Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deity Sharing  (Read 624 times)

Achitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deity Sharing
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:40:57 am »

In a similar way in which the Ancient Greeks and Romans "shared" gods, would it possibly make sense if a dwarf civ and a human civ shared a god or two for some reason or another? Might make diplomacy interesting, though it would probably be unlikely for a goblin civ and a dwarf civ to share gods, let alone anything else other than injuries and insults.

Just an idea, perhaps it could make it easier for deity "sharing" civs to get along, or to anger each other in disagreement over who that Deity/Pantheon/Eldritch Horror favors, possibly leading to a holy war, that would be something.

VislarRn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deity Sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:51:22 pm »

Neat idea. It would make knowing religious lore actually useful.
Shared gods between civs - higher chance of an alliance.
Different gods - might result more neutral state in diplomacy.
Controversial gods - e.g. goblin god that seeks destruction of dwarves, might result in high antagonism between goblin and dwarf civs.

It might fall into the category of M&M or later updates though.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:16 pm »

Quote from: Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett
'...Bloody I've-got-a-big-hammer Blind Io up on Nob Hill does all the thundering.'
'I thought you said there were hundreds of thunder gods,' said Brutha.
'Yeah. And he's all of 'em. Rationalisation. A couple of tribes join up, they've both got thunder gods, right? And the gods kind of run together - you know how amoebas split?'
'No.'
'Well, it's like that, only the other way.'
'I still don't see how one god can be a hundred thunder gods. They all look different...'
'False noses.'
'What?'
'And different voices. I happen to know Io's got seventy different hammers. Not common knowledge, that. And it's just the same with the mother goddesses. There's only one of 'em. She's just got lots of wigs and of course it's amazing what you can do with a padded bra.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:02:08 pm by Starver »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:52:33 am »

Most likely to be implenented but neat Idea. Ich think once Religions Set Up outposts this is bound to happen.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:56:50 am »

This seems to be about to happen next release.