Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: [IT'S BACK] Return of the Dwarves vol.2: Earthenhold (Succession Game/Challenge)  (Read 16727 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Dwarves vol.2: Earthenhold (Succession Game)
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »

Magical notifications!
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 01:02:44 pm »

Overseer #2 has also vanished, but this time we don't have the save posted :( I'll get in touch, see if he's still working on it or at least managed to get all the dwarves out of the walls.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »

You could just skip his turn and go on to Quixotic. I really don't want this to die; I really like the story so far.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

I sent him the save that UselessMcMiner posted, hopefully the link isn't dead.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »

Okay, I officially declare this thread deceased, hopefully the missing overseers are found alive and well. :P

I have no idea if this is the most recent save but here's a link to a copy of the save if anyone wants to screw around with it and post their antics;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/654lbu14y8ydeg0/Earthenhold.rar?dl=0

The story may be over, but the Dwarves must never die. Reclaim the kingdom, and strike the earth so hard it calls you daddy.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Save loads up ok. I would say expect shenanigans shortly, but I know better than to say such a thing in this thread.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Earthenhold

Strategic goal: World conquest
 Tactical goal: Not being noticed by the rest of the world
 Current mission: Produce equipment for an army
 Auxiliary mission: Make sure the fortress survives

Players note: This will be less story and more powergaming - sorry if you were expecting more story.

I have read both the earlier fortress SGs, but I don't remember much of them, it would seem.

Strategic assessment: Our current civ has a few more holdings than this fort. There also seems to be another dwarf civ? Other than that, only goblin civs. No elves - unfortunate - since they have useful war animals.

That's one massive dining room. At least that's what I think it is?

Except it's not designated as such. I guess it technically doesn't need to be?

Someone has been VERY busy fishing up mussles. A few pages of that, then a few pages of 'rotten raw mussel [5]'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entrance is gonna need to be more fortified.

Or rather, an alternate entrance for potential siegers needs to be created. Once raiding starts, we're gonna get big sieges. We need an easy way to dispose of them, and also all their gear, so we don't get lag issues due to thousands of goblinite.

Set up bookkeeper and manager, since this was missing. Use existing rooms made for private dining rooms? Offices now.

There's a hospital - that's good - there's no soap or powder. I guess it's a luxuary, really. Worse is that the beds are not possible to isolate - something that's very useful if a werebeast hits.

Right. On to the important stuff - weapons and armor. Our militia is set up with both training swords and regular iron ones? That is probably not very good. Unless you plan to pummel the enemy to death 50% of the time. I suppose we could bring in an animal to hit with training swords? Hmm..

Just gonna remove the training swords for now. Actually, lets set up some better uniforms.

Wooden shields are lighter, even though the break more easily. "Over clothing" for now, since the militia will go naked if there is no armor matching reqs.

Hmm.. The bar stockpiles do not allow coal. Eh. I'm torn on that.

We do need a coal STONE stockpile though, since right now it's just sitting in the normal stone stockpile - or down on the floor in the mines.

Why are we farming dimple cups? Aren't those basically useless?

I guess it says we have a shitton of prepared meal - so no big deal.

3 gem cutters? Yeah. I think you maay become something a LITTLE bit more useful.

That's a lot of space for very few coffins. Hrrm. Continuation of that will depend on dorfpower. Most likely more useful to make soldiers out of them.

Do we have any flux? Nope. Better hope there is some further down. Steel weapons are hard to replace.

Looking through the assigned labours. Ooh, one of the gem cutters has novice military tactics - nice. Guess what your next job is? Is legendary gem cutter though, oh well.

Time to unpause.

Mine out space for smelter input materials. Discover we have no wheelbarrows. Better put that legendary carpenter to work. 30 seconds later: 10 wheelbarrows. Jesus.

No separate seed stockpile? Better fix that. In my experience - seed bags in barrels tend to cause a lot more

then having a stockpile for just seeds, which doesn't allow barrels.

Well then, babies eh.

Migrants! Bunch of old-fort dwarves. Miners - very useful. Fish cleaner - surprisingly useful. Peasant... With military tactics! Nice.

Spoiler: current unit list (click to show/hide)

Hit cavern. Might be #2? We'll see.

