Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using an artifact cage.  (Read 1551 times)

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
Using an artifact cage.
« on: December 08, 2018, 08:22:08 pm »

I have an artifact cage made of candy and my dwarves won't use it to set cage traps. I figure maybe i'm doing something wrong. They will set a cage trap with an ordinary cage. I've forbidden it then set it to be claimed again that didn't work either. Is this a bug?
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using an artifact cage.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 02:50:49 am »

It's a waste of an artifact cage to use it in cage traps.  Even wood cages are indestructible to the creature inside them.

An artifact cage would make an excellent jail cell.  Dwarves locked up in it would get good thoughts from admiring it to help balance out the negative thoughts from being locked up.

Either way, dwarves usually just use the closest cage to load a cage trap.  Did the dwarf who made it claim it as an heirloom or give it to the fort?  Maybe that would make a difference?

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »

Dwarves wouldn't set the trap even though it was the only cage I had.
It was claimed as an heirloom. Does that matter?
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »

I do not think that is matters if the crafter claims the artifact or donates it to the fortress. I suspect it will not be loaded because it is an artifact; similar to how a military will not pick up an artifact mace even if it is the only mace available and his uniform is expecting a generic "mace". Building the cage in a room will make the room value legendary, so that is a good use of it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:48:54 am »

It takes longer time, but you can assign weapons to dwarves. The benefit is, if they are not miners, hunters or woodcutters doing their civilian job, then they will go and pick assigned armor, shield and weapon and carry it always with them as clothing.

So, your unwary fisherdwarf was caught by some wild predator on surface by a river or underground by an angry troll by a cave lake? After the predator catches up with the fleeing dwarf, it gets a nasty surprise in meeting your well trained and fully equipped trooper. :D

On were bites issue. Do bites penetrate metal armor to spread were infection? How about starter leather armor?  :-\

So far, the only bites I have observed were deflected by a leather shield. My military starts to train with bare shields btw. :) Though my one-use throwaways leather shields are also the first "weapons" getting name and entering my fortress precious list of adamantine artifacts to my sheer horror.  :o

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 03:28:31 am »

I do not think that is matters if the crafter claims the artifact or donates it to the fortress. I suspect it will not be loaded because it is an artifact; similar to how a military will not pick up an artifact mace even if it is the only mace available and his uniform is expecting a generic "mace". Building the cage in a room will make the room value legendary, so that is a good use of it.

A excellent accent for a dwarf monarch's pet titan/megabeast/favorite animal in the throne room to raise it to royal quality.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 09:58:42 am »

On were bites issue. Do bites penetrate metal armor to spread were infection? How about starter leather armor?  :-\

I don't know if it's possible, but I haven't seen it. So at the very least, it's a massive improvement.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:38:14 am »

I don't know if it's possible, but I haven't seen it. So at the very least, it's a massive improvement.

The large teeth of a werebeast can probably penetrate it, copper does a better job of protection for repelling teeth and claws even though its heavy but leather is better than nothing since civilian clothes can easily shred exposing skin.

Layering leather armor over metal chainmail though would be a effective defence, its mostly about covering each of your body-parts, so that the likelyhood that they bite your dwarves in the exposed face (without wearing a mask) is lower.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 04:30:27 pm »

...in the exposed face (without wearing a mask) is lower.
Masks don't protect the face. Only bodywear can, for weird reasons.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?