Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [IT'S BACK] Return of the Dwarves vol.2: Earthenhold (Succession Game/Challenge)  (Read 16731 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile

As of the time of editing this, the game has come to an end. Overseers disappearing without updating their progress led to a lot of guesswork on our parts, and the thread just went quiet for months at a time. Every now and then someone would bump it saying it should keep going, then overseers never updated when the save was passed on.

If anyone wants to fiddle around with the save, here's a copy I found in my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/654lbu14y8ydeg0/Earthenhold.rar?dl=0
No idea if it's the most recent but it's all I got.

Okay, looks like we're back for now :P

Feel free to post any updates or findings if you get around to digging through the world's lore, I'd like to see the Dwarves return to power and curb the Goblins, so if anyone manages it I'll give them a cookie. Or my recipe for cookies, idk.

Have fun.

Usnuspstrasp, year 1050.

For 800 years the Goblins have ruled uncontested over the world. As the fruits of the gods' labors first drew breath and early civilisations took their first clumsy steps into the virgin wilderness, sinister powers began to draw up plans of their own.

Forging dark pacts with the gods, a pair of demons rose up from the depths of hell and dominated the fledgling Goblin holdings, ruling them with an adamantine fist to this very day.

The humans were the first to fall, their small cluster of towns quickly overrun as the evil hordes spewed forth from the Dark Fortresses. The Elves soon followed. Both civilizations crumbled within 50 years, so soon that not a single being in the world had died of old age. The Elven empire somehow withstood the Elves' extinction, and a handful of beastmen held out for another 150 years before being stomped out.

The Dwarves were somewhat more fortunate, having lasted for over 280 years in spite of their proximity to one of the Goblin capitals before the last Fortress submitted to the ravages of constant warfare.

Unlike the others, war did not eliminate the species and any remaining children were enslaved and raised in the pits, although these survivors would not last long. The only other survivors were a group of five adventurers, who mastered the art of necromancy and achieved immortality, hiding away in their tower for centuries away from Goblin eyes. These five were all that remained of the Dwarven race, its lands pillaged by dragon and demon and forgotten beast alike, and its relics gathering dust in the clutches of the demonic overlords, as well as several megabeasts.

All that changed at the start of the year 1050.

As the new year dawned, a group of Dwarves awoke in the wilderness, with no recollection of the events that led to their arrival in the middle of nowhere. They found that almost a millenia had passed and they were the last of their kind.
Refusing to give in to anguish and grief, they did what all Dwarves do: Drink and Dig. They channeled their pain into the construction of a new fortress, further east than any civilisation past or present had ever tread and far enough away that the Goblins would never know of their existence.

They would rebuild. Regardless wether or not this fortress became a monumemt or a tomb, hey would ensure that the Old Empire would never be forgotten.

The new fortress was christened Sunshield, and other Dwarves soon began to appear out of nowhere, settling in their new home and dedicating theirselves to the survival of their species.

This was 4 years ago. Sunshield thrives.

Feeling comfortable in their newfound safety the fortress' queen, "Comicraider" Kalanfikod, ordered a second fortress be founded nearby; the first of many in their quest to reclaim this world from their opressors. The new fortress was christened "Earthenhold" and a group of settlers were sent west to begin construction.

Volume 1: "Sunshield" can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170514.0

That's right, folks, this game's back from the dead...much like the Dwarves. I recently came back after four months of inactivity and the previous Return of the Dwarves thread having been dead for just as long to find that literally SEVERAL people wanted to keep it going. Why not? :P

Original fortress' thread can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170514.msg7749809#msg7749809

The previous objectives will still apply;

1) Kill ALL Goblins.

2) Retrieve Dwarven artifacts from the original civilisation.

3) Kill ALL Goblins.

The save I recovered after reviving the game was from my initial year, so I'm rebooting the player list;

1) comicraider
2) applet
3) GPeter
4)
5)
6)

Anyone is welcome to request a turn or to be dorfed :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:57:01 pm by comicraider »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Dwarves vol.2: Earthenhold (Succession Game)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:22:18 pm »

I would like a turn to adventure a bit if you wouldn’t mind! Also I still haven’t got an answer as to how the beetle folk did! I hope they didn’t get chowed on by goblins!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:00:02 am »

I never actually found out, but I discovered something disturbing that says they might indeed have been on the recieving end of a Goblin enema...

I retired Sunshield and started the new fortress (making sure I did actually hit retire) but the civilization page is now telling me Sunshield has no population whatsoever. Did we get raided in the nine months since this new fortress was started?

