Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crew Simulators  (Read 3824 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Crew Simulators
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:58 am »

Lovers... just eventually gave me and friends a headache. It was fun for 40 mins or so figuring things out, but once we'd figured it out and gotten a couple different ship config things, it petered out very quickly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 11:32:41 am »

Airmen
I tried it a bit, back then, and didn't find it really good.
There is too few players (and I mean basically nobody : 10 players at peak hours), and the gameplay is not fun.
If I want to play a "build a flying ship, and fly it with some people to discover some islands and shoot at other crews", I'll play Worlds Adrift.

Multi-crew ships were one of the features that pulled me onto the Star Citizen hype train several years ago. I was thrilled thinking about flying a Constellation with real people manning the gun stations.
Then I realized it was going nowhere and sold my packages for a couple hundred € profit.
I tried it during the free week last month, and it's just not a game yet.
There is nearly nothing to do, the systems to help/prevent PvP are really bad and they do not want to make small adjustments before overhauling them completely, and some of the game systems are just here to add time to your playtime without bringing anything to the board.
Moreover, there are bugs and glitches everywhere and the optimization (while way better than before, apparently) still is worse than most games.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 11:37:51 am »

Lovers... just eventually gave me and friends a headache. It was fun for 40 mins or so figuring things out, but once we'd figured it out and gotten a couple different ship config things, it petered out very quickly.
This is pretty much what I've heard from other sources as well; that it's very much front-loaded with a cutesy aesthetic, and then doesn't really have much of a game going on once you've gotten past the introductions.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 08:37:07 pm »

PULSAR: Lost Colony (its in ozytons list)
I'd say its the closest to a star-treky style game, with some random-ish quests that are either exploration based, or one of the factions based[WD Corp-Evil Corp Empire Faction, Colonial Union-Startreky faction, Gentleman Alliance- Pirate Faction, Fluffy Biscuits Company-Biscuit based faction], or bounty hunting... with both ship on ship combat, boarding combat and away missions (you can capture ships via boarding, and even switch to them, but you cant say, pilot 2 ships at once).

It's a 1-5 player game (i suggest atleast 3 real people, the ais are ok but not amazing) and get to play Captain, Science officer, Chief Engineer, Pilot, Chief Weapons officer. The contents a bit lacking (i doubt you'll get more then 20-25 hours out of it), but it does have a bit of progression, both in ship upgrades (which can be wrenched from a captured enemy ship if you have a trackerbeam thing or traded for at a station), and the `chaos factor` for the galaxy gets higher making some extreme events happen.. you ship WILL be destroyed eventually.

The jobs on the ship do have different stuff they can do, different consoles n stuff, which is nice. I personally find pilot the most boring... the science officer can launch and defend against hacking, handles scanning/launching probes and can heal people, the engineer handles the power output/heat of the engine and balances the load on the systems, even turning subsystems on/off for a bit more power (Who needs lights or oxygen on a ship when you could just have a bit more power to the shields!). The weapons guy pretty much controls the missile launchers/laser turrets on the ship, and has skills also for being stronger at in-person guns too.. the captain is unspecialized, and have lots of bonuses for the entire crew...  The pilot gets bonuses to.. piloting..

It's got some little touches here and there that are cute, you can also play a random dice game in the ship lounge while your captain yells at the pilot on the bridge... Some ships have hidden places to hide smuggled goods so the scanning drones wont notice them.. theres a decent amount of ships, all with their own layouts, some have special stuff, and start with different focuses of equipment (or outright special equipment like the  cloaking device)  so the ships play a bit differently, some can literally hide from scans, some are more like big destroyers, ones literally a biscuit delivery service.. You can on purpose or accident blow up your ship by redlining your ship-engine-core, including launching it out of your ship last-second ala startrek to basically act as a nuke. ..Theres also nukes, they are rarer though.   They recently added two new `species` you can play/fight/etc with, on top of normal humans, one of which is literally robots, the other a alien, all three species have a significant perk/downside.

Games still in EA, and its a small team, they do put out new patches every couple months, with a few bigger content patches a year. Of all the games here, it's perhaps the best ship crew experience i had, but i can also understand if people don't want to buy a EA game, and rather wait a year or two until its `done`.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:01:22 pm by Rift »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 11:28:12 pm »

If you're into mobile games, there's this one called Spaceteam.

Never tried it, but its reviews are good and it seems to match the style of game you're asking after.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 02:02:45 am »

If you're into mobile games, there's this one called Spaceteam.

I've played it in small groups a few times-- it's not bad in short spurts, but it isn't anything serious. More of a party game.

Basically, everybody's staring at their own unique control panel, and there's a ticker on everybody's screen showing different instructions. The group has to follow the instructions quickly or you get dinged; enough failures, and it's a game over.

