Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancers arrived in migrant wave?  (Read 2010 times)

A1p8ca

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Necromancers arrived in migrant wave?
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »

I have a fortress that seemed on the brink of collapse after several damaging cave ogre and a forgotten beast attack, so migrants didn't arrive for a while. When they did arrive, the message said"migrants have arrived despite the danger. " I didn't check professions for a while, but when I did, I was shocked to find a dwarf jewler  necromancer, and a dwarf engineer necromancer on the units list. They are definitely friendly, I'm pretty sure the engineer made some mechinisms, and I know the jewler hauled corpses around, and didn't raise my huge refuse OR corpse stockpile. I don't know if someone brought in a slab, or if they came in the migrant wave. Is there anything I can do with these dwarves?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers arrived in migrant wave?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:41:48 am »

They will only animate when they feel threatened. The undead will attack everyone, except the necromancer.

You could look them up in an unused part of the fort and put some scary creature behind grates so they feel threatened all the time. That way you can make them animate some hair or other fairly safe body part that can be used in military training.

You could also ignore the fact that they are necromancers. But that will create havoc when you least expect it.

Most likely there is a slab or book containing secrets of life in the fort those immigrants came from. If it is in your form other dwarves will become necromancer as well.

A1p8ca

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 05:36:48 pm »

Thank you, I was afraid to play in that fort because I didn't want to have too much fun. Finally a use for all 10 of those blind cave ogres.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 05:40:17 pm »

Make a trap to the fort involving caged undead.  Necromancers are good for not needing food or drink, and booze can be shuttled in from above.

Using bridges you could also use free-range undead for maximum humanitarianism.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

A1p8ca

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:39:29 pm »

I am SO going to try that.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:52:28 pm »

use free-range undead for maximum humanitarianism.

Call me a bearded gnome, but this ain't no 'human' fortress, go take your progressive zombie politics somewhere else!