Now the difficult question: Do I simply seal this up and forget about it, or do make a fortification around the breach?

Hmm.

Pictured lever is connected to cavern 1? bridge (that's the actual name). I gues I should (N)ote it too.

Migrants! First one to come on screen has 12k stress: instantly gets "attend meeting" task. One has Novice in almost all farmer labours. Hmm.

I discover a pond turtle genocide.

I guess legendary fisherdwarves do this? Never really use fisherdwarves, since they tend to go insane in the rain much faster.

Marble! Steel! VICTORY!

Just below the cavern.

Woops, forgot about this guy.

That was.. anticlimatic.

This is actually the entire combat log.

Artifact. Steel goblet. Meh. AND YOU HELD UP THE SWORD PRODUCTION. OFF TO JAIL WITH YE.

Caravan! Trade for all the things! Mainly leather.

Migrants! All new dwarfs it seems, 0 stress.

First gold statues comes of the production line - Place them up front.

And with that it's nighty night time for me.

Maybe I'll write something clever here when I'm not sleep deprived.

Ledpaddled

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most of those questionable designs were me, my bad :P

When I set up bar stockpiles I usually keep coal separate, as I normally churn out metals like nobody's business.

The spacious tombs I normally put 7 coffins in apiece, but given how few dwarves there are in the world and Sunshield's population scattered to the wind, I figured they could get a tomb each.

Hospital, I legitimately never thought about the werebeast possibility, so that's an oopsie on my part.

As for the massacred shellfish, I believe I was using the shells to grind up my craftsdwarf's skills, as well as getting stuff to trade with the caravans. Fishing was our primary source of food for a while and I guess I forgot to turn it off :P

In terms of the entrance, I go for "Vault door" designs with bridges purely to keep the civilians safe, and was probably planning to build an above-ground place for troops to live.

Soap is always an afterthought for me, I just forget about it. My most successful fort had magma pumps powering forges and an automated mill and shower before I ever got around to making soap, I remembered to do it after...dealing with a catsplosion. Same with powder, in my experience there aren't ever injuries, more like instant kills. Apologies for the mess. :P

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen bigger messes, no doubt. Just interesting to see how different players prioritize.
Powder I usually buy from the first or second caravan. You usually don't need more than they can ship you each year. Well I usually don't at least.

Also I'm pretty sure the shellfish qualify as "genocide" rather than "massacre". "There is nothing to catch in the river".

The fisherdwarves are pretty aggressive in the efficiency.
Ledpaddled

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile

As one of the previous Overseers who supposedly died, I must apologize, but I got a new job, lost a pc (Already got a new one) and I'm preparing to go to college, so I kinda had to give games some time, just fell bad that I forgot to warn you guys. But hey, I'm back now! When I go to college I should have some more time than right now so, expect to see more of me. Also, do you guys trust me a second chance as Overseer?
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here we go again.

A dorfed dorf has a mood - 'Kamtec_Housen'.

Nothing spectacular, but at least useful.

Damn it, out of flux already? At least we got a decent amount of steel out it. Time to mine more in the most annoying fashion possible.

Reverse vein mining. Blargh.

First mayor elected.

Interesting choice for mandate.

Migrants! Soldiers! Well.. Soon anyway. 16 of them. Nice. Gonna need more barracks things though. More armor too, and backpacks. and flasks. and.. hmm.

Wat

Wait just a minute. You're fleeing from a.. chinchilla? Not a giant chinchilla. Just a regular chinchilla. I mean - there are giant chinchillas on the map, so it might be wise to head underground. But really.

Well now. This should be.. interesting. CHAARGE.

Or not. The giant chases a giant chinchilla all over the map, finally killing it in a single blow. Then it tries to kill one of the dogs, failing because it is over exerted. A swordmaster arrives and dispatches it in short order. The giant lands no hits on our dorf.

Furnace op gets a mood. Claims a forge and a single bar of steel. Hopefully we'll get some armor & a legendary armorsmith. But it could be anything, novice in all the forge skills.

Well.. At least it's not useless. Also, that puts this dorf as the best weaponsmith. So I guess our current weaponsmith will become armor specialized instead.