It basically devolves into "Set the hydroscope to 3. Set the hoverthing to what? Shake. SHAAAAKE! Who has the broken gyro in their phone-- Pinsqueeze engage! Popcorn lock on. POPCORN LOCK O-- oh, I have it."
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 07:34:01 am »

I believe the upcoming piratey sim ATLAS does this?
Poysky Productions

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 10:57:22 am »

I believe the upcoming piratey sim ATLAS does this?
It's a little difficult to say at this point, since it's not out for a couple days still and there's no actual gameplay that's been shown off. It's an MMO though, so the "focus" is also likely going to be a bit different, and there's the option to hire on NPC crew instead of having to use players. Not sure what's going to end up becoming the preferred option in the real game, especially considering the PvP section is full PvP, including the capturing/selling/scuttling of enemy ships that they had to buy/build from the ground up, along with whatever was onboard. That's a lot of risk involved, potentially. Certainly an interesting concept though, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

...and then I peek at the Steam forum for the game, and holy shit that is a cancerous environment... Good grief. All sea life in the game's oceans will die out immediately due to the horrific pH imbalance from coming into contact with all that acidic bile.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »

I enjoyed playing Lovers for a bit, although I only got to play it for a bit 'cause it's short as heck and my friends played through most of it without me, haha. Not sure how much staying power it has, but well, they finished it at least.

Swinging giant laser flails around the screen trying frantically to keep everyone alive amidst swarms of epilepsy is good fun.

...It'd be nice if Worlds Adrift had a PS4 release. I remember looking at that a while back and being awed.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »

Might not be quite what you're looking for but I figure I'd suggest Mush.Twinoid.com, which is pretty much The Thing in outer space, where a crew of 16 people gotta keep the ship together/research/do expeditions while 2 players are randomly chosen to be the Mush and try to convert people.  More on the casual side (AP restores over time, so you really only have to show up once or twice a day), and if I remember correctly you need to buy/earn tickets to have a private ship (To ensure you all show up on the same ship), but I remember having quite a lot of fun with it. 

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

On a similar note, there's Die2Nite, which is about a town that must survive for as long as possible versus hordes of zombies that occur daily.

Similarly to Mush, only, this time, you (probably) don't have anyone in the town actively working against your interests, there's about 40 people, and AP restores between attacks (so, in other words, daily) rather than over time. There's also a premium "Hero Mode" which lets you have a specialized role and gear, as well as access to things like personal upgrades that open up a variety of new ways to not die as fast.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:06 pm »

Worlds Adrift (MMO-ish Airship exploration/building game)  has started getting a bit more interesting. (islands can have hidden chests placed by the designers, often behind various little challenges), theres also marauder compasses which basically point out a location on a possibly distant island with buried treasure... Crew-stuff is a bit easier to manage too since `alliances` (the equivalent to guilds) are in. Also the lag went from unplayable to pretty ok these days.
It's still got a while to go before i'd try to convince people to buy it, but there is certainly some fun to be had if building a airship and flying it around is your jam.

Theres a whole subgenre of sandbox space sim [mine then build-your-ship then fly it around], that if you play coop could be vaguely near this genre. (Space Engineers, Avorion.. etc)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 06:27:54 pm »

Last I heard about Worlds Adrift, there was a slight problem with souped-up airships hovering around starter islands and preventing people from lifting off. I'm guessing that got addressed?

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 01:17:09 am »

Last I heard about Worlds Adrift, there was a slight problem with souped-up airships hovering around starter islands and preventing people from lifting off. I'm guessing that got addressed?

There is a simple PvE server that obviously fixes this, but I also wonder about whether this problem was really present :
I played quite a bit in the "low tier" zones this year (because I've got a few friends playing the game casually, and basically created a new character for each of them), and I never had a problem like this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 02:56:03 am »

Might not be quite what you're looking for but I figure I'd suggest Mush.Twinoid.com, which is pretty much The Thing in outer space, where a crew of 16 people gotta keep the ship together/research/do expeditions while 2 players are randomly chosen to be the Mush and try to convert people.  More on the casual side (AP restores over time, so you really only have to show up once or twice a day), and if I remember correctly you need to buy/earn tickets to have a private ship (To ensure you all show up on the same ship), but I remember having quite a lot of fun with it.
Oooooh that sounds cool. I played a fair bit of Die2Nite and related fuckery back in the days of yore.
I think I'll give this a try.   

Edit: wait, apparently I've played it before. I kinda remember it now - pretty sure I was quickly put off by the silly pre-made characters, haha.
The game I played finished and I have stats and an end-of-game message, but I have no idea whether I actually did more than a couple of actions or if I was just dragged along whilst AFK. *shrug*   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:08:44 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2]