Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those Who Remain - Move between dimensions, survive by staying in the light  (Read 1407 times)

Bruno_Sky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,

My name is Bruno, I'm one of the devs (programmer) that has been working on “Those Who Remain”.
It has been now 2 years since we started this.
We just finished the game on PC – still some polish and testing to do - and we just started the port to Xbox.

A short description:
Those Who Remain is a psychological thriller that takes place in Dormont, a small town in the US.
Dormont appears to be a regular and typical American town at first glance, but it is however cursed by a demon who shrouded everything in darkness.
Most of Dormont’s population has been trapped inside the darkness, with no means of escape.
That’s when the main character arrives. Wrong place at the wrong time.

There are two main mechanics into play here :

- The player needs to use the light to survive. Mysterious creatures roam in the dark, and will attack and kill at first sight. Light scares them away.
- Moving between dimensions. There are strange portals in town that bring the player to a twisted mirror version of our world. What happens in one dimension affects the other.

If you want to know more, just head up to our Steam page :  https://store.steampowered.com/app/715380

Any questions, shoot! :)

Thanks,
Bruno

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

no demo, no info beyond some short gifs without gamplay, official web site says:

RELEASE DATE
  TBA (2018)

it's a pass for me

Bruno_Sky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It's coming somewhere in 2019, it will depend on the time the game will be in certification (for consoles).
Steam page has a gameplay video.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

"Light scares away the monsters"; gameplay video proceeds to show multiple different enemies giving zero shits about standing in direct light, and sometimes even moving towards it. Hmm...

Anyways, this is a fresh account that's only posted one thing (this thread), you don't show or claim any relationship to the Bay12 community, and unless I'm missing something crucial there doesn't seem to be much overlap between this and Dwarf Fortress... Why would DF players, specifically, have an increased interest in playing your game?

At the moment, without having any real connection to the community, this post is effectively on the level of a spambot. We don't know you, you don't seem to know us, so why would we be invested in this project?

If you're looking to develop a relationship with the community, that's great! But right now that doesn't really come across in the OP, so it looks more like a faceless advertisement. And that's not something we really respond all that well to.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

FWIW, this seems to be an actual typed post and not a copy/paste affair. Which is how I usually try to measure the intent of Escaped Lunatics posting about their games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bruno_Sky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

"Light scares away the monsters"; gameplay video proceeds to show multiple different enemies giving zero shits about standing in direct light, and sometimes even moving towards it. Hmm...

Anyways, this is a fresh account that's only posted one thing (this thread), you don't show or claim any relationship to the Bay12 community, and unless I'm missing something crucial there doesn't seem to be much overlap between this and Dwarf Fortress... Why would DF players, specifically, have an increased interest in playing your game?

At the moment, without having any real connection to the community, this post is effectively on the level of a spambot. We don't know you, you don't seem to know us, so why would we be invested in this project?

If you're looking to develop a relationship with the community, that's great! But right now that doesn't really come across in the OP, so it looks more like a faceless advertisement. And that's not something we really respond all that well to.

Yes, it's my first post in the forum, I found it recently when someone mentioned it in reedit.
This post serves as a introduction on who I'am and what I do , and I'm intending in posting my progress in this thread, unless it's against the rules (I haven't seen anything in the rules against it).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

From the Forum Guidelines (In General Discussion.)

It's a grey area, in truth. We like developers coming here to post about their games, and have that one on one discussion. What gets people's hackles up though is when they feel developers aren't coming here to be part of the community (and talk about their game), but just dropping a copy/paste advertisement in, because we're a relatively active gaming community and therefore people see $$$ when they look at us.

You seem like a human though and not a spam bot. Not sure I'd play your game or give you money for it, it reminds me a bit too much of Alan Wake. But I don't have a problem with your post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I for one welcome any game developer looking to break out in a tough indie marketplace, especially since they're taking the time and effort to actively seek out our community and respond here on our forum instead of passively letting their own website or store portal do the work for them.

Welcome to the Bay12 forums Bruno_Sky! I wish you and your team all the best of luck with your game and hope it takes off. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to our community and inform us of a title I otherwise probably wouldn't have seen before. I look forward to when your game is completed and ready to release in full, and I'm keeping a note to keep an eye out for a Let's Play from your community to see how the first fifteen minutes of the game present themselves. Based on the results and feedback from your customer base, I'll definitely consider picking up your title.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Steam page has a gameplay video.

unless gameplay is 100% walking, steam has two repetitive sneak peek at the game environments.