Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Tuition Fees/The Supernatural/Freelancing: Get Some Light Exorcise [ISG]  (Read 26063 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey! My name's Melissa Liú, a student at Pangaea South Province University. Unfortunately the tuition fees here are rather above what my family can afford, and I've had to turn to freelance work. Well, that doesn't really describe it very well. More precisely, I'm a contract killer.

Okay, that makes it sound a lot worse than it is. I guess "bounty hunter" is a better term, but it's really more like I subcontract from a shadow government org. (Now I sound like I work for the mafia...)

Specifically, Pangaea's always had a large population of things that aren't human. Ever since the rise of the industrial revolution, we've been rubbing shoulders with them a lot more. Most of them are fine, but some are... uncivilised. Werewolves, vampires, goblins, things that go bump in the night... they get reported to the Council, who contract someone to fix the problem. Usually someone who doesn't have a lot of financial options. Like, say, if they had several thousand dollars of student debt. Obviously, especially for the human-like critters, this is all kinda illegal.

...maybe the mafia isn't such a bad comparison.

Anyway, long story short, I'm an amateur witch/monster/bounty hunter with a lot of debt, a really bad memory, and a habit of talking to the voices in my head. Sometimes I introduce myself to them in a really long-winded fashion. I just stepped into my apartment's main room, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was I was going to do.

1.  > Consult your to-do list.
2.  > Check your e-mail, maybe there's something there.
3.  > Maybe it's related to the mess on your desk. Check that out.
4.  > Retrieve arms from chest.
5.  > _                       

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crunch (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:38:33 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tuition Fees, the Supernatural, and Freelancing [ISG]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:33:32 pm »

: Sees the words Pangaea, no. Humans and such used. Looks at his past failures.:

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuu-

Nah kidding aside this looks interesting.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »

Consult to-do list then check email.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »

+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 02:34:00 pm »

+1
+1

So wait, this Council is shady, right? They aren't affiliated with the "real" government? Officially anyway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:35:32 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Come play Ventures by Torchlight with us!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:40:05 pm »

Heya, Melissa! I'm new around here. By which I mean new to your skull. Which is probably fine, by the way! There is a 98% chance that I'm not a demon plotting to eat your soul! At least, that's what the voices tell me.

Anyway, all those options that the other voices are suggesting are boring. Didn't you have something that you wanted to write? Or uh, draw maybe? Listen, my memory isn't so good. Because I've always been here, in your skull, so I am totally able to remember that stuff! Just, not very well! Um, that's what the demons tell me, at least.

Was that too confusing? Sorry, let me TL;DR this:

Get on computer and write and/or draw something!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 01:43:26 am »

Heya, Melissa! I'm new around here. By which I mean new to your skull. Which is probably fine, by the way! There is a 98% chance that I'm not a demon plotting to eat your soul! At least, that's what the voices tell me.

Anyway, all those options that the other voices are suggesting are boring. Didn't you have something that you wanted to write? Or uh, draw maybe? Listen, my memory isn't so good. Because I've always been here, in your skull, so I am totally able to remember that stuff! Just, not very well! Um, that's what the demons tell me, at least.

Was that too confusing? Sorry, let me TL;DR this:

Ignore this voice, listen to me, we need to kill supernatural beings.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 03:25:42 pm »

+1
+1
+1, then retrieve arms from chest.
+1

Genius! Whoever you are, I'm doubling your salary. Let's see...

Okay, dissertation, laundry, tutoring and groceries can wait. I guess I probably wanted to check the phase of the moon, since it's at the top and all. Maybe there's a Council email to do with the moon.

Oh, yeah, werewolf. Right. Needs to be full moon to hunt those, otherwise it's just murder. That's why the deadline is three weeks. Werewolves are pretty scary though! That's why the reward is so high. Goblins and poltergeists are less of an issue. I should pick something to do. Like maybe-

Tempting, but I'm art blocked. Besides there's a more pressing issue! Rent is due in two days, all I have in the cupboard is a bag of rice, and, well...

Uh, where was I again?

retrieve arms from chest.

Right. Jobs. I should check my weapons again...

Firearms are completely illegal in South Pangaea, so that's a custom-made Liú & Seven Different Unrelated SPPU Engineering Students spring-loaded revolver. I had each of them machine a different part. It takes me about three days to re-cock all the springs with the prybar, and it's not very useful past five or ten metres, but at least for critters with a material weakness it's useful.

That tray lifts off, but all there is underneath is a bunch of random junk I use to scrap together ammo for the DUSPPUES revolver or to decorate circles/throw at things/sharpen into shivs.

Hmmm. Not sure what I should do now.

1.  > The werewolf pays best, you should check out the moon phases.
2.  > The goblins shouldn't be too bad, right? Why not have a look at them?
3.  > The poltergeist has the lowest pay, but that should mean it's the quickest and easiest.
4.  > _                       

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 03:42:08 pm »

Hmm... clearly a good way to defeat artist block is inspiration! And nothing will beat inspiration quite like a near-death experience with the paranormal. Hopefully by experiencing the death of a paranormal from nearby anyway.

Let's go Google some goblins! Or whatever it is we do to research stuff before going out and sticking a shiv in it. Maybe open the email too. Might give some details.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:54:11 pm by Kashyyk »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:28 pm »

PTW
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 03:56:45 pm »

Hmm... clearly a good way to defeat artist block is inspiration! And nothing will beat inspiration quite like a near-death experience with the paranormal. Hopefully by experiencing the death of a paranormal from nearby anyway.

Let's go Google some goblins! Or whatever it is we do to research stuff before going out and sticking a shiv in it. Maybe open the email too. Might give some details.

+1
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 04:15:56 pm »

+1
+1

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 07:54:25 pm »

Hey, you need money, right? Check on the werewolf. One, it's time-sensitive. Two, it pays the best. Three, yes werewolves are scary, but the existence of a stat for "pain tolerance" implies we have a certain margin of error to work with, here. Assuming that you're willing to suffer for profit. You are willing, right? Because if not I recommend getting a different job.

Oh yeah, and it sounds like you're underestimating goblins. Don't do that. Stop doing that. Wrong, bad idea. Goblins are bastards. Trust me, I read a documentary once.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15