There also seems to be a pair of hillocks having popped up near the original Dwarven ruins, both with ~40 population apiece, and my dorf is still queen, as well as there now being a liaison and barons from each of the original fortresses...which have been abandoned for almost a milennia. And each and every one of them minus the Liaison and the Queen are Merchants. Odd.

Sunshield seems to have been vacated in favour of two random hillocks which are right on the enemy's doorstep. This is worrying. Luckily there's a hell of a lot of gold under Earthenhold so we're gonna have to offer our way up to Mountainhome so this doesn't happen again. Update coming soon

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:14:21 am »

Just read Legends Viewer, Beetlesaurus is alive and well. :)

Also, I got married...and me and my husband moved to the ruined fortress of Gladgold along with a handful of others. There's a Forgotten Beast living in Gladgold that has repelled every Goblin invasion since the Dwarves initially died out.

I've just got to the bottom of what happened in Sunshield. I'll post a detailed report in Sunshield's thread seeing as it is the definitive ending.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:31:25 am »

This time, the dwarves shall prevail!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:42 am »

What are the personalities of the starting seven? Are we bringing cars again?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:18 am »

According to Comicraiders log one of the beetle men died. I know what I must do. During my reign the beetle-people shall rise up with the dwarves!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:15 pm »

Comicraider can I take a look at the save? I could be an idiot but I can't seem to find the most recent one? I just want to pop in and take a quick look at legends mode.

Obsidian 1053

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:18 pm »

According to Comicraiders log one of the beetle men died. I know what I must do. During my reign the beetle-people shall rise up with the dwarves!

I have no idea how many beetle people there were in Sunshield :P My memory's a little spotty. All I know is the one you named "Beetlesaurus" is alive and well, they just resettled in the old territories along with the survivors :3

Comicraider can I take a look at the save? I could be an idiot but I can't seem to find the most recent one? I just want to pop in and take a quick look at legends mode.

I'll post the current save shortly, I made a copy of my unfinished turn to peruse in Legends Viewer and find out what happened to Sunshield.

What are the personalities of the starting seven? Are we bringing cars again?

Crap, forgot to post that :P One of them is already dead, there was an incident involving a tree and some giant birds. I have a screenshot of the original seven and I know which is dead, so I'll go from that.

And yes, I bought a single pair of cats to breed for FOOD. NO GELDING THIS TIME. THEY ARE FOR MEAT AND LEATHER. :P

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 08:26:26 pm »

What are the personalities of the starting seven?
One of them is already dead, there was an incident involving a tree and some giant birds.
:o

That was fast, hope they had no ambition of starting a family...

edit:spelling

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 06:35:41 am »

And yes, I bought a single pair of cats to breed for FOOD. NO GELDING THIS TIME. THEY ARE FOR MEAT AND LEATHER. :P

May Armok have mercy on the soul of this MURDERER!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:16 pm »

May Armok have mercy on the soul of this MURDERER!

THEY ARE DELICIOUS.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 05:25:31 pm »

Seriously though, Sunshield and all our work on it was decimated by two waves of nearly 7000 goblins each mere weeks after it was retired, the fortress itself being left empty.

I've got a small group of militia Dwarves training nonstop since we embarked, and plenty of iron. We need to flesh out the military and make sure Earthenhold is properly defended. I'm talking raiding parties as well as scavenging teams, as well as a decent sized standing garisson. The goblins want a fight, they'll get a goddamn fight.

I have three months left on the save, but I'm gonna try and lay the foundations of a grand training arena, and storage for caged prisoners. We cage any attackers we can regardless of species, and use them as practice for the troops. Sound good?

I'm no good with actual defenses barring melee troops and cage traps, so if any of the players know this stuff I ask that they help fortify the place to the best of their ability, increase the militia's numbers as well as they can, and anything else that will help kill those evil little bastards plaguing us.

I'm also gonna try and work my mason up to Legendary and have him make a statue depicting the defence of Sunshield, where one dwarf, a yak, and a water buffalo defended the fort by themselves killing almost 200 goblins while the populace escaped. They are truly heroes of legend.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 05:40:45 pm by comicraider »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 07:08:25 pm »

Make a statue of the lost beetle woman. Make it stand for the animal people who shall rise above the goblins.

Obsidian 1053

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »

Make a statue of the lost beetle woman. Make it stand for the animal people who shall rise above the goblins.

Beetlesaurus was the woman xD it was Beetledeed that died. Goblin killed him.

Killer's name is Ngezbo Tickcounsels, who was present at Sunshield's last stand, and is still alive. Vengeance shall be had >:3

Beetledeed also killed one of the dwarves...karma? How did you even get a pair of beetle people to join the fort anyway? xD
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:38:55 pm by comicraider »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9