)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Combat update [speculation]
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »

I wouldn't expect it within the next few years at least since it doesn't seem to have anything to do with villains or the Myth & Magic update. Personally, I'd think those features would be implemented whenever Toady adds multi-tile creatures. I think those will be at about the same time as boats.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:29 pm »

I imagine if Toady goes ahead with the pre-mythgen siege and army additions this time (and that's not at all certain now), he's going to try to stay more on script. Villains has already gone way, way over what he first expected.

But there again, it's not without reason (villains just didn't work with the existing links), so if for some reason Better Sieges doesn't work without a robust formations/stances/size system (can't see why that would be), we might be in for another unscheduled 6 month pre-Wait Wait.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:51:09 pm »

the jumping on and riding thing could be implemented with mounts, thus it would be implemented much earlier then the others.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:16:40 pm »

The combat related stuff I'd want the most would be a rework of ranged weapons and a proper implementation of throwing weapons, but I doubt any of this is gonna happen in the next 5 years, maybe even longer.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 12:12:16 am »

Imagine Toady unknowingly does all these over the next few months by making horses ride-able.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:01:50 am »

Combat rework doesn't have an obvious placement in any of the following three major arcs (Myths & Magic, Embark Scenarios, Economy & Boats), so it would have to be implemented during a side-track session such as the current one (or multiple ones). It is important to note though, that multitile creatures have a strong connection to boats and that dev arc, so any combat changes relating to giant enemies will come first after that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 01:18:30 pm »

Mounts have been in the game abstractly forever, trying to teach a AI to jockey to another AI (given that invaders can be wonky and cheat a little bit by gravitating towards the fortress) is probably more difficult than adventure mode though. The whole interpersonal combat mechanics of mounted speed velocity (joust poles etc) might still be within reach close by or the next step of development prior to the big wait.

Everyone's itching to tread dwarf-trained war-elephants across the Alps to raid the gloating elves on the other side.