Out of coal ores. Seems to be quite a lot on the surface. Massive digvx designations because meh. It seems digvx doesn't care about if the tile is diggable or not. Hmm. Never noticed that before.

I am too slow and the metal industry grinds to a halt, out of refined coal. Time for a dedicated coal ore stockpile.

I note that some dwarves are getting stress from lacking prayer time. Hmm, where to place the temples..

Some time passes, temples are "finished" (still lacking doors). I realize that the fps is dropping. That means its time to start attacking - which in turn means I need to initiate Project: Invaders must die!

Uh.. right.

Hmmm..

CHAAAAAAAAAARGE!

That was. Anticlimatic. Bronze is no match for steel.

The colossus only made harmful contact once. And then only bruising the muscle.

Meh.

Woops. There goes our armorsmith. And another. No idea about that one though.

Oooh..

Wait..

Thats it?

You know whats coming, right?

CHAARGE!

(We outnumber them 3:1)

The ancient enemies blood has been spilled.

Combat logs reveal that not a single damaging hit was taken. Not bad.

Now I see who that other dwarf who died in the cavein was. It was the manager!

Project: Invaders must die! continues. A hammer is created. Spare weaponsmith, not bad.

Invaders must die! finishes. Levers are hooked up - with 'N'otes in the dining room.

I finally decide I've had enough of the terrible smelting setup and set up a coal stockpile, then set all nearby stockpiles to give to the smelters. That should cut down on the running for the furnace ops, in favour of the wheelbarrow enhanced stockpile hauling.

I send a pillage raid to the goblins civ which sent the scouting party.

Artifact bed.. made of, gem?

Send another mission to capture the same site we scouted. Success!

Well then, this is the end for me - this time at least.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14416

Also yes. This was more then a year. I was on a roll!
Ledpaddled

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As one of the previous Overseers who supposedly died, I must apologize, but I got a new job, lost a pc (Already got a new one) and I'm preparing to go to college, so I kinda had to give games some time, just fell bad that I forgot to warn you guys. But hey, I'm back now! When I go to college I should have some more time than right now so, expect to see more of me. Also, do you guys trust me a second chance as Overseer?

Be my guest, as long as the updated save is dropped off if you disappear again :P I initially found the idea of not posting an update and leaving it to the next guy to do the guesswork and then take his year and do the same to be an amusing gimmick, but it happened so often I lost track of the save after a while, I'm not even sure whose round this version of the save was on before I sent it to applet, it had been sitting in my dropbox forever, Might have even been my initial turn :P

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
...I'm not even sure whose round this version of the save was on before I sent it to applet, it had been sitting in my dropbox forever, Might have even been my initial turn :P

It probably was. This is the same reason I prefer public posting of the save - makes it easier to pick the game back up when people disappear. dffd deals with the dead link problem mostly too - since I've never seen a save disappear from there. Only the entire site go down/appear slow at times.

But I don't want to come and tell people how to run their SGs, I know it's a lot more work then what is first appears to be.
Ledpaddled

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
...I'm not even sure whose round this version of the save was on before I sent it to applet, it had been sitting in my dropbox forever, Might have even been my initial turn :P

It probably was. This is the same reason I prefer public posting of the save - makes it easier to pick the game back up when people disappear. dffd deals with the dead link problem mostly too - since I've never seen a save disappear from there. Only the entire site go down/appear slow at times.

But I don't want to come and tell people how to run their SGs, I know it's a lot more work then what is first appears to be.

I went in blind, I appreciate any and all advice :P

As for DFFD, I've been waiting for confirmation emails for like a year now, never get them no matter how many times I register. Not even in my spambox.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile

Be my guest, as long as the updated save is dropped off if you disappear again :P I initially found the idea of not posting an update and leaving it to the next guy to do the guesswork and then take his year and do the same to be an amusing gimmick, but it happened so often I lost track of the save after a while, I'm not even sure whose round this version of the save was on before I sent it to applet, it had been sitting in my dropbox forever, Might have even been my initial turn :P

As of now, I still have little time, and could only be able to play in the weekends. If that's not a problem, then I'm good. But then again, I should get some more free time in a couple of weeks